What's new

Anyone fancy a (gasp!) VSL string trio?

Paul T McGraw

Sounds great. I have tried other solo strings, but VSL is still king for anything remotely classical in nature. The cello, in particular, sounds great.

I could not follow the structure, which always makes me feel a bit disoriented. I never could identify any unifying motive or melody. Perhaps that is not your style. Anyway, great sound, great performance, very musical.

OP
Dear Villain

Dear Villain

Hi Paul,

Thanks for listening and for your kind words. I guess with regard to form/structure, the overarching motives/themes are not as readily transparent as Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, but I definitely try to incorporate subtle motives that are developed and transformed during the piece. Further, rhythmic patterns and harmonic progressions can be utilized to add cohesion to a piece without the need to necessarily follow for instance, a sonata allegro form. I'll often even bookmark a piece with the opening phrase used to conclude the piece.

That's not to say I haven't written numerous works with a more obvious form (Classical Follies for String Orchestra, Awakening for Piano Trio, Cantus Quintus for Brass Quintet are a few such examples) but I never allow myself to be constrained by conventional musical elements unless I feel that's the direction I want to go from the start.

Hope this sheds some light on my thought process,

David Carovillano

Last edited:

Paul T McGraw

Hi David,

I like the piece as is. I suppose we will just have to agree to disagree regarding the importance of a more obvious structure. I did not intend to sound overly critical. This is an impressive piece. I will repeat myself since I am sincere (ha, sort of like a structural element :)) great sound, great performance, very musical.

Top Bottom