What's new

Any Thoughts on Chromaphone 3?

Markrs

Complete Beginner
I have watched a few video on AAS Chromaphone 3 and it looks interesting but was never cheap enough to tempt me. It is currently only $69 till the end of 1st March 2021 (today) at Time+Space using the code TSBUYC3 (thanks to @LoveEnigma for the tip on KVR). Wondering if any people here own it and their thoughts on it.

EDIT: Sadly the voucher code doesn't work if you login, might have been limited to certain accounts.

Last edited:
Unique and fantastic sounding PM synth. BestService have the same deal. Edit: erm... no they don’t. I misread (€89 over there). For $69 it’s the best deal I’ve seen so far.

Last edited:
Love it. Great sounds. Except it uses alot of memory and CPU, even with reduced voices. I'd love to use lots of instances of it in a large template, but that's rather unfeasible for now.

This is the first AAS upgrade I didn't buy, even for the relatively low upgrade price. Firstly because I still prefer the second, less cluttered GUI over the third incarnation, secondly because of a significant number of comments on high CPU and memory usage and not at last because I simply don't use the modelling collection that much anymore.
I upgraded String Studio about two years ago and while V3 comes with hundreds of new patches I still prefer to work with the second version by some stretch for a number of reasons one of them being my preference for the patch manager in V2. YMMV.
So if AAS want any of my money they better come up with something like Wind or Brass Studio but I certainly won't hold my breath.

I've been a bit of an AAS fan since Tassman - the cut-down version 1 that was included with Sonar, or maybe it was still CWPA? Anyway, when they offered a bit of a deal to upgrade to the full version I did. It was, at the time, a CPU pig. That improved over the span of the next four versions, with V4 being no worse that any of my other vst instruments. And then they killed it off. I still have it on my system, and will keep it until it stops working.

Along came Chromaphone, first release was a bit resource heavy, but V3 is only a little bit of a resource hog, quite manageable really, since I can't imagine having more than 2 or 3 instances, and more likely just 1.

It sounds great to my ears. And you can create a pretty wide range of sounds. In many ways it feels like the logical extension of Tassman, and while the feature set is not quite as extensive, there are more than enough toys to play with.

I have only purchased one of sound packs, and I found it to be really helpful not just for the sounds, but for ideas for creating my own sounds. With the current sale I am thinking about adding a couple more (Epicenters, and Octagon).

Anyway, I think it is a cool, quirky vst synthesizer, and well worth the price, even more so at half off. (I have no financial interest in AAS, in spite of my enthusiasm)

I totally agree with Bill aka wst3,I am also a long time AAS user.
My favorite plugins from APPLIED Acoustics are Ultra Analog and most definitely Chromaphone.i also concur while Chromaphone in it’s present incarnation is CPU intensive and can place demands on a system if I’m going to use it I might have one or two instances of it at most.
I will use it as a contrasting color or spice,it’s unique and a great plugin but the idea of using Chromaphone on several tracks in a song would not really interest me or seem realistically appropriate.Used sparingly for me it’s the perfect choice and serves a purpose that’s unique and has a place in my arsenal,for $69 grab it!

Sadly the voucher code doesn't work if you login, might have been limited to certain accounts.

Sadly the voucher code doesn't work if you login, might have been limited to certain accounts.
Send Time Space support a message,they are extremely helpful ,responsive and might make an accommodation if they didn’t spell that out in the promotion.

Chromaphone 2/3 are both NKS ready so if you have a komplete kontrol controller it makes tweaking sounds and navigating much easier

Horrible CPU usage.

I don't use it, and they have not bothered fixing. Not Good.
I actually talked to AAS about this,their explanation is that Chromaphone 3 is not really more CPU demanding than version 2 and if you weren’t using the dual layer function or whatever they doubled in this version. I haven’t tested this theory or compared the two versions directly but AAS said they are well aware of the complaints and if they can figure out a way to optimize Chromaphone 3 they certainly will.
Diva at times can be CPU demanding but I use it because I love the sound and for me Chromaphone is pretty much the same.
I’m not generally going to write a song using 10 or 12 tracks of Diva and I’m not going to write a song with 10 or 12 tracks using Chromaphone, I use them when they are the right synth for the moment for the color and mood I’m trying to create. Although if I wanted to do several tracks of the synths on a song I’d freeze tracks and get it done.
just my 2 cents

I actually talked to AAS about this,their explanation is that Chromaphone 3 is not really more CPU demanding than version 2 and if you weren’t using the dual layer function or whatever they doubled in this version.
Not true.

It requires a ridiculous amount of CPU. that makes Chromaphone 3 unusable for me. What's the point of using Chromaphone 3 without using the double layer ? Isn't that the feature they were selling it on ?

Not true.

It requires a ridiculous amount of CPU. that makes Chromaphone 3 unusable for me. What's the point of using Chromaphone 3 without using the double layer ? Isn't that the feature they were selling it on ?
Unusable on one or two tracks in a song? Not in my experience but of course ymmv.

Sorry, I missed the following note at the end of the email:

Code expires 1st March 2021 and can only be used once by customers who have bought a Chromaphone Sound Pack from Time+Space. Applies to full product only and not the Upgrade.

However, as I mentioned on KVR, the code worked for me even when I was not logged in, so I thought it might work for others.

Either way, just think of it as $69 saved. :)

I have a fairly old computer now and it's perfectly fine here. Certainly no worse than Diva or the Dark Zebra. While not as cheap as $69, you can still get it directly from Applied Acoustics for $99 (if that helps).

For anyone who wants to try it out on their system, you can download a trial version from their site.

I haven't ponied up for version 3 yet. Huge fan of it when it first came out. Richard Devine has done some great patches for it.

AAS have regular sales FWIW and most of their plugs are worthy of attention.

Top Bottom