What's new

Anyone know a great beginner composer course? Thanks

Shine

Wondering what yall know about a great beginner composer course. Ive got a good kit ready, and a little piano skill;
Looking for a kind of step by step way to dive in deeply. Or even more advanced things that I could at least learn
important clear concepts for building harmonic structures, etc. All those important elements I can intuit but dont even
know the names for all of them yet. Thanks

Hey there! Are you looking to build a foundation of solid, traditional composition knowledge in a general sense, or composition with a particular end/angle in mind (Like film scoring, concert composition, songwriting, etc.)?

There is a lot of great material out there.

Hey there! Are you looking to build a foundation of solid, traditional composition knowledge in a general sense, or composition with a particular end/angle in mind (Like film scoring, concert composition, songwriting, etc.)?

Hey, thanks for the response. Id say exactly Both of the lines you mentioned; more toward the
Film, concert, songwriting end - But Id like to have an understanding of the more traditional foundations - not necessarily as a deep study in itself, but more in the way that kind of knowledge would support the film, concert etc. work. Thanks

Wondering what yall know about a great beginner composer course. Ive got a good kit ready, and a little piano skill;
Looking for a kind of step by step way to dive in deeply. Or even more advanced things that I could at least learn
important clear concepts for building harmonic structures, etc. All those important elements I can intuit but dont even
know the names for all of them yet. Thanks
Once You get familiar with some basics I recommend trying Mike Verta's Composition 1. This is not a step by step tutorial, rather open broad but very informative lesson.

My two cents: If you are really a beginner that would feel uncomfortable starting a college level music theory class, I would suggest you hook up with a local church organist and set up weekly music theory lessons. That man/woman normally has years of college training under their belt that could advance you to the point where you could consume with benefit from the Mike Vertas or vi's Farkle on film scoring basics.

By looking up and hiring a local, you'd be helping a music brother or sister. Just another option to consider. Cheers.

My two cents: If you are really a beginner that would feel uncomfortable starting a college level music theory class, I would suggest you hook up with a local church organist and set up weekly music theory lessons. That man/woman normally has years of college training under their belt that could advance you to the point where you could consume with benefit from the Mike Vertas or vi's Farkle on film scoring basics.

By looking up and hiring a local, you'd be helping a music brother or sister. Just another option to consider. Cheers.
I like your thinking... woulda never thought of that angel. Thanks

Just........BEGIN.
Great response! Thanks - Nothing like jumping in. That is how I got this far. Loving the journey. Just about have all my set up connected and ready for the swim!

Music Matters, free on YouTube is one I frequently come back to. They also offer paid courses that are more structured. Unless I misunderstood you have a foundation of music theory you are looking to build on? 🙂

Thanks a lot... Got it Bookmarked to explore.

Both and all... very interested in all you mentioned

I started with Groove3 and AskVideo Music Theory Complete Training. Each website is only 15$ per month for complete library.
Thanks... really appreciate your response. Helps a lot getting these clues that people have such expeince with. Thank You I will ck it out!
Scoreclub. You can't go wrong...it's all there. Start with the "Essential Foundation"

best

ed
Cool... Thank You... that sounds really good.

Top Bottom