What's new

Anyone else waiting for the 3rd gen Threadripper to build a DAW?

Yeap, count me in. Will go either for the 3950x or one of the new Threadrippers.

Am so sick of Intel and their market abusing tactics and overpriced / under-engineered / security swiss cheese CPUs that run so hot you can literally cook your cheese fondue on them.

Yeap, count me in. Will go either for the 3950x or one of the new Threadrippers.

Am so sick of Intel and their market abusing tactics and overpriced / under-engineered / security swiss cheese CPUs that run so hot you can literally cook your cheese fondue on them.
To be fair, AMD is just as guilty of ridiculous marketing tactics. They have overhyped every Ryzen release until this one. They were still awesome CPU's but just didn't live up to AMD claims. I think they actually hyped this one appropriately, except for the claims of how high the CPU will boost. That was a bit of a miss.
Intel, on the other hand has that ridiculous TDP of 95 watts on the 9900k that is bit of a joke rating when it should probably be more like 125 watts. I think most people don't realize that unless you are willing to overclock the 9900k with really good cooling solution and a motherboard with ample VRM's then it isn't really worth the cost. Even a Ryzen 7 2700x would be a better value at stock speeds.

If I were to upgrade today, the only viable option for my workload would be a 9940X / 9960X centered DAW. But spending hard earned cash on 14nm tech at this point in time seems foolish.

I agree with Funnybear: I don't appreciate Intel's policy. However, there is a thing or two to be said for how well Intel's systems perform in the Kontakt related tests:

https://www.scanproaudio.info/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Dawbench-VI-Chart-2019Q3-2.jpg

==> Big shout out to Pete!

I don't care much for the badge or CPU team color; all that matters to me is how the system performs. Threadripper Gen3 could be a game changer in that regard. Does it finally bridge the gap between the HEDT AMD and Intel offerings?

Intel's CPUs don't run particularly hot in real world workloads. Yeah if you run Prime95 on a poorly-cooled 9900k for 12 hours, it gets hot. But even with an all-core overclock of 4.9ghz, my 9900k stays very cool (even during renders and all-core workloads) with max temps of 60c, on air cooling. Any modern CPU can be easily cooled.

I'll be buying an AMD 3rd GEN, 8, 12 OR 16 cores.

Intel always win out in the real world but from Scan Audio benchmarks the 3900 X looks really good.

The 2700 X was liked by many gamers and was improved over the 1800 X so the 3700 X / 3800 X look really good as well.

Some tech guys did a test on Youtube with the Xeon E5 1680 V2 (8C/16T)_similar to 5960 X minus the AVX2 instructions - The results were imressive in gaming where E5 1680 V2 beat the 2700 X by a good margin in games which can translate to music apps as well.

E5 1680 V2 was available at around 200 £$ on Ebay but on the older X79 chipset.

FWIW (my 2 cents)_is what ever Intel releases after 9900 K will be very good.

It seems that GEN3 Ryzen is better as well so GEN 4 will improve a bit more again.

Other testers online comparing GEN1 Ryzen 1800 X found that more FX were possible than on say a 7700K but the 7700 K yielded more Kontakt sampled instruments.

So again FWIW (2 cents) this may continue so if the enthusiasts here can have 2 machines (or more) then I suppose it's possible to get the best of both worlds and use them in a way that suits.

Maybe enthusiasts can't go wrong at the moment - and if users have an older 1800 X or 2700 X that could be kept for other duties unless a good price can be obtained from a sale.

So if I add a 12 core 3900 X I'd probably keep it as prices drop later on.

Some folks have 4790 K still and get good results - and add a slave then the results are even better.

So a 4790 K with Passmark of 11,000 plus a 3700 X with a Passmark of 23,000 points is a lot added together.

Sorry for long post but older machines are still useful - !

Last edited:
What kind of single-core performance would be expected compared to the i9 9900k?
It looks like it would share the same base frequency: 3.60GHz.

What kind of single-core performance would be expected compared to the i9 9900k?
It looks like it would share the same base frequency: 3.60GHz.

Well, the 9900K is about 10% faster than the 3900X in single-threaded. I'd expect the 3950X to remove most/all of that gap. How far will the Threadripper series be from the 3950X?

I dunno. I am planning to rebuild in early 2020 and so am following the news (broadly speaking) in the hope that the dust settles with more answers, MB options etc. Perhaps the 3900x will come back down in price by then, perhaps I'll swing a 3950x, 3rd gen Threadripper, or I might just stick with Intel and go for the 9900k or something.

Any of these options are bound to be a dramatic leap forward from my 7-year-old i7 2600 w 32GB. On the other hand, this machine still hums along really well, without significant problems or headaches, so I'm not desperate or particularly in a hurry.

Yeah - only upgraded from my i5 3570k with 16gb a couple weeks ago. I went Intel 9900k with 64gb ram because I needed it fast and stable (I feel AMD is getting close, plus I didn't want a fan on the motherboard, etc. and deal with any outstanding oddities) - I'd been planning to wait a bit longer as well. Computer had other plans as it turned out!

Oh wow! I feel like we need a new thread for DAW builds using these chips! Pun not intended, but I'll take it.

Cannot wait to see if they manage to make great DAW's compared to the high end intel chips.

(So good that linus called out intel on their release strategy!)

3960x with ROG Zenith II Extreme ordered... going to be interesting this!

That is an impressive mobo. I was more leaning towards the Gigabyte Aorus Master as it has 5x PCIe .. but only 3x M.2. Your Zenith Extreme II has 5x M.2 which is superb. Only 4x PCIe though, that is on the edge for me. Tough choice. We're spoiled either way ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom