What's new

Anyone Else Think 8dio Adagio Violas Kick Ass?

Is anybody having issues with some samples not triggering (the long sustain after a legato transition, mostly), and the impossibility of switching articulations, either via keyswitches or even clicking on the interface?
Just did a quick googling, no luck. I'm running Reaper and Live 9 in Windows 10, seems to be some inconsistencies, to say the least.

Is anybody having issues with some samples not triggering (the long sustain after a legato transition, mostly), and the impossibility of switching articulations, either via keyswitches or even clicking on the interface?
Just did a quick googling, no luck. I'm running Reaper and Live 9 in Windows 10, seems to be some inconsistencies, to say the least.
I have this same problem with some of the legatos. I am not having any problem with switching articulations.

Haven't bitten yet. I'm back and forth as to whether it adds anything new to Cinematic Studio Strings line.
Here are two short examples, slower and more lyrical, then a bit faster. The legato isn't as bad as I feared, though you can hear that it struggles to keep up in the second, faster part.
My biggest problems are in the stereo perspective (which keeps bouncing around) and the crossfading (which often sounds to me like a section playing instead of a solo.)

The first section was done freehand, no quantizing. The faster part was quantized. No eq, one instance of Phoenixverb as an insert:

https://www.ljnmusicandsound.com/2019/a-dagio-viola/

Here are two short examples, slower and more lyrical, then a bit faster. The legato isn't as bad as I feared, though you can hear that it struggles to keep up in the second, faster part.
My biggest problems are in the stereo perspective (which keeps bouncing around) and the crossfading (which often sounds to me like a section playing instead of a solo.)

The first section was done freehand, no quantizing. The faster part was quantized. No eq, one instance of Phoenixverb as an insert:

https://www.ljnmusicandsound.com/2019/a-dagio-viola/
Thank you, this sounds well worth $28 to my ears. Nice playing too.

I mainly wanted to know if this would give me sounds I don't otherwise have and to my ear it does. And I wanted to know whether that is outweighed by the handful of bugs and inconsistencies and it seems like for lyrical playing it is not.

I agree-you can do some lyrical playing with this instrument if you can deal with the stereo thingie. The tone is a bit edgier than I like, but that's easily eq-able.

The bouncing stereo perspective doesn't bother you?

It totally does. 8dio should have their heads checked--what were they thinking?

Richardt4520 mentioned that he addresses this by using the close mics, and I'm thinking there might be a way to collapse the spread a bit then place in position (I use EAReverb) and hope for the best.

EDIT: I switched my speakers to mono and listened to it again and think it sounds okay. I don't always have the best ear for spacialization, but it sounds usable to me.

Last edited:

I have heard this issue with other libraries. Don't remember off the top of my head, but this seems to happen from time to time. I think it's a case of possibly recording on different days, and having the seats be slightly off from a previous take...only thing I can think of why the bouncing around.

I'm on the fence. I have 8dio Adagietto so I'm guessing I'm covered from the ensemble perspective and I have CSSS so I'm covered for the solo perspective. Besides the divisi would this bring any value? Even at $28 I don't want to hop on something that is going to collect virtual dust. :geek:

Now the bases on the other hand....

I guess I'm kind of baffled at how much conjecture there is over a library this price. At 28 bucks you'll find a use for at least some of those samples, folks.

Not meant disparagingly. I guess I'm just an old person whom is still getting used to the fact that some people here spend way more time on deliberating sales and purchases than learning anything about or composing music (not that I have any problem at all with that and neither should anyone else; hobbies are great to have imo). I myself know exactly how fun it is to do the above...so much so that I (almost) resent the time I have to spend finishing commissions when I could be having fun like you guys lol!

So I'm a total hypocrite, because I already know I'd spend way more time on here if I didn't have to work ;)

Bought it, love it. There's issues here and there, I wouldn't buy it expecting it to be a go-to. For me it'll be a specialized tool for slower expressive writing. Like adagios. :)

BTW, there's a lot of portamento in this. I'm not 100% sure, but I suspect there might be some intervals where the only connected note you can get has a portamento. EDIT: The Village legato (the last option) set to xfade seems to be free of portamento.

Last edited:
I guess I'm kind of baffled at how much conjecture there is over a library this price. At 28 bucks you'll find a use for at least some of those samples, folks.

Not meant disparagingly. I guess I'm just an old person whom is still getting used to the fact that some people here spend way more time on deliberating sales and purchases than learning anything about or composing music (not that I have any problem at all with that and neither should anyone else; hobbies are great to have imo). I myself know exactly how fun it is to do the above...so much so that I (almost) resent the time I have to spend finishing commissions when I could be having fun like you guys lol!

So I'm a total hypocrite, because I already know I'd spend way more time on here if I didn't have to work ;)

I don't think you're being hypocritical at all, maybe just not imagining every scenario that some of us may be in.

I've had lust for Adagio for years, now. I did almost jump on this without any thought, as a way to finally start my collection. It's just that even $28 is a significant number for me, especially if it ends up being a waste for whatever reason; it's not always easy for me to tell how right something will be for me. I've been burned like everyone else, but I think my budget is definitely on the very low side for the VI-Control population, and even small amounts like this add up, and inevitably keep me from buying something I'm more sure of down the line. This deliberation doesn't come at much cost for me when it comes to focusing on more important things. Actually, it's an important thing itself: money.

Support never got back to me about ugrade paths, anyway, so I've missed my chance, and that lack of communication doesn't exactly endear me... I love the 8Dio sound, but it's never the smoothest ride with them, in any way.

Did you find a fix?
Nope. Likely solution will be: don't use the patches. Maybe it will be fixed once I am able to run the installer. Not sure why that would do anything, but I haven't been able to run it, and 8dio support hasn't gotten back to me about the installer not running.

Bought it, love it. There's issues here and there, I wouldn't buy it expecting it to be a go-to. For me it'll be a specialized tool for slower expressive writing. Like adagios. :)

BTW, there's a lot of portamento in this. I'm not 100% sure, but I suspect there might be some intervals where the only connected note you can get has a portamento.

That's something I found odd and frustrating about the violas in Agitato Sordino Strings. It stinks that it's apparently in Adagio too.

I'm on the fence. I have 8dio Adagietto so I'm guessing I'm covered from the ensemble perspective and I have CSSS so I'm covered for the solo perspective. Besides the divisi would this bring any value? Even at $28 I don't want to hop on something that is going to collect virtual dust. :geek:

Now the bases on the other hand....
The dynamic bows are very nice, and for me are worth $28. The divisi is not really divisi but a half section. (That is, you don't get two half sections but only one.)

Top Bottom