What's new

Anyone Else Think 8dio Adagio Violas Kick Ass?

Complete "Adagio Violas" installation guide for Windows 10 users
(probably also works for other Windows versions):

1)
Download Adagio Violas (either manual or with downloader tool)
In case of manual download unrar the part1-19 archives.
Also unrar the second archive with the longer number in its name.

2)
Run the "/Installers/Adagio_Violas_v1_Windows_Installer.exe" file which is inside
your unrared files. Or whereever you have installed the library.

3)
Copy all files from:
C:\Users\YourUsernameHere\My Documents\Native Instruments\Kontakt 5\pictures
to
C:\Users\YourUsernameHere\Documents\Native Instruments\Kontakt 5\pictures

(edit): You might have to adjust the paths to "Kontakt 4" or maybe even "Kontakt 6" if you are using these versions.

Last edited:
@sostenuto:
I can guide you through.
Look in the files you have unrared. There should be an exe installer somewhere.
For me it is called:
/Installers/Adagio_Violas_v1_Windows_Installer.exe

Duuuuhhhh ! Done; looks well. Many thanks … no clue why not looking in Installer Folder. :barefoot:

Issue now is: with any of (4) Multis selected, only top audio /volume graphic displays anything playing. Would I not expect one or more of other Multi selections to show output as well?

For this to happen you need to activate the "auto" button on the GUI :)
or use the knob which xfades between the different loaded patches.
Then play with different velocity (many of the slur patches only trigger on highest velocity).
Then you have reached your goal!

So either support doesn’t know this or they are dissembling, neither of which is exactly reassuring.
They know, they just continue to tell people this anyway. I already went through it with them.

If anyone figures out the fix for a Mac, please share.

Last edited:
For this to happen you need to activate the "auto" button on the GUI :)
or use the knob which xfades between the different loaded patches.
Then play with different velocity (many of the slur patches only trigger on highest velocity).
Then you have reached your goal!

Aha! I have reached my goal ! (the 'getting started for dummies' goal) :grin:
I truly appreciate your capable guidance. Surely some salient 8DIO tips to learn.

Thanks and regards. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Divisi Violas Test

The tone is really good

[AUDIOPLUS=https://www.vi-control.net/community/attachments/divisi-viola-test-mp3.17925/][/AUDIOPLUS]

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/divisi-viola-test-mp3.17925/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Attachments

• Divisi Viola Test.mp3
    351.6 KB · Views: 25
Wrote back to support asking if they won’t pretty please give me the multi so I can velocity switch between legato and portamento.

I may work out a multuscript but it’s irritating that 8dio would deprecate a product like this and then not even bother to change the manual and downloaded files.

Sigh.

That's really bizarre, as I've had no difficulties with the Adagio products. I so hope things work out for you, my friend.

I was sketching out some Kammermusik this morning and was pretty much delighted with the patches for solo, not as much on the ensembles.

Despite some of the criticisms here, it says a lot that the Adagio Viola solo patches have kept me away from the Hein for so long (the Hein solo instruments are uniformly pretty damn killer imo). If I had the problems mentioned by others, I would have simply substituted the Hein when released.

Side note: of course, my engagement with the rest of the Hein solo strings libraries is inevitable ;) yes I still GAS...I'm honest with myself enough to know that once I buy the Viola from CH I'll probably use the Adagio sparingly. It's just that I'm so used to the Adagio now...

I have been back and forth with 8Dio ever since I got into Adagio about the issues with the GUI and Kontakt 5. It seems that Adagio was formatted for Kontakt4, and never upgraded to play nice with Kontakt 5. Thus having the need to create Anthology...which is a step backwards if you ask me, in terms of sound...not sure what they did to the sample pool, but I much prefer the sound of Adagio and Agitato far better than Anthology.

Getting back to the issues: I often get notes that just cut out, and the playability seems a little less agile than in the walkthrough videos that got me to get Adaio. Support basically said (after weeks of pinning them down for an answer): Adagio was supposed to be discontinued completely...they kept it on knowing the issues, because people still appreciated the sound. So I ask...then why the hell doesn't @8Dio just rework the GUI to work flawlessly with Kontakt 5 and up? I even asked them to please send me the old installer with the old GUI that's in the video, but they don't have them apparently. SO I am stuck with some issues.

I would love to see 8Dio got one step further and just get back in the studio, record the same string players, same sound (please), and use modern techniques to bring this library current. I love the thick, lush, raw sound of the Agitato/Adagio series...fits my style perfectly. But...wishful thinking.

Wrote back to support asking if they won’t pretty please give me the multi so I can velocity switch between legato and portamento.

I may work out a multuscript but it’s irritating that 8dio would deprecate a product like this and then not even bother to change the manual and downloaded files.

Sigh.
if you are willing to share this ( I am on a Mac too) that would be welcomed.

I bought this sale item mostly for the dynamic bowings which do offer something that no other dev has. (OA has the waves but you can't change chords during the hairpin, and with this one you can.)

That's really bizarre, as I've had no difficulties with the Adagio products. I so hope things work out for you, my friend.
In the grand scheme of things it’s not a big deal, since I’m well covered for string libraries, I picked the library up cheap, and for that price the dynamic bows were worth the price to me. It is, however, a bit frustrating because I can hear a good sound in the legato patches if I could only get at it in a non-cumbersome manner. It was also a way of testing out an 8dio product at minimal cost and my experience on this has made it unlikely I’ll ever buy anything expensive from them.

I tried the Instinct legato on a track last night and where it worked it worked very well indeed. But it only worked about 50% of the time, and the other 50% was very bumpy and would have taken a lot of programming to get right (as well as more balancing and matching to the other libraries), so I ended up backing it out. It wasn’t a fair test though because it was dropped in on a passage with midi optimized for another library (which was also struggling with it). In any event, we’ll see.

In the grand scheme of things it’s not a big deal, since I’m well covered for string libraries, I picked the library up cheap, and for that price the dynamic bows were worth the price to me. It is, however, a bit frustrating because I can hear a good sound in the legato patches if I could only get at it in a non-cumbersome manner. It was also a way of testing out an 8dio product at minimal cost and my experience on this has made it unlikely I’ll ever buy anything expensive from them.

I tried the Instinct legato on a track last night and where it worked it worked very well indeed. But it only worked about 50% of the time, and the other 50% was very bumpy and would have taken a lot of programming to get right (as well as more balancing and matching to the other libraries), so I ended up backing it out. It wasn’t a fair test though because it was dropped in on a passage with midi optimized for another library (which was also struggling with it). In any event, we’ll see.

Sounds to me like customer support will help you iron it out.

I think you'll like it (well, REALLY like it for the price) once the bumps are smoothed out.

Following the instructions from @Manuel Stumpf I was able to get the interface. While I have no issue with switching between the four multis, I can't figure out how to delete the interface. I can delete the two programs, but not the UI. I'm just muting it for the moment, but perhaps somebody can tell me the right way to do it.

Secondly, there are some Factory presets that come with the multis that allow you to harmonize and transform what you play in countless ways.

Adagio Violas.jpg

There's also a decent set of utilities, including a MIDI filter and monitor. But I can't get them to work with the multis. When I load one of the presets, I can't get the multi to make a sound.

However, when I delete the programs in the multi and load in a regular patch, they work great. In fact, they work with any virtual instrument you load under them, even if you load a lot of them.

if you are willing to share this ( I am on a Mac too) that would be welcomed.

I bought this sale item mostly for the dynamic bowings which do offer something that no other dev has. (OA has the waves but you can't change chords during the hairpin, and with this one you can.)
I haven’t heard back from 8dio support, and truthfully I don’t really expect to. Setting up a keyswitch between the different patches isn’t hard using the free KS Router multiscript from Orange Tree (https://www.orangetreesamples.com/blog/free-keyswitch-router-multiscript) if that would be enough . But I haven’t worked enough with multiscripts (or scripts for that matter) to know offhand how to make a switch based on velocities. I can’t imagine it’s too difficult since the decision tree is trivial (if velocity > 20 play channel 1; else play channel 2, etc.). You would also need to pass the regular keyswitches to all channels loaded with legato in the multi so the articulations remained in sync. And if I was doing it. I’d look to load the shorts as well and have them on separate keyswitches. As I start thinking about it in this way I now wonder about building an articulation set in Logic, though since I use Studio One as well I’d prefer something that is cross platform.

I’m also wondering if buying an articulation management system might be a better solution since I’ve been thinking about doing that anyway. Most of those however are DAW specific. Something like Mind Control from Orange Tree (https://www.orangetreesamples.com/products/mind-control) might answer.

the Adagio Viola solo patches have kept me away from the Hein for so long (the Hein solo instruments are uniformly pretty damn killer imo).

How incredibly frustrating it is to read this when working on a project that JUST needs a viola solo, and I have no other good alternative. And Adagio Violas won't work properly on my computer, as stated earlier.

Performance Samples Solo Violin it will be, then. Thank you for your attention.

Sounds to me like customer support will help you iron it out.

I think you'll like it (well, REALLY like it for the price) once the bumps are smoothed out.
Hopefully, but my engagement with support so far has been along the lines of "we are not supporting the multis any longer so you have to deal with it by building your own, and we won't give you any help in doing that." You are right about the sound but I fear my other core libraries (SF Chamber Strings and Symphonic Strings and Berlin Strings main) are sufficient that I won't have the motivation to battle the library to get at what it has to offer. As I've said, though, I love the dynamic bows, and the purchase was worth it to me for that. I'll probably get the cellos if they are offered at a similar price for the dynamic bows as well.

Hopefully, but my engagement with support so far has been along the lines of "we are not supporting the multis any longer so you have to deal with it by building your own, and we won't give you any help in doing that." You are right about the sound but I fear my other core libraries (SF Chamber Strings and Symphonic Strings and Berlin Strings main) are sufficient that I won't have the motivation to battle the library to get at what it has to offer. As I've said, though, I love the dynamic bows, and the purchase was worth it to me for that. I'll probably get the cellos if they are offered at a similar price for the dynamic bows as well.

I'm so sorry, as I had no idea their support was that bad...but, come to think of it, I never contacted them for help (must have been lucky). Had I known I would have told everyone right up front.

Don't miss out on the basses! Actually, given the stated poor support, maybe not anything more lol.

Top Bottom