What's new

Anyone else waiting for the 3rd gen Threadripper to build a DAW?

When pulling the trigger on the 3960x, I’ll probably want to display win10 simultaneously on two ultrawide 49 inch monitors (thinking of a pair of Samsung C49RG90 or a pair of DELL U4919DW). Which Graphics card would you recommend for such pixel kingdom while not slowing down Cubase ?

C49RG90 or a pair of DELL U4919DW
I find both of them unusable. The are way to narrow in height for my taste. I would rather get 2 normal monitors.

I saw them at a shop a while ago, and coming from a gamer, these feel like a fail. I know what they were going for with the wide display. But I could not help but think, I you were to play a game on these, all you would see was the ground, no sky.

Last edited:
I just found this, in the video he say's he's willing to test hi end audio interface Thunderbolt functionality if someone is willing to loan him an interface for testing, who's up for it o_O? Good information in the video, and this is one of the motherboards mentioned in this thread. He apparently got TB3 working using the Titan Bridge using pci-e over usb c, with some software tweaks.

I find both of them unusable. The are way to narrow in height for my taste. I would rather get 2 normal monitors.

I saw them at a shop a while ago, and coming from a gamer, these feel like a fail. I know what they were going for with the wide display. But I could not help but think, I you were to play a game on these, all you would see was the ground, no sky.

I agree it makes total sense to check them out in person before/instead of just ordering online. Right now I have a 30" and a 27" and I'd like way more. My dream rig would look something like this

Any out of the box (pun intended) ideas are super welcome :)

Has anyone put together a TRX40 build along with a Thunderbolt interface?
I'd really like to hear about results (round trip latency being the most important for me).

So I got a AMD 3960x since a couple of weeks, with 128 GB inside and the ability to go to 256 GB if I need to. I didn't want to take any risks and I had it build for me by a DAW builder. I like the thought of having service and the price wasn't that much higher than building myself.

I haven't tested it at all with heavy projects really, but so far so good. I just notice how much software I've gathered during the years so installing everything takes a while (and Kontakt libraries are a pain to reinstall).

Anyway... even under not so heavy load the fans seem to spin a lot. Lot's of ramping up and down in speed for short periods of time (5 seconds or so). More annoying than a fast and steady fan speed. According to the DAW builder this is normal because of the high wattage and heat of the CPU. According to him it's probably not the CPU fan but the mini fan on the motherboard. The
GIGABYTE TRX40 AORUS PRO WIFI motherboard is in there.

I'd love to hear if anyone has the same issue and if there are ways to solve it. It's the only issue I'm experiencing so far and I'd love to test this beast with a large template.

I finished my 3970x build last week and am migrating my software stack at the moment.

I will post more details once I have run some benchmark and finished setting everything up, but a few quick points on fans:
  • the motherboard fan should only really spin up if you are hammering the bus with PCI4.0 traffic a lot (mine stays off so far all the time)
  • you should be able to set the fan curves of your cpu and case fans in your bios (for example I have set them to a constant low rpm up to 50 celsius and then to a linear ramp up)

I as well have just finished my new 3970X build. So far super stable and has run for 2 weeks straight without issues. I am still in the process of migration and setting up the software. I have forgotten how much setup this took but the end is near at this point.

So far it's been rock stable and very high performance. I to have the fan spin up and spin down you're talking about but haven't tried to control it yet. Waiting until I do real DAW work with it before I do any tweaking.

I also switched from NVIDIA to RADEON for this build to see how that goes.

I went with the TRX40 AORUS Xtreme.

I will probably go for the 3950X as in intermediary. Or just stick to my 10 year old X58 system, and wait it out for the next generation until all creases are ironed out.

Pete from Scan wasn't too positive about the 3970X in his latest test. But perhaps these systems behave better by now?

Any updates are greatly appreciated!
I especially look for VI and Kontakt behaviour.

I just finished my 3970x build.
Gigabyte designare motherboard, 32GB RAM (4x8GB, found some vengeance chips that were 3600Mhz CAS latency of 14!), 4xM.2SSDs, liquid cooled.

Performance is unreal coming from an Intel i7-3820. Sessions that would hit 100% CPU at 96KHz, 512bit latency are now running at 5% utilization at 64bit latency!

File loading is 10x faster on M.2 than on SATA3.

So I got a AMD 3960x since a couple of weeks, with 128 GB inside and the ability to go to 256 GB if I need to. I didn't want to take any risks and I had it build for me by a DAW builder. I like the thought of having service and the price wasn't that much higher than building myself.

I haven't tested it at all with heavy projects really, but so far so good. I just notice how much software I've gathered during the years so installing everything takes a while (and Kontakt libraries are a pain to reinstall).

Anyway... even under not so heavy load the fans seem to spin a lot. Lot's of ramping up and down in speed for short periods of time (5 seconds or so). More annoying than a fast and steady fan speed. According to the DAW builder this is normal because of the high wattage and heat of the CPU. According to him it's probably not the CPU fan but the mini fan on the motherboard. The
GIGABYTE TRX40 AORUS PRO WIFI motherboard is in there.

I'd love to hear if anyone has the same issue and if there are ways to solve it. It's the only issue I'm experiencing so far and I'd love to test this beast with a large template.
My gigabyte trx40 designare does the same thing. There is a little tiny fan by the rear i/o that is there to cool the MOS down, but can only be controlled from inside the UEFI BIOS. I can't access the fan control for it from the gigabyte fan control app in windows. I'm considering disconnecting it if I can't dial in speeds below 2000rpm from UEFI BIOS.

Any reports on latency for a Threadripper 3 build?
How about Thunderbolt compatibility on the Gigabyte boards using Titan Ridge?

How about Thunderbolt compatibility on the Gigabyte boards using Titan Ridge?
Problems with old Audio Interfaces Thunderbolt version 1 with Intel and AMD motherboards.
https://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/6193/thunderbolt-bios-fix-z390-designare?page=8
May have problem with UAD stuff, have to check with UAD(Universal Audio) support...

Problems with old Audio Interfaces Thunderbolt version 1 with Intel and AMD motherboards.
https://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/6193/thunderbolt-bios-fix-z390-designare?page=8
May have problem with UAD stuff, have to check with UAD(Universal Audio) support...

Is the problem with the Titan Ridge card? Is there any reliable method of getting Thunderbolt 1 into a TRX40? Without Thunderbolt are there examples of successful TRX40 builds with low RTL for working with VSTis? I have recently switched to favoring physical modeling VSTis over sample-based so the emphasis has gone from RAM to processor in terms of bottleneck.

I don't use any UAD stuff so I'm not worried there.

Building my 3970x this week.
Got the Alpine Ridge TB card (the Titan Ridge is hard to find these days). Curious if using it on a Gigabyte board will make a difference (Aorus Master).

Thanks for sharing that. I wish I'd done my homework a bit better ;)

On a closer look, the related Titan Ridge list looks outdated as well because it doesn't include the TRX40 Designare board (or any other TRX40 boards for that matter), which actually comes bundled with the Titan Ridge card.

In any event, I got the Alpine Ridge card to work on my board and detect other thunderbolt devices. I'm mostly using it to interface with drives but hopefully I can now give the UA Apollo interfaces a test run.

Thanks for sharing that. I wish I'd done my homework a bit better ;)

On a closer look, the related Titan Ridge list looks outdated as well because it doesn't include the TRX40 Designare board (or any other TRX40 boards for that matter), which actually comes bundled with the Titan Ridge card.

In any event, I got the Alpine Ridge card to work on my board and detect other thunderbolt devices. I'm mostly using it to interface with drives but hopefully I can now give the UA Apollo interfaces a test run.

Good luck! Give us updates if you can.

Top Bottom