What's new

Any reason to keep Kontakt 5?

I have Kontakt 6. Are there any issues with libraries that still need Kontakt 5?
Not that I'm aware of. I got Kontakt 6 on it's release, and never had a problem with older libraries.
For compatibility with past projects, you have to keep on using Kontakt 5.

If you ever want to import libraries from other formats, or export K5 libraries into a format that can be read by Translator or other conversion apps - then keep K5. K6 will NOT import instruments from EXS / Giga / whatever, and instruments saved by K6 cannot be read by any other app - at least, that's what NI says.

So even the mundane task of importing an EXS instrument that you may like into Kontakt is not possible in K6.

For most, not a problem. For me, BIG problem.

I should have mentioned that if you do keep both K5 and K6 around, you can import foreign-format instruments into K5, save them in K5 format, and then load them into K6.

So the pathway from external formats into K6 is still open - as long as you keep K5 around.

The pathway from K6 to external formats is, however, closed - K6 instruments will not open in K5, so there appears to be no "down-convert" pathway available.

Major dick-move from NI.

I should have mentioned that if you do keep both K5 and K6 around, you can import foreign-format instruments into K5, save them in K5 format, and then load them into K6.

So the pathway from external formats into K6 is still open - as long as you keep K5 around.

The pathway from K6 to external formats is, however, closed - K6 instruments will not open in K5, so there appears to be no "down-convert" pathway available.

Major dick-move from NI.

Agreed, Charlie. I customize a ton of my sample libs by programming them in Kontakt, and also import and convert old Giga libs into Kontakt. To lose that ability... it's really annoying. Oh, well, guess I'm stuck with 5.8 or whatever this is for the rest of my life. :P

Mike

I had to re-install K5.66 (32bit, in its own folder) to keep using Kirk Hunter's Spotlight Solo Strings. For quick mockups...

I had to re-install K5.66 (32bit, in its own folder) to keep using Kirk Hunter's Spotlight Solo Strings. For quick mockups...
Interesting. I have Spotlight Strings and tested. Sure enough, the UI doesn't respond properly in K6, but everything is fine in K5... Never heard of backward compatibility issues with Kontakt before.

Major dick-move from NI.

Thanks for reminding me of this!

I've found that some of my 8dio libraries work poorly in K6 but fine in K5. I didn't troubleshoot a whole lot.

nteresting. I have Spotlight Strings and tested. Sure enough, the UI doesn't respond properly in K6, but everything is fine in K5
KH Spotlight ceased to function properly in K5.8 onwards, which is why I "forced" the K5.6 re-installation (from a a safeguarded download in pre-Native Access days). I can probably scrap K5.8, but you never know..

Update: Kirk supplied "Instruments 2.0" (only violins had the problem) which work in K5.8. But still not in K6.... The Violin buttons seem to hunt for a non-existent file in C:\users\user\Kirk\...!

KH Concert Strings 3 seems ok in K6. And my early download of this still allows solo strings, as Kirk was planning to stop Spotlight, but seems to have changed his mind.

Last edited:
I have problems with 8Dio Libraries. They work fine with Kontakt 5 but they mean that they are just demos when I load them in Kontakt 6. This happens to many other libraries also which I have not in the browser of Kontakt.

Honestly, you should only delete "old final versions" of things if you're convinced backwards compatibility is a human right, all companies should always support everything always and you enjoy being angry when they don't.

You know. Speaking as a software developer.

Only slightly off-topic:

I know it's possible for K4, K5 and K6 to coexist on the same computer. Is it possible for (say) K5.7 and K5.8 to coexist? Or do you have to swap .dll files every time you need one rather than the other?

Only slightly off-topic:

I know it's possible for K4, K5 and K6 to coexist on the same computer. Is it possible for (say) K5.7 and K5.8 to coexist? Or do you have to swap .dll files every time you need one rather than the other?

Sadly, you'll have to swap dll files if you want to go between 5.x versions.

Top Bottom