What's new

Anyone Else Think 8dio Adagio Violas Kick Ass?

Bought it, love it. There's issues here and there, I wouldn't buy it expecting it to be a go-to. For me it'll be a specialized tool for slower expressive writing. Like adagios. :)

BTW, there's a lot of portamento in this. I'm not 100% sure, but I suspect there might be some intervals where the only connected note you can get has a portamento.
Have you tried high velocities? I think portamento engages at low vel.

Have you tried high velocities? I think portamento engages at low vel.
Using the ensembles, I haven't noticed the velocity having an effect on the legato type. I've only played with it for 30 minutes and there's a ton of things to tweak so it's entirely possible that there are important functions that I'm missing. With that huge caveat in mind, I notice the portamentos kicking in mostly at intervals of a fourth or over.

I don't think you're being hypocritical at all, maybe just not imagining every scenario that some of us may be in.

I've had lust for Adagio for years, now. I did almost jump on this without any thought, as a way to finally start my collection. It's just that even $28 is a significant number for me, especially if it ends up being a waste for whatever reason; it's not always easy for me to tell how right something will be for me. I've been burned like everyone else, but I think my budget is definitely on the very low side for the VI-Control population, and even small amounts like this add up, and inevitably keep me from buying something I'm more sure of down the line. This deliberation doesn't come at much cost for me when it comes to focusing on more important things. Actually, it's an important thing itself: money.

Support never got back to me about ugrade paths, anyway, so I've missed my chance, and that lack of communication doesn't exactly endear me... I love the 8Dio sound, but it's never the smoothest ride with them, in any way.

Welcome to the club. I rarely do orchestra anyway. I've gained a collection of budge VSL which I should take time to learn. As some say on here get a library and learn it to the fullest capacity. Often HWO Gold can be had for under $250. I should save for that and be done.

Thank you, appreciate the feedback. :thumbsup:
I should mention I don't have Adagietto, so I don't know what content overlaps. But for $28, I found the dynamic bows both for ensemble and divisi half section to be worth to price. Hopefully, I'll find more useful stuff as I work through the library and also figure out why so many of the legato patches seem broken...

@jbuhler & @Mikro93 ... regarding the legato sustains being cut off. I'm not sure if this is what you are both experiencing...and forgive me if you already know this, but every legato style has the C0 Natural keyswitch. This patch by design was cut short. It definitely got me when I first bought an Adagio lib. Maybe this isn't the issue here, but I'll still link a helpful vid I found on YT, explaining it.

@jbuhler & @Mikro93 ... regarding the legato sustains being cut off. I'm not sure if this is what you are both experiencing...and forgive me if you already know this, but every legato style has the C0 Natural keyswitch. This patch by design was cut short. It definitely got me when I first bought an Adagio lib. Maybe this isn't the issue here, but I'll still link a helpful vid I found on YT, explaining it.

Thanks for the video link. I noticed at 25:30 into the video he linked his Mod-Wheel to both Dynamics and Expression as I do, but he has an OFFSET so that they are not at the same value (the Expression knob has a higher value than the Dynamics knob until it reaches its limit). Does anyone know how that is done?

My recollection is that Adagio doesn’t have different legatos on the individual legato patches in the same way that adagietto and anthology do.

There is a Kontakt multi that does something like this (though it crashed when I tried to install it -8dio offered a workaround, but it was just more trouble that it was worth).

Thanks! I had wondered if it was by design as it seemed about a bow stroke long, sustain-transition-sustsin, but it still cut off without release tail. On the other hand it happens on more than just that patch. It’s also inconsistent on some patches applying to some notes and not others.

My recollection is that Adagio doesn’t have different legatos on the individual legato patches in the same way that adagietto and anthology do.

There is a Kontakt multi that does something like this (though it crashed when I tried to install it -8dio offered a workaround, but it was just more trouble that it was worth).
Yes, the installer isn’t working for me either. I find this library very strange. It’s not bad despite inconsistencies, but it’s not user friendly. I do like the dynamic bows which mix nicely with and give nice detail to OACE waves.

Reactions: ism
Adagio Solo Viola Test

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/8dio-solo-viola-test-mp3.17862/][/AUDIOPLUS]

[AUDIOPLUS=https://www.vi-control.net/community/attachments/8dio-solo-viola-test-mp3.17862/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Attachments

• 8Dio Solo Viola Test.mp3
    990.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

What was the workaround?

Yep, my fav of the Adagio series... actually, possibly of any string library. The tone of the Adagio Violas is just heart wrenching. They have their limitations, but for the things I use them for, nothing else will do.

What was the workaround?

Can’t recall exactly .. I think they sent some kind off executable to run outside of Kontakt ... whatever it was, it more complex that I was willing deal with at the time without really knowing exactly what was going on technically.

Were I truely desperate for a fix, it would easy enough to write a logic file switch between midi channels without getting into system level messing about.

Thanks for the video :)

I don't think it's exactly the same thing as the issue I have, I think I can hear an artificial fading out typical of a legato transition, without a proper release tail. However, that might be a way to narrow down the issue to just the keyswitches not working, and every patch being stuck on the natural patch.

Have a look here:

I sent an e-mail to 8Dio's support. We'll see :)

Using the ensembles, I haven't noticed the velocity having an effect on the legato type. I've only played with it for 30 minutes and there's a ton of things to tweak so it's entirely possible that there are important functions that I'm missing. With that huge caveat in mind, I notice the portamentos kicking in mostly at intervals of a fourth or over.
The Village Legato (the last option) set to xfade seems to be free of portamento, FYI.

Thanks for the video :)

I don't think it's exactly the same thing as the issue I have, I think I can hear an artificial fading out typical of a legato transition, without a proper release tail. However, that might be a way to narrow down the issue to just the keyswitches not working, and every patch being stuck on the natural patch.

Have a look here:

I sent an e-mail to 8Dio's support. We'll see :)

My understanding is that Anthology is basically an abandoning of any further fixes to Adagio. Party because they announced the end of life of Adagio at the same time.

But rumours of it's death having turned out to be exaggerated, it would be great if this new surge of interest in Adagio might change that. Because, speaking as someone who bought it as a fist library - it's a terrible, terrible first library.

But now that I have other, more reliable, libraries that are much more fun and much less painful to work with in general, I'm starting appreciating Adagio again, but now as more of fine detail brush. Niche, and not necessarily very well behaved outside of a its particular expressive niche (like a lot of 8dio, notably the claire winds), but immensely lovely so log as you're focused specifically on the kind of fine expressive lines it can do.

Still waiting for a fix (hopefully) on the install perils on a Mac running OSX Sierra or higher.....
no gui and some notes are missing.

Downloaded again but with same result
Installer seems from pre OSX date even....

Still waiting for a fix (hopefully) on the install perils on a Mac running OSX Sierra or higher.....
no gui and some notes are missing.

Downloaded again but with same result
Installer seems from pre OSX date even....
There are two versions of Mac installers from 8Dio:
1) OS 10.10 and later (which you should use)
And 2) Legacy for older OS versions (doesn‘t run on High Sierra and later)

Maybe that helps?:)

There are two versions of Mac installers from 8Dio:
1) OS 10.10 and later (which you should use)
And 2) Legacy for older OS versions (doesn‘t run on High Sierra and later)

Maybe that helps?:)
Well, the version of Adagio Violas they sent out only had one Mac installer and it doesn't work. I've had a ticket in with 8dio support since Saturday and have not yet received a response except the automated one stating they received my request.

Well, the version of Adagio Violas they sent out only had one Mac installer and it doesn't work. I've had a ticket in with 8dio support since Saturday and have not yet received a response except the automated one stating they received my request.
That‘s odd...bought it yesterday evening and had (as always for me when buying stuff from 8Dio) 3 links for downloaders in the mail I got (one for PC and two for MAC)...
Does it work with a direct download?

Top Bottom