1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone actually USE Komplete Kontrol over Kontakt?

Discussion in 'KONTAKT: Sampling, Programming & Scripting' started by madfloyd, Oct 15, 2017.

1. krops

krops Senior Member

Sep 4, 2014
    I found this mail in my inbox; I didn't pay it any mind when I first got it, but found out just now that I needed it to get access to the previews.

Maybe search for it in your inbox (and spam folder?) The subject of the mail is "IMPORTANT: How to activate the new sound previews feature"

2. TigerTheFrog

TigerTheFrog Senior Member

Nov 18, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    It should have come if you have registered with NI.

If you can't find it in your spam folder, then you are going to have to get in touch with NI. You can try with customer service, but I would also recommend posting on their forum or using social media. That might get you a speedier response.

3. j_kranz

j_kranz Senior Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Los Angeles
    It hasn't yet replaced Kontakt in my template... HOWEVER, for Reaktor instruments (Form/Prism/Razor etc.) I love it :)

4. mac

mac Guest

I do. I hate working without the lightguide, and the controller mappings are pretty good 80% of the time.

5. TigerTheFrog

Nov 18, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    I generally use Komplete Kontrol because of all the advantages of using it with my NI keyboard, particularly with with NKS instruments. With NKS it makes them much easier to use, as for example quickly exploring presets in a synth.

But even with ones that don't have NKS, it's easy to create templates with the Controller Editor, so I have the light guides and the controller knobs set up the way I want. There are also third party companies that offer NKS-like features for synths like Omnisphere, and I've taken advantage of them.

But for certain instruments Kontakt works out better for me.

6. ChazC

ChazC Senior Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Melbourne
    Well I like the lightguide and scale functions (I'm a terrible pianist!) but I've always found it really cumbersome to get 3rd party libraries up and running in Kontakt. I'm always left thinking "there's got to be an easier way than this". I'm convinced I'm not using KK correctly. Can anyone point me in the direction of an 'idiots guide' to using Kontakt within KK?!

Even using registered libraries is a pain - for example yesterday I had a use for Action Strings but I had to load my saved blank Kontakt in manually so I could get to the Kontakt browser to then select AS, which I'm sure must be a long winded way of going about it? The only 'quick' way I've found is once I've actually loaded a library up in Kontakt is then save that as a favourite in KK.

7. TigerTheFrog

Nov 18, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm not sure why you can't get Action Strings as it's part of Komplete and comes right up in the KK interface. If you load KK, it's there, along with all the NKS instruments. Just push the "browse" button on your NI controller.

In terms of working in KK with third party non-NKS instruments, I don't know how much you know already, but perhaps this video will help you.

Do you have track templates in your DAW? That's generally how I handle things. I load up KK, then load a VST into it. Then I save it as a track template. The next time it's just one click and the whole thing comes up, just the way I want it.

Alex Niedt and ChazC like this.
  8. ChazC

ChazC Senior Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Melbourne
    Thanks for that. Yeah, I'm beginning to think there's something a bit screwy with my install tbh. I'm not sure KK is picking up everything it should be in it's index.

9. ka00

ka00 Senior Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    I have a preset in Logic that loads Komplete Kontrol inside of which is an empty instance of Kontakt, loaded in Expanded View. This preset also keeps Komplete Kontrol's own Browser and other UI elements collapsed. This way, I can select Kontakt libraries inside Kontakt as per normal (bypassing the KK browser altogether), and the fact that its in Expanded View allows the Kontakt instruments to be loaded and tweaked immediately.

The main reason I bother doing this is so the Light Guide works. If it worked out of the gate with Kontakt, then I wouldn't bother with KK.

10. galactic orange

galactic orange Sensor Number

Jun 23, 2016
    Komplete Kontrol vs Kontakt question here. I've got a Logic template of OT Berlin Orchestra Inspire with all instrument samples purged. The Logic project using Kontakt instances comes in at about 754 MB. Okay. Then I converted all the tracks to Komplete Kontrol so I can use the browser and light guide. The Logic Project with the same number of instruments is 4.02 GB. Am I doing something wrong here? Does the Komplete Kontrol wrapper use that much memory?

UPDATE: Logic was set to save up to 100 undo steps and every time I loaded or purged samples it was remembering that state as a step. So I deleted all the undo data and the file was back to a reasonable size.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  11. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    KK itself doesn't use that much memory per instance IIRC, but it's complicating multiple instruments usage - as KK only supports single instruments. I mean, you CAN use multis in Kontakt, but you lose the benefit of LightGuide...

Not to mention OT instruments are just not optimized very well internally...

12. galactic orange

Jun 23, 2016
    Ain't that the truth...

Shad0wLandsUK likes this.
  13. galactic orange

Jun 23, 2016
    I updated my post earlier about large project file sizes. However I found an even more substantial issue is loading time of Kontakt vs KK. My samples purged, 30 instrument Kontakt orchestral template loads in about 26 seconds and takes over 2 minutes when the Komplete Kontrol template is loaded. Mac Mini 2.6 quad-core i7. That’s quite a difference in load times.

14. GeneraStudios

GeneraStudios Member

Jun 10, 2018
    I only use Komplete Kontrol if the library i'm using heavily utilizes colored keys, at least inside Logic. However when i'm using Maschine I use the dedicated software which allows me to also take advantage of the Komplete Kontrol functionality. Its nice to have the extra functionality on the keyboard, but 99% of the time when i'm playing i'm writing to record so its just as easy to hit record a second time with latch enabled and move some controls around on the mouse. I like using the mouse to move controls around because you get to use the GUI instead of navigating through page windows.

In Logic I have some of the same issues you have, having to click the + to see advanced controls (same in Maschine), having to open up the application to load new libraries. I don't really move my libraries around since I use the search feature, but the light guide seems to always work (in and out of Logic). I'm guessing the idea of the collapsed viewer is because Komplete Kontrol and Maschine are trying to streamline everything, and the average user probably just uses presets with minimal tweaks (kind of the whole point of the browsing functionality, to find presets easier and tweak quickly).

galactic orange likes this.