What's new

Anyone Else Think 8dio Adagio Violas Kick Ass?

richardt4520

Can one of 8DIO Violins work at an acceptable level ? If not, can you advise a couple alternatives you feel I can use comfortably ?? :barefoot:
I think the 8Dio violins work just fine. There are better options but I personally weigh that with how well they fit together sound wise and the Adagio violins gel nicely with the rest of the Adagio series, better than anything else I have. I think a lot of the issues people are having is from using the room mics, which can jump around in the stereo field. I use the close mics, pan to position, and use an external reverb to put them into a space. So I don't have much of that going on.

Land of Missing Parts

flibbertigibbet
I bought them and never ever used them.
You are me from the future. I feel like I'm predestined to keep buying random stuff on sale, then just continuing to use Cinematic Studio Strings for everything.

Hey, does anyone here use the Adagio divisi sections for actual divisi (rather than treating it as a separate section size)?

Last edited:

novaburst

It's interesting to see how many people list 8dio's Adagio Series in the Most Disappointing Library Thread. In fact, it seems to be the single most mentioned library on there, although maybe a third of those mentions are defending it.
IMHO Adagio are a great sounding library and you will not find many other string library's that can match it,

There are some artefacts in the library's but when compared to what you can use its very small.

The Adagio library's force you to think like a string player as on most of the samples you will only a bow stroke or two then the sample ends this is what turns a lot of people away from the library as many are not string players and don't understand how strings work myself included.

Many prefer to press a note on the keyboard and have a continues note that does not end but that is how not to play strings.

The Adagio library's are very useable tone is great but work in favour of those who know how to use strings, also works for those who are whiling to learn.

As the title of the thread has said about the Viola, I think Adagio generally kicks Ass.

AlexanderSchiborr

IMHO Adagio are a great sounding library and you will not find many other string library's that can match it,

There are some artefacts in the library's but when compared to what you can use its very small.

The Adagio library's force you to think like a string player as on most of the samples you will only a bow stroke or two then the sample ends this is what turns a lot of people away from the library as many are not string players and don't understand how strings work myself included.

Many prefer to press a note on the keyboard and have a continues note that does not end but that is how not to play strings.

The Adagio library's are very useable tone is great but work in favour of those who know how to use strings, also works for those who are whiling to learn.

As the title of the thread has said about the Viola, I think Adagio generally kicks Ass.
Remind me of creating a new thread about breath controllers and how I would force everyone to buy it, because I believe people would readjust their sense for brass when they had to push their own air through a mouthpiece of a controller set which can be adjusted to real conditions regarding airflow which I would force them to do so :D

Last edited:

whiskers

Perpetual student
Remind me of creating a new thread about breath controllers and how I would force everyone to buy it, because I believe people would readjust their sense for brass when they had to push their own air for a controller set which can be adjusted to real conditions regarding airflow which I would force them to do so :D
You have the tecControl?

NYC Composer

a little bit with the legato solo viola, close mic plus reverb

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/8dioviola-mp3.17803/][/AUDIOPLUS]
Rob, I just bought this and I like the tone too, but the legato plays you-you can't just play whatever you like and have it sound good because it feels to me like a lot of the legato transitions are at different levels. I think the lyrical bit you played is what it does well, but still.

Does the jumping around the stereo field not drive you a little nuts? The first two notes of what you played, even!

Rob

Rob, I just bought this and I like the tone too, but the legato plays you-you can't just play whatever you like and have it sound good because it feels to me like a lot of the legato transitions are at different levels. I think the lyrical bit you played is what it does well, but still.

Does the jumping around the stereo field not drive you a little nuts? The first two notes of what you played, even!
Larry (happy new year btw!) first of all, you just bought for less than 30 dollars a viola library with ensembles, divisi and solo all with a beautiful tone, and you're complaining? :) I encourage you to take some time to understand how this instrument has been conceived, and how to take advantage of its strengths... and no, I'm not bothered by the stereo inconsistencies... oh I see that the tone of my reply could seem very serious or irritated, but it's not like that, I'm smiling as I'm writing this my friend...

Last edited:
OP
Parsifal666

Parsifal666

I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.
Aarrgghh ….. My abilities to optimize any Orch libs is stunted, and was cruising along adding Anthology, some Adagio /Agitato, in hopes they would work together nicely. Your post 'hurts', as I will be uncomfortable sorting another Violin to work with 8DIO.
I do have a broad assortment which may get close …. KH_ Diamond Symphony Orch, Spotlight Solo Strings / NI _ K11U, Symphony Essentials / OT _ ARK1 / SF _ Albions: One, Loegria, Tundra / xyz.

Can one of 8DIO Violins work at an acceptable level ? If not, can you advise a couple alternatives you feel I can use comfortably ?? :barefoot:
The Hein solo violin works great...it, along with Emo Cello and the Adagio Viola and Bass are my solo string defaults.

ism

Anybody care to share their opinion about the quality of the Solo Viola in this library?

Thanks!

It is 3-4 generations behind the current state of the art. Ok for certain kinds of first chair work, I guess. But an abomination if you're trying to mock of Beethoven quartets.

In general, I would seriously advise taking the demo video with a grain of salt.

OP
Parsifal666

Parsifal666

I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.
But an abomination if you're trying to mock of Beethoven quartets.
Uh, most live performances of Beethoven's quartets (especially the late) are abominations. Those pieces aren't going to be captured properly by any library anytime soon. And yeah, I've endured dozens of trys...it ain't happening.

I've studied those quartets my whole life, they probably are his greatest masterworks (at the least the most expressive and forward-thinking...the end of the Classical era itself).

Oh no, I'm raving on LvB again..

Last edited:

NYC Composer

Larry (happy new year btw!) first of all, you just bought for less than 30 dollars a viola library with ensembles, divisi and solo all with a beautiful tone, and you're complaining? :) I encourage you to take some time to understand how this instrument has been conceived, and how to take advantage of its strengths... and no, I'm not bothered by the stereo inconsistencies... oh I see that the tone of my reply could seem very serious or irritated, but it's not like that, I'm smiling as I'm writing this my friend...
Rob, and a VERY happy New Year to you, my friend!

No, not complaining at all. Having gone through the whole library quickly, there are just a few things I’d use personally (mostly the section legatos and the sustains, which I like very much) you’re certainly right that time spent will improve my understanding and ability to get the best out of it, but personally I’d rather turn to the CSSS solo instruments for their also nice tone and much greater consistently and ease of use. Time will tell, of course.

Reactions: Rob
Top Bottom