What's new

Anyone else waiting for the 3rd gen Threadripper to build a DAW?

I did a quick look and only found motherboards with Thunderbolt header in the GIGABYTE TRX40 series...
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/AMD-TRX40

The TRX40 DESIGNARE comes with the Thunderbolt card
And you can throw in this 8tb ssd

I'm curious if there are boards supporting more than 256gb ram.

Shit I’m waiting for Intel to fight back.
The 14nm process for them is over, they should’ve never released the 10 series.
Just sell everything left at cost & 10% to at least keep some market share.
This is embarrassing.

They’ve been smoked by the AMD CEO.
If they were smart they’d hire her.

Now the question is, what memory to get... 128gig preferably. QVL doesn't help a lot...

I do not know, maybe the Ballistix Sport LT 3200 that people love to tweak/overclock

I do not know, maybe the Ballistix Sport LT 3200 that people love to tweak/overclock

Something that seems to be happening is how the CAS Settings on AM4 boards can be confusing as they default to even numbers, which really is helpful.
CAS 17 DDR 4 once tweaked will reset to CAS 16, which is optimal for 3733MHz.
I’ve read on some tests this isn’t showing up until benched, but seems to be a consensus since sticks of CAS 16 are non existent.

So when you get set up with 3733, on some 3200 sticks, CAS 16 will be reset for you even if the SPD isn’t showing the number.
Great news if this true.

I’d advise direct cooling just to be safe No need to brick your Memory.

G.Skill has some interesting kits coming out (late Q4, but no one really knows when):

Look at bottom of the page. I wonder if it is worth waiting for.
128gig 3600 MHz C16 seems doable with 8x16 or 4x32.

I also read somewhere that the memory controller slows down the timing the more slots are occupied. Maybe 4 sticks is optimal?

Any of these options are bound to be a dramatic leap forward from my 7-year-old i7 2600 w 32GB. On the other hand, this machine still hums along really well, without significant problems or headaches, so I'm not desperate or particularly in a hurry.
I love it! I'm just now upgrading my i7-2600k from 16GB of ram to 32gb. I've been running some tests on it and the ram was the only significant bottle neck. The CPU is basically ok, as long as I freeze some tracks. Of course, I'm not running huge orchestra templates, like some of the heavy hitters around here.

I will probably upgrade the CPU in a couple of years. Something to look forward too.

G.Skill has some interesting kits coming out (late Q4, but no one really knows when):

Look at bottom of the page. I wonder if it is worth waiting for.
128gig 3600 MHz C16 seems doable with 8x16 or 4x32.

Saw that one too, and who knows what the price will be?

I also read somewhere that the memory controller slows down the timing the more slots are occupied. Maybe 4 sticks is optimal?

I heard the same rumor on Gearslutz. No idea if it is true.

AMD socket AM4 motherboards have 4 RAM slots:
-For motherboards with Daisy Chain it is better to use 2 RAM sticks
-Motherboards with T-Topology can deal with 4 RAM sticks better than Daisy Chain ones
(All x570 motherboards are now Daisy Chain including the ASRock models)

AMD socket sTRX4/TR4 motherboards have 8 RAM slots:
-For motherboards with Daisy Chain it is better to use 4 RAM sticks
-Motherboards with T-Topology can deal with 8 RAM sticks better than Daisy Chain ones

If this RAM is Hynix it will not overclock...
Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz C18-22-22-42
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK64GX4M2D3600C18

This one looks interesting, good it is not Hynix...

[YOUTUBE]

I'm planning on ordering a 3960x really soon with 4x32GB. The CPU is overkill, but it's really future proof and the possibility of 256 GB is enticing. I'll report back when I have it.

I habe built a workstatation with the 3960x on the TRX40 Designare, 64 Gb of ram, 2x 2080ti and the titan ridge card. Right now im working on getting the add in card to work with my UA Arrow interface. Im getting some sound but it has glitches and makes the pc slow down drasticaly. Does anyone have some tipps on how to get it to work properly ? I used this method for the TB3 Drivers https://forum.level1techs.com/t/thunderbolt-compatible-and-threadripper-3000-setting-it-up/151270

Has anyone here put together a Threadripper 3 system yet?
I would like to hear some feedback on how it performs.
The 3960x performs very well on the Designare Motherboard. Hitting 4,5 GHz as expected. Just having some issues with the "Thunderbolt 3" connection to my Audio Interface.

The 3960x performs very well on the Designare Motherboard. Hitting 4,5 GHz as expected. Just having some issues with the "Thunderbolt 3" connection to my Audio Interface.

I've just started looking into building a gen 3 threadripper workstation, and I could literally only find one motherboard (by ASRock) that had a TB3 header on the board itself, and it's a mini atx so not able to accommodate higher Ram builds. I've seen the Titan Ridge card but haven't heard much about how it performs, and it seems to me that TB3 on AMD platforms is so new that there are many bugs right now. I don't want to start a build with gen 3 Threadripper unless I can also have reliable TB3, so for now I'm waiting to see how long it takes for it to settle down. Also I wish more developers i.e. UA supported usb 3.2x2, it would simplify things for many builds.

If anyone has built a gen 3 Threadripper machine with stable TB3 please let me know :thumbsup:

Top Bottom