What's new

Anyone here recorded Live Orchestra in sections?

Spectator

Hi there,

Has anyone here recording live orchestral parts in sections?

everything separate, strings, brass, winds, harp, percussion etc etc

how does things work in terms of mixing with decca trees?

any mixing / audio examples?

thanks!

benatural

I've done it. I'm no mixing expert but what I did was take the tree from each section and blend them together. I got the idea to just use the tree mics from an Alan Meyerson interview where he mentioned that he just uses the tree. It keeps the imaging accurate and stable, and it's not unlike doing the same thing for your samples.

One caveat to know - recording sections increases the amount of editing and clean up work by an extreme amount. So if you're on a tight deadline, you may want to factor that in to your planning because it will be a significant burden.

I've done it. I'm no mixing expert but what I did was take the tree from each section and blend them together. I got the idea to just use the tree mics from an Alan Meyerson interview where he mentioned that he just uses the tree. It keeps the imaging accurate and stable, and it's not unlike doing the same thing for your samples.

One caveat to know - recording sections increases the amount of editing and clean up work by an extreme amount. So if you're on a tight deadline, you may want to factor that in to your planning because it will be a significant burden.
this is cool, so you just used the tree's for all sections and did you pan everything full LRC?

benatural

this is cool, so you just used the tree's for all sections and did you pan everything full LRC?
Yes exactly, I just kept the tree mix identical for most things. Well.... actually come to think of it, I did adjust the LCR mix slightly in different ways to expand the stereo width here and there. The project was about a year ago so it's coming back to me slowly.

bryla

Most of what I do tend to be recorded in full but it happens from time to time that it is recorded striped.

At those times it's still mostly Decca that is used. Not sure how the engineer phase aligns.

Last edited:
Hi there,

thanks!
Happens all the time. Creative considerations:

- Takes longer. More than just no. of sections x cue time... You notice more stuff, and it takes longer to drill down into the dynamics and other nuances, as there's less context.
- Pitching is harder, especially for woodwinds - for that reason people often take the ww and strings together, unless they absolutely have to be stemmed separately.

Technical considerations:

- Editing will take longer - partly, like above, because you notice more stuff. Partly because the different sections won't be moving in step quite like they would if it was going down tutti. Partly because you have more intrinsic edit flexibility.
- Mixing in one sense is easier, you can find a more natural mic blend for each section without worrying about spill or having to artificially crank up spot mics. For a good orch in a good hall, that means using predominantly the Decca tree and outrigger mics, and filling in other close bits if needed.
- On the other hand, you'll probably have to do more overall automation of the sections to help the dynamics along.
- If you're stacking up many sections, recorded in a big hall with vintage M50s and other valve goodies as your main mics then noise floor can become an issue with quiet material.

Daryl

Hi there,

thanks!
We do everything in stems, not because it sounds better, because it doesn't, but because certain clients won't even consider music where the stems aren't available. The issues have pretty much all been mentioned above. If you want to hear a few examples, there are plenty on our Website.

https://2ndfoundationmusic.com/albums

Top Bottom