What's new

Anyone Else Think 8dio Adagio Violas Kick Ass?

That‘s odd...bought it yesterday evening and had (as always for me when buying stuff from 8Dio) 3 links for downloaders in the mail I got (one for PC and two for MAC)...
Does it work with a direct download?
The download worked fine. The problem is running the multi installer that comes packaged with it. The Mac version doesn't work on my system. It crashes immediately on launch.

The download worked fine. The problem is running the multi installer that comes packaged with it. The Mac version doesn't work on my system. It crashes immediately on launch.
Similar in my case, it does extract but hangs somewhere.... and manual unrar also ends up somewhere with stuff missing, mostly gui, multi...

Also a ticket out....

Although 8dio has some nice products on sale, these issues are oddly uncared for.
We musn’t be the first to install on newer OSX?

I'm glad I took a punt on the Adagio Violas at $28 after reading this thread. As difficult as the Cinematic Studio Strings legato is, I would probably have thrown Adagio out the window had I picked it up for primary use. My quick tour with the Adagio Violas does make me feel it is great for new shades and colours though (without getting into esoteric articulations).

The Colin's Favourite legato layers well with CSS's legato and after collapsing the field and a bit of EQ to pull some of the resonances from Adagio, they sound like one section, though I wouldn't use them this way in reality. Good fun was had loading the solo, divisi, ensemble and CSS violas together.

I barely noticed the stereo issues in legato on the ensemble patches but it is certainly present on the solo viola. The divisi and solo instruments are lovely in tone but the lack of consistent articulations, especially the absence of the sordino shorts.

I've yet to get my head around some of the different legato styles; the Colin's Favourite, Sordino and Sweet Slur work to my ears but I struggle to define a difference between Instinct, Perdition and Village.

The dynamic bowing patches, while wonderful in sound, probably won't fit my workflow so well. I've yet to understand exactly what the Loure patches and articulations even do. The minor and major tremolos are certain to enter my template. The Ambiences are certainly noises, and like every sound design patch, will gather dust since I don't write music that way.

Somewhat of a ramble, but my appetite is whetted for the rest of Adagio, especially Celli. The try pack of Agitato Grandiose Legato doesn't thrill me but I feel like it probably isn't the best sampling of that library. If there are further flash sales at that much of a discount, I'm in.

Are there any patches in the Violas (or the rest of Adagio and Agitato) that people really love, or shine brighter than the rest? Also, how does the 2nd Violins switch work?

As far as I know these installers only copy some graphic files into the Native Instruments Kontakt directory.
In the Adagio Cellos 8Dio has already included the files for "manual installation" with a small installation instruction.
They should be doing this for Violins, Violas and Basses too. Thus no installers would be necessary at all.
It would be so easy to just publish the necessary files on their webpage for free download, because these files do not have any useful content without having the library itself.

I was able to reduce the Violas to an "essentials" collection that's 7.5 GB. Like @lhnoc , I could not hear a real difference among the legatos, so I deleted all of them except for "Collin's favorite." I also got rid of the Sordinos because I have the Agitado Sordinos. Of the remaining files, I am mainly interested in the solo instrument, the dynamic bowing, and Collin's Fav legato.

-Scarlet Jerry

Lest anyone forget, give the Instinct patches a try in different contexts. The reason I originally found them irresistible is because the manual mentioned a Jerry Goldsmith vibe. I've found several quite useful things there, though perhaps not in the vein intended.

Are there any patches in the Violas (or the rest of Adagio and Agitato) that people really love, or shine brighter than the rest?
So far, I'm finding Village Legato to be the best all-arounder. A lot of them just have too much portamento for me.

Perdition is con sordino. Loure just means it has multiple bowings, I think. For the Dynamic Bowings, it's helpful to use the sustain pedal and not hold notes on the keyboard--this will allow the patch to play out completely on its own. If you load up TM Dynamic Bowing patches, you can use the pitch wheel to speed up or slow down the patch. I get some crackling with TM.

So far, I'm finding Village Legato to be the best all-arounder. A lot of them just have too much portamento for me.

Perdition is con sordino. Loure just means it has multiple bowings, I think. For the Dynamic Bowings, it's helpful to use the sustain pedal and not hold notes on the keyboard--this will allow the patch to play out completely on its own. If you load up TM Dynamic Bowing patches, you can use the pitch wheel to speed up or slow down the patch. I get some crackling with TM.
I agree with you about the portamento. Instinct is ok too. Just played around with the TM Dynamic Bowing patch a bit. I didn't get any crackling.

Solo does not have a fast legato sample, so if the phrase gets faster than this, the sound will be destroyed.

and there are some samples that are not tuned, so some correction is needed.

[AUDIOPLUS=https://www.vi-control.net/community/attachments/8dio-solo-viola-test-2-mp3.17895/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Attachments

• 8Dio Solo Viola Test 2.mp3
    861.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Solo does not have a fast legato sample, so if the phrase gets faster than this, the sound will be destroyed.

and there are some samples that are not tuned, so some correction is needed.

[AUDIOPLUS=https://www.vi-control.net/community/attachments/8dio-solo-viola-test-2-mp3.17895/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Have you tried using the natural setting for faster parts?

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/vla-solo-01-mp3.17898/][/AUDIOPLUS]

[AUDIOPLUS=https://www.vi-control.net/community/attachments/vla-solo-01-mp3.17898/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Attachments

• VLA Solo 01.mp3
    259.9 KB · Views: 81
I got the violas to add to my Cello and Violins...haven't played around with it much yet, but I did call up the first patch for the solo viola, as a replacement for MIDI information that I did for a solo cello part, using the Tina Guo Legato patch. The violas played near perfect without need to really go in and edit the MIDI data from the cello part. So this interchangeability is great. Most other libraries I would need to go in and modify the MIDI data to meet the response of the new library.

However...what really irks me, is that I rushed to buy this on Sunday when it would have been easier for me to get it on Tuesday, because I was traveling and computer access was minimal...but it's very clear that they said the price would go back to $88 on the 15th(still on their site)...meaning that the 14th(to my understanding), was the last day of the sale. Well this morning, the violas are STILL at $28. I don't mind they extended the sale based off the momentum of this thread (seems to be the case), but let people know so they can plan things accordingly.

Have you tried using the natural setting for faster parts?

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/vla-solo-01-mp3.17898/][/AUDIOPLUS]

[AUDIOPLUS=https://www.vi-control.net/community/attachments/vla-solo-01-mp3.17898/][/AUDIOPLUS]

good. But if it were in Adagio's solo viola, as in the Agitato ensemble fast legato sample, the note definition of the fast phrase would have been more alive.

Thanks for the video link. I noticed at 25:30 into the video he linked his Mod-Wheel to both Dynamics and Expression as I do, but he has an OFFSET so that they are not at the same value (the Expression knob has a higher value than the Dynamics knob until it reaches its limit). Does anyone know how that is done?

Hey @ReelToLogic! The method I used in that video (and in my general workflow) is:

- Go into the Automation tab on the top left side of Kontakt.
- Underneath it you'll click on MIDI Automation. There, you can see what each CC is controlling.
- Underneath the panel below, you'll find a small box that says "From % 0.0" & "To % 100.0". You can define your offsets there.

I think what I did was I changed the Expression under CC1 to "From % 10.0 To % 100.0". You can also invert them if you ever needed that for any CC (for instance, having the same CC raise the volume of one mic position while simultaneously lowering the other).

Hope that helps and makes sense!

So 8dio support finally got back to me. Evidently the multi installer is no longer needed. No guidance on how I'm supposed to make the multi usable though. Here's what I get when I open a multi:

8dio.jpg

So I now have submitted a query about how to get the multi to work. But if anyone here knows how to get the multi to work—what files I need to move where—please let me know!

So 8dio support finally got back to me. Evidently the multi installer is no longer needed. No guidance on how I'm supposed to make the multi usable though. Here's what I get when I open a multi:

8dio.jpg

So I now have submitted a query about how to get the multi to work. But if anyone here knows how to get the multi to work—what files I need to move where—please let me know!
I have the same issue, with Windows 10. Didn't mention it when I submitted my query.
Please let us know :)

And another one here.
The multis do look the same (so without gui elements). I used the installer for the graphics though and all that stuff has been exported into C:\Users\xxxx\Documents\Native Instruments\. Win 7.
But all other instruments look as they should.

And another one here.
The multis do look the same (so without gui elements). I used the installer for the graphics though and all that stuff has been exported into C:\Users\xxxx\Documents\Native Instruments\. Win 7.
But all other instruments look as they should.

Under Windows, you have to copy the pictures folder of the install in this folder :
C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Native Instruments\Kontakt\pictures\8DIO_Adagio_Violas_v1

Top Bottom