What's new

Anybody using the new mac mini?

This maybe won't answer your question but my tech adviser told me that it might be too weak to be a reliable work station, so I ordered a iMac Pro instead of the mac mini.

I was looking at a refurbished trashcan but then came across the mini.I would be using it for cubase and pro tools. I have a slave for sample libs but would still want instruments/plugins etc running on it.
I guess I was swayed by the mac mini being shiny and new compared to a used bin!! But the spec of the MP6.1 is more powerful. I always find it hard to gauge what's necessary and what's overkill for what we do when specing comps. Cheers for the reply guys.

Just got one yesterday to replace my trashcan that had been having lots of issues. In benchmarks the top of the line mini with the 6 core I7 matches the 6core Xeons I had. I've added an external GPU which easily out performs the old computers dual graphics cards. Got the same size internal SSD, and installed the RAM myself to save $350 over Apples inflated memory prices. Plus, I got $1300 trade-in for my Trashcan, so the whole upgrade is only costing $900.

I'm still installing plugins, but on paper, this computer should equal or out-perform the old one for all tasks.

Just got one yesterday to replace my trashcan that had been having lots of issues. In benchmarks the top of the line mini with the 6 core I7 matches the 6core Xeons I had. I've added an external GPU which easily out performs the old computers dual graphics cards. Got the same size internal SSD, and installed the RAM myself to save $350 over Apples inflated memory prices. Plus, I got $1300 trade-in for my Trashcan, so the whole upgrade is only costing $900.

I'm still installing plugins, but on paper, this computer should equal or out-perform the old one for all tasks.

Keep us updated. Interested in maybe doing the same over here.

Hi there, how did it work out for those who got one?

I'm about to purchase one of those at their full specs with:

6-core 3.2GHz
2TB SSD
64GB RAM

For 4849€ I could get it new and directly from Apple as my next main machine.
I wonder if there are any better alternatives nowadays.

6-core 3.2GHz
2TB SSD
64GB RAM

Hooooolyyy, you want to buy a Mac mini for 4849? Are you aware of the thermal topic?

There are many videos on youtube about it

God, please wait at least for the new Mac Pro at least.

Last edited:
Hooooolyyy, you want to buy a Mac mini for 4849? Are you aware of the thermal topic?

There are many videos on youtube about it

God, please wait at least for the new Mac Pro at least.

I agree that $4849 seems like a lot for a mac mini, but I watched the video and didn't see anything that would make me concerned. The folks in the video did a thorough job - thanks for posting it. My take-aways were; (1) that the mac mini is very fast, and (2) they weren't able to make it significantly faster by swapping out the stock thermal paste with other thermal pastes. It did show that the mini slows down a little bit when the CPU reaches a specified temperature, but that's expected and didn't seem too extreme. Have you heard of any significant reliability issues with the 2018 mini due to temperature control problems?

Here's a link to another thermal test on the 2018 mini:
https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...tling-and-performance-in-the-2018-i7-mac-mini. Their final conclusion was; "All this said, we're impressed with how the performance on the Mac mini held up as the job progressed and time ticked on. The clock speed averaged out at around 3.4GHz to 3.5GHz under 100 percent CPU workload with the i7 models, but at no point did it drop below the 3.2GHz base clock speed —making it a solid performer even when under load for a long time."

What would be the best alternatives as for today?

I'm very much interested in getting a new machine directly from Apple.com and I know these aren't cheap.

The main issues I'm reading all over internet concerning the mac mini is the problem with wifi and bluetooth. That actually changed my mind about getting one.

6-core 3.2GHz
2TB SSD
64GB RAM

For that money you could get an iMac pro, or perhaps wait for the modular Mac Pro releasing later this year.

I just went through a similar dilemma.. Needed a new Mac RIGHT NOW for work, and couldn't wait till the next Mac Pro announcement around the corner.. so the question was- Refurb Mac Pro trashcan, New iMac Pro, or new Mac mini spec'd out to the max.. this thread really helped me make my decision.. which was buying a recurved mint condition trashcan from OWC hotrodded out- 3 ghz 10 core, 2 tb SSD HD, 96GB ram for about $3K.. Also there has been an audio glitch issue with USB audio interfaces with the new mini's that had been reported, but I don't know if its been fixed yet.. check out this helpful thread on gear slutz before you make your decision! https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mus...ac-mini-2018-really-smoke-mac-pro-2013-a.html

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 12.29.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 12.29.45 PM.png
    43.1 KB · Views: 12
The main issues I'm reading all over internet concerning the mac mini is the problem with wifi and bluetooth. That actually changed my mind about getting one.

Didn't realize this was a known internet concern. But I can confirm my experience with the new Mac Mini has been remarkable, except for the Bluetooth connection to the trackpad (keyboard is completely fine, just trackpad issues). I honestly think it might be the bluetooth watch I wear. But I grabbed a new USB hub with a long extension, it's permanently plugged in; have had zero issues since. But wifi has been solid. It does run a bit hot (still need to measure the exact temp) when I surpass 60 instances of Kontakt in Logic X. But I haven't noticed a dip in performance at all. Apple assured me the unit is fine and won't melt or explode or make me listen to Rick Astley on purpose. Getting 6 new cores was absolutely worth it (upgraded from Macbook Pro). There's nothing "weak" about this machine. Don't pay for all that extra internal storage though, those prices are nuts. Just get a dock with separate drives (good future proofing for you anyway regardless if you buy Mac or Windows).

Didn't realize this was a known internet concern. But I can confirm my experience with the new Mac Mini has been remarkable, except for the Bluetooth connection to the trackpad (keyboard is completely fine, just trackpad issues). I honestly think it might be the bluetooth watch I wear. But I grabbed a new USB hub with a long extension, it's permanently plugged in; have had zero issues since. But wifi has been solid. It does run a bit hot (still need to measure the exact temp) when I surpass 60 instances of Kontakt in Logic X. But I haven't noticed a dip in performance at all. Apple assured me the unit is fine and won't melt or explode or make me listen to Rick Astley on purpose. Getting 6 new cores was absolutely worth it (upgraded from Macbook Pro). There's nothing "weak" about this machine. Don't pay for all that extra internal storage though, those prices are nuts. Just get a dock with separate drives (good future proofing for you anyway regardless if you buy Mac or Windows).
I use this for temp+

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-power-gadget-20

Just to throw a monkey wrench into anyone's plan here..... If you live near an Apple store, it might be worth your while to go in and talk to them about your purchase. I know it's not common place, but you CAN get a discount through the 'Apple Business' plan (I think that's what it's called) once you pass a certain threshold on your yearly spending.

I just bought an iMac Pro 10 core + 64GB ram and decided to buy it in person at the Apple store. The employees there actually talked me out of making the purchase on that specific day as I would have paid full price, and instead set me up with a member from their business team. It took a few extra days to get everything squared away, but I ended up with a discount of around $800. Which is a pretty hefty savings IMO, especially coming from Apple where discounts are mostly unheard of.

I believe the minimum threshold for jumping into their business class is $5k/year..., which is conveniently the base model iMac Pro.

Last edited:
Used 3 Mac mini (i7, 6 cores 3.2 Ghz, 64 GB ram) for a multimedia installation. Ran a bunch of Max patches, 24 audio outputs via 3 x RME.

The whole rig ran perfectly for 8 weeks straight, 24/7 no down time.

Also tested against our nMP cylinder running CB10 and Vepro. They outperform the 6 cores but not the 12 cores (no big surprise there I guess).

I checked out several threads on Gearslutz and this late 2018 mac mini (i7, 6-core 3.2GHz) seems to be quite solid.
An iMac (Quad-Core, 4.2GHz) would cost a bit more at its maximum specs, the screen really looks phenomenal.

But I agree that a 2013 TrashCan MacPro with 12-cores is less expensive and seems to work best currently for a big set-up.

I'd be interested to know more about those who worked on let's say big productions with the mac mini though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom