What's new

Anyone know how to fix this: signal dropout in Logic Step Editor

Garry

Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 8.21.44 PM.png

The apparent 'drop out' in the CC1 coding in the step editor seems to be due to the fact that it only writes when there is continuous movement of the fader - if the value remains steady, no value is shown in the step editor, whereas you can see there is a value in the piano roll. Any reason for this, or a way to address it?

halfwalk

That's how MIDI CCs work; they are discrete points (numerical values), not lines. If there's no change, no data needs to be written/read, hence the "bars" which indicate the CC being set to a certain number. If there's no change, there's no "bar," rather than setting a redundant value a thousand times in the space of every quarter note until a new value is entered.

As for how to change the appearance of it in that specific DAW, no idea, sorry.

Last edited:
OP
Garry

Garry

Yes, good point, but it's not how they're represented in the piano roll where the data is shown as continuous, not discrete. Anyway to force the step editor to do likewise?

halfwalk

Forcing the step editor to do that would be kind of counter-intuitive because while you're trying to edit one step, it would add a bunch more steps in an attempt to interpolate the changes you've entered (as a line). I assume the design is very intentional, to limit you to editing one step at a time (without inserting additional points in the process of making that edit).

But anyway, sorry, I can't actually help you, just trying to express my understanding of the design philosophy.

OP
Garry

Garry

Thanks for the help, but I'm not sure if this is actually the design. I'm looking at a YouTube video below where he's explaining the use of the step editor, and it does not look the same as mine (even when there is no movement in the value), so I think it must be some setting I have wrong.

Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 8.48.57 PM.png

Top Bottom