1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone know of a quick way to open/close the output pane in Kontakt?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Headlands, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Headlands

Headlands Senior Member

Aug 18, 2017
    They revised it a while ago and made it require more clicks and scrolling (maybe they designed it with Steinberg - hahaha) for some reason, especially when you want to close it . Is there a quicker way to close it with just one click like you used to be able to? Have I been missing something obvious all this time?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  2. Breaker

Breaker Senior Member

Jul 17, 2017
  3. OP
    OP
    Headlands

Headlands Senior Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Thanks -- unfortunately that doesn't seem to work, in Cubase, anyway.

4. artmuz

artmuz Senior Member

Dec 22, 2015
    Finland
    F2 is transport in cubase, but that maybe be released in key commands.

5. Breaker

Breaker Senior Member

Jul 17, 2017
    I don't think Cubase lets any key strokes through to the VSTi's.
    Some DAW's have this option, but I should've realised from OP's signature that he is on Cubase

6. OP
    OP
    Headlands

Headlands Senior Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Damn. Man, Cubase is making me really angry these days for a lot of reasons. :)

Is there any other quick key in Kontakt? It was so fast before, so weird when companies change something to make it need more work to use.

7. Breaker

Breaker Senior Member

Jul 17, 2017
    Actually I'm not even sure if the VST version of Kontakt has these shortcuts. At least they are not mentioned in the menu itself.

But yeah, I think the buttons were hidden in the menus between 5.5 and 5.6.
    Not very user friendly especially when your creating a template of 100+ Kontakt instances.

8. OP
    OP
    Headlands

Headlands Senior Member

Aug 18, 2017
    I see. Thanks for letting me know.

I fail to understand why some companies make newer versions of their software more tedious to use than older versions, in basic ways such as this. NI is notorious for this (Battery 4 vs. Battery 3 in certain ways, for instance), as is Steinberg. To me it's the most basic tenet of usability -- if something is easier to do workflow-wise, keep it that way; if it's not easy to do workflow-wise, find ways of making it easier.

9. thevisi0nary

thevisi0nary Senior Member

Jan 17, 2018
    This is why I am going into software development. It really blows my mind that a lot of companies don't have an average user sit down and just sound off practical ways to improve the user experience.

10. OP
    OP
    Headlands

Headlands Senior Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Hear, hear. It blows my mind, too. As I said: Both Steinberg and NI are head-smashingly guilty of this. I'm not sure what beta testers they use, but they clearly aren't people who like a super fast and efficient workflow with everything. It's these little things that totally add up in a day of full work.

11. storyteller

storyteller Senior Member

Dec 26, 2015
  12. thevisi0nary

thevisi0nary Senior Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Too be fair I see this issue in tons of software. The hotel I work at was in the process of migrating to an expensive online reservation system, and they lost the sale simply because they lacked a simple feature that allowed you to hold reservations while you decided where to put them. Seemed like a no brainer to me.

13. OP
    OP
    Headlands

Headlands Senior Member

Aug 18, 2017
    We do need people like you in software development.

14. OP
    OP
    Headlands

Headlands Senior Member

Aug 18, 2017
    So in Reaper you can just right click on the Output window and close the Output window from there? Still one more step than it used to be, but what you're talking about doesn't exist in Cubase for some reason.

15. storyteller

storyteller Senior Member

Dec 26, 2015
    Even more simple than that. Right-clicking within the kontakt window toggles whatever panel views you have enabled. It isn't right-click -> close. It is literally just right-click.

16. OP
    OP
    Headlands

Headlands Senior Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Huh -- it's the same in Cubase, never knew that. But what it does, at least in Cubase, is it opens the Quick-Load menu (which is smaller than the Output menu but still occupies real estate and doesn't actually close whatever other panels are open, just temporarily hides them)...unless there's a way to change what right click does. Much better would be the way it used to be: A small "x" in the upper right corner of the Output panel.