What's new

Anyone else sick of the Amazon, ebay "bait and switch" BS on price listings

bill5

This has happened so many times...I'm looking for something so do a search, many products come up. The price is clearly listed. Then you click on it and that's the MINIMUM price in a widely varying price range, and when you select things like color/size options, of course the price jumps up to or near the max price. Getting so sick of it I think I'll just go back to actually going to the store to shop. At least that way there are no games.

What drives me nuts is it just wastes my time and it's so pointless and stupid. Do they really think I'm going to go "oh it costs way more than I thought, but I'm already on this page, so I might as well buy it" - ?

I'm looking for something so do a search, many products come up. The price is clearly listed. Then you click on it and that's the MINIMUM price in a widely varying price range, and when you select things like color/size options, of course the price jumps up to or near the max price.

I have literally never seen this. Have an example?
Do they really think I'm going to go "oh it costs way more than I thought, but I'm already on this page, so I might as well buy it" - ?
That is exactly what they think. Know why? Because that is exactly what most people do.

What drives me nuts is it just wastes my time and it's so pointless and stupid. Do they really think I'm going to go "oh it costs way more than I thought, but I'm already on this page, so I might as well buy it" - ?
They might as well have a sign that says "We think you're a f***ing idiot so we're going to treat you like one" because that's how it comes across! :emoji_angry:

I have literally never seen this. Have an example?
Go to either one and shop for clothing. The last example I had was looking for men's dress shoes on Amazon. Put in a price range and shop around, you'll see it.

That is exactly what they think. Know why? Because that is exactly what most people do.
I seriously doubt it's most. People are only going to pay what they were willing in the first place.

This has happened so many times...I'm looking for something so do a search, many products come up. The price is clearly listed. Then you click on it and that's the MINIMUM price in a widely varying price range, and when you select things like color/size options, of course the price jumps up to or near the max price. Getting so sick of it I think I'll just go back to actually going to the store to shop. At least that way there are no games.

You could try turning the tables on them and put the thing you want into your shopping cart but then not buy it and wait for the "shopping card abandonment protection" to kick in and send you an email with a voucher or just straight up reduced price. Also make sure to do your research on things in a different browser than the one you use to buy things. Sometimes there are systems in place to display higher prices to people who they know are interested in buying a thing.

You could try turning the tables on them and put the thing you want into your shopping cart but then not buy it and wait for the "shopping card abandonment protection" to kick in and send you an email with a voucher or just straight up reduced price.
? I've had things in my cart for a long time and that has never happened to me. I get "you left something in your cart" emails, but not with any kind of voucher.

? I've had things in my cart for a long time and that has never happened to me. I get "you left something in your cart" emails, but not with any kind of voucher.
It's store dependant I guess. It has happend to me before. Or once I tried to cancel an order because I thought I had done something wrong and they opened a popup with "how about 5% off if you buy it now instead of cancelling?". Or a subscription that I have has repeatedly offered me 50% off for 1 month if I keep it instead of cancelling.

Oh I'm talking strictly ebay and Amazon (any seller). Mostly I think it's the cheaper knockoffs made in China that do this (for those about to have a hissy, I'm not saying just because it was made in China that's why etc etc, just most of the ones I've encountered were from China).

The other little trick they do is offer something ridiculously less expensive than such products normally are...then make it all up with outrageous shipping costs. The other day I saw a $15 item with $17 shipping.

I'm just sick of the games. Tell me how much the #### thing costs, period.

Prices also change by time of day. I remember looking for some headphones awhile back and noticing that the best price was always around 1am.

I see advertising as an example of what C.S. Lewis once described as a "marriage between science and the occult." They play many different games to put one price idea into your mind and then steer you toward another, and the games are ever evolving. It's silly to me, and at least amoral if not immoral, but trivial. It is a symptom of something else that is far less trivial, but that's a whole other subject.

From the vantage point of wanting to make money, it's easy to see why they do it. They do it because it works, simple like that, exploiting the fact that in large numbers we are statistically predictable. The classic example is $99.99 instead of $100. Virtually every consumer on the planet understands what is being presented, yet $99.99 still sells better.

And now that commerce is being driven by black box algorithms, price changes are often individuated and can fluctuate from moment-to-moment rather than from week-to-week. But the old axiom of "Let the buyer beware" remains unchanged.

I’m currently dealing with a shady Amazon vendor, the issue isn’t price related but misrepresentation,the product does not match what was promoted and sold online when I made the purchase.
The day after I received the item I received an unsolicited email from the vendor saying people have been recieving incorrect orders. They asked customers if there was an issue to send a photo and they would replace the item and there was no need to send the item in question back. I sent the photo and they then replied that the order was correct and they just changed the labeling on the item,blah blah blah.I think they are doing this to avoid complaints of fraud and risk a lawsuit on the scam product. Thsee are Anti-fungal pens for a toenail. Which viewed online clearly says it’s for the treatment as an Anti-Fungal solution. Receiving a package that makes absolutely no mention of the contents being utilized for toenail with this condition doesn’t instill confidence for me as a consumer.
From my perspective the real problem with websites like Amazon or eBay with all of the independent vendors whether the issue is bait and switch pricing or selling items and not delivering as advertised is these sites don’t have the ability or desire to police vendors like they probably should. They are dealing with thousands and thousands of different vendors and properly policing all of the vendors would be costly,take away substantial profits and is probably impossible with their business models and current platforms.
So unfortunately the convenience of buying online from these types of online behemoths also comes with inherent risks.

Top Bottom