Anyone got any good tutorials on creating Whooshes and Whooshbangs?

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
Title says it all really. I'm just wondering if there are any decent tutorials that people have seen of someone showing how to create Whooshes and Whooshbangs?

It's all very convenient using commercial sound design libraries and tweaking them etc but creating everything yourself either to use in your own music or create to sell to people has gotta be a good thing.

I just came across this one from DosComp and how to make Whooshes in Serum.

Would be excellent if anyone else can add to this...

D Halgren

Title says it all really. I'm just wondering if there are any decent tutorials that people have seen of someone showing how to create Whooshes and Whooshbangs?

It's all very convenient using commercial sound design libraries and tweaking them etc but creating everything yourself either to use in your own music or create to sell to people has gotta be a good thing.

@karelpsota Evenant course is really good and has a broad range of techniques. Maybe take a look at that.

gsilbers

Part of Pulsesetter-Sounds.com

Not tutorial...
App

jcrosby

Not tutorial...
App

Soundweaver is THE BALLS. The great thing about it is it indexes your drive(s) by tag metadata then throws together random combinations you'd never put together by hand, based on search keywords you have it search for, then randomize. It also auto-phase aligns. You can use it to layer pretty much anything. Get as normal or weird as you want... Want to layer a lama and a fart? Roll the dice! :P

Plus it has some features for generating variations, exporting stems, etc. If you haven't checked it out before Boom did a couple short videos about it, well worth watching.

Also check out UVI Whoosh...

And for sure you can use Serum, but Whoosh really is dialed in just for this kind of thing, and meant to do it quickly... If you do a decent amount of sound design either of these will pay for themselves quickly...

Last edited:

karelpsota

http://karelpsota.com/

David Yousefi enrolled in my course 2 years ago. He's a really good trailer composer and now friend.

Didn't expect him to copy-paste verbatim what I taught in that Serum Whoosh video...
But it's cool, he paid for my course so he can do what he wants with that knowledge :)
(I really encourage my students to innovate, but they tend to copy everything I show to the letter haha)

That whoosh video is one of the basic ways to generate source material.
It takes more processing and layering to get something sounding pro.

I've developed some more advanced techniques, but they are slightly more complex as their based on drum synthesis.

Here's an unlisted video of how I design "Perc Roll Whoosh Hits" 100% synth:

And here's how they sound in a trailer (same sample):

0:15 0:22 and 1:10

The new Evenant platform is under construction, but you can still access the course on the old site :)

Last edited:
OP
jononotbono

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
David Yousefi enrolled in my course 2 years ago. He's a really good trailer composer and now friend.

Didn't expect him to copy-paste verbatim what I taught in that Serum Whoosh video...
But it's cool, he paid for my course so he can do what he wants with that knowledge :)
(I really encourage my students to innovate, but they tend to copy everything I show to the letter haha)

That whoosh video is one of the basic ways to generate source material.
It takes more processing and layering to get something sounding pro.

I've developed some more advanced techniques, but they are slightly more complex as their based on drum synthesis.

Here's an unlisted video of how I design "Perc Roll Whoosh Hits" 100% synth:

And here's how they sound in a trailer (same sample):

0:15 0:22 and 1:10

The new Evenant platform is under construction, but you can still access the course on the old site :)

Ah man, I didn't realize it was your course. I shall check it out! Thank you so much!

OP
jononotbono

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
I've just dared to watch a Keep Forest video on their library called Risenge. Man, that looks amazing as well! Oh god. It never ends.

Last edited:

Rory

Filmmaker
There’s a fellow named Scott Hirsch in New York who teaches at NYU and is a musician and serious sound designer in his own right. A few years ago, he did a video course for Lynda.com (now owned by LinkedIn) on sound design for film that included a video on making whooshes from scratch. I mean really from scratch. The whole course, indeed anything by Hirsch (he’s also done courses on Logic and Pro Tools), is worth watching.

The first month at LinkedIn/Lynda is free.

Last edited:

Rory

Filmmaker
There’s a fellow named Scott Hirsch in New York who teaches at NYU and is a musician and serious sound designer in his own right. A few years ago, he did a video course for Lynda.com (now owned by LinkedIn) on sound design for film that included a video on making whooshes from scratch. I mean really from scratch. The whole course, indeed anything by Hirsch (he’s also done courses on Logic and Pro Tools), is worth watching.

Correction. Scott Hirsch is now in California, where he founded https://www.echo-magic.com/

In 2015, he engineered and mixed an album nominated for a Grammy.

He’s still an adjunct professor at NYU.

Rctec

Fantastic video @karelpsota !

The trick is really in having the best reverb possible.

I use Zebra + Pro R for those kind of percussive sounds which gets me good results (for a hobbyist).
We use ZebraHZ (obviousl!) in all our work and Kevin Schroeder and Howie Scarr are brilliant at all that... mind you, I love getting lost in programming all this myself. Zebra is just such a solid, quality instrument...

OP
jononotbono

jononotbono

Luke Johnson

Sounds amazing! I’ll check it out!

OP
jononotbono

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
Fantastic video @karelpsota !

The trick is really in having the best reverb possible.

I use Zebra + Pro R for those kind of percussive sounds which gets me good results (for a hobbyist).
So a “clean” reverb is good for this? I’ve been using Valhalla and Blackhole for sound design but last night I did buy Creative Rooms so I’m trying to learn that. It sounds amazing. I’ll have to try zebra with creative rooms and see what happens! :)

Pier

We use ZebraHZ (obviousl!) in all our work and Kevin Schroeder and Howie Scarr are brilliant at all that... mind you, I love getting lost in programming all this myself. Zebra is just such a solid, quality instrument...
It really is amazing. I actually got into it after reading you used it for the Batman movies.

Can't wait for Zebra 3! (and Zebra 3 HZ obviously!)

Pier

So a “clean” reverb is good for this? I’ve been using Valhalla and Blackhole for sound design but last night I did buy Creative Rooms so I’m trying to learn that. It sounds amazing. I’ll have to try zebra with creative rooms and see what happens! :)
What's this Creative Rooms? Is it a pedal?

dzilizzi

Some libraries have access to Lynda for free. You just need a library card. (LA County is one of them. I will go look for his courses. Thanks