What's new

Anyone else thinking the ads are spoiled by discussion boards? :(

rayinstirling

Sorry but, it's been a few weeks now of pulling VI up on the browser and seeing nothing but animated ads. I understand the need for income but............................I'm finding it so off putting. In fact I'm just not visiting as often as I used to. For some that may be a blessing but.......just saying.

I would suggest bookmarking the forums overview page and avoid the homepage completely. That's what I do. The animated ads and artwork on the homepage caused me to abandon it from the start of 2.0

I realize the ads are necessary and they never bothered me in V1, but now I find the home page just dizzying. Who wants to try and read through a list of posts with animation and contrast everywhere. I believe they are driving people away from using the home page. It was much more effective in V1. Some of the ads had animation, but nothing like now. The whole feel was warmer and and quieter. I used to find myself clicking on banners regularly. Now there is so much movement and that background.... I avoid it completely.

Well, that is my point. If everybody avoids the home page then why would developers pay to display?
If they don't pay then the members will have to which, I didn't have a problem with but I think, the times they are a changing. Sorry about that phrase, I sang it often as a teenager.

No animated banners. Get rid of them. I don't think developers would mind, especially if it meant members not avoiding them. And it would class up the site in general. Besides being visually agitating, flashing banner ads just reek of cheap advertising

I never used the portal page before, so I went just now and I gotta admit, it's like a video arcade. I think what makes it particularly dizzying is that not only do many ads have animation, but the ads also rotate in each slot, so there's constant movement. It's not a good introduction to the site.

I think the forum should either stop the rotations, or not allow animation. Both at the same time is too much.

So the consensus seems to be to not access the forum via the portal page. Like Mike, I never enter that way anyway, so haven't found it annoying. I only glance at ads occasionally, but do realize that they help support our forum. For that reason I am grateful to the advertisers. Maybe there could be an ads page...one where all it contains is (annoying) ads. It would have to be one we were never forced to view though. :)

I do see what you mean.

5ddb7ffb96b7b2a89ed081b4b75ca022.gif

So now we have a huge issue - how can we bring back the old portal's vibe so people check both the LATEST POSTS and the banners promotions?

Help me here...

Andre

If I stack all the banners, that will be 22 banners deep. Twice as much showing as right now.

What would make you use the portal?

So the consensus seems to be to not access the forum via the portal page. Like Mike, I never enter that way anyway, so haven't found it annoying. I only glance at ads occasionally, but do realize that they help support our forum. For that reason I am grateful to the advertisers. Maybe there could be an ads page...one where all it contains is (annoying) ads. It would have to be one we were never forced to view though. :)

Sadly, it defeats the purpose of the whole portal. The old site had a portal people used to check the latest posts, alongside the banners in the central column. With 2.0 the portal has a way to expand and offer different content, especially articles. Not much to see now, but then it's early.

So now, what do we do?

Sorry I blew a fuse earlier...

OK, could you PLEASE do me a favor and visit the portal, and let me know if the banners are better? I too out the rotation, and stacked all of them vertically?

oops. i just posted a new thread about how ads are soo annoying in this new forum.

anyways... just echo it here as well.

i dont mind paying to the use the forum and keep it less nascar-ish

On the forum, I see one (1) banner at the top, and one (1) banner on the sidebar. I don't see how this is "nascar-ish..." what else do you see?

Last edited:
For the portal I would lose the animation completely, swap banners every 60 seconds, use the flat blue background that all the other pages have, and make the latest posts list wider, at least equal to the banner width.

Nice, widening the latest post column really helps. I see less animation as well. Some banners have none at all. None is the way to go all around IMO. The background remains.... I think you should take a look at the portal with the standard blue background and see that it will tie the site together very nicely and bring back a little bit of the old sites simple functional look

No rotation of adds is nice, much easier on the eyes, and - at least for me - much easier to find the info I'm looking for. Previously, and especially in V1, an add would catch my eye and then be gone, and I'd have to remember what it was that caught my eye.

I think the portal page is a reasonable compromise.

Top Bottom