What's new

Any news on the Nektar GXP88?

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
Just wondering if there's a release date for the Nektar GXP88 Semi Weighted 88 key controller that was announced at NAMM?

The site says March but wondering if there's a date yet? Eager to try this out as it's an affordable 88key controller that's semi weighted (not looking for a weighted at the minute as just don't write much Piano music) with a slim profile and would suit me as a temporary controller at the minute.

https://nektartech.com/impact-gxp88-midi-controller-keyboard/

For the price and bearing in mind there are few semi weighted 88 key controllers, I’m definitely interested. I’ve tried so many weighted controllers and they basically all feel pretty terrible. Combined with the fact I don’t really write much piano music I just thought a semi weighted would be better at the moment. This is cheap enough to not get full of rage if it sucks. For this price, I expect it to but no more than what’s out there already 😂

It might make a good replacement for the battered keystation under my desk. I’ve generally liked the nektars I’ve owned.

It might make a good replacement for the battered keystation under my desk. I’ve generally liked the nektars I’ve owned.

I like how thin it is. Those mod and pitch wheels look rather bad and tiny. Probably good if your hands are the size of a toddler.

And that’s why we use hardware faders!

Just wondering if there's a release date for the Nektar GXP88 Semi Weighted 88 key controller that was announced at NAMM?

The site says March but wondering if there's a date yet? Eager to try this out as it's an affordable 88key controller that's semi weighted (not looking for a weighted at the minute as just don't write much Piano music) with a slim profile and would suit me as a temporary controller at the minute.

https://nektartech.com/impact-gxp88-midi-controller-keyboard/
I'm waiting for the first hand on experiences too. Quite interested in it. I like the thin profile and the semi weighted keys.
On the Thomann site, they announce it to be in stock in one week.
I might be the one who give first hand experience in fact :)

I'm waiting for the first hand on experiences too. Quite interested in it. I like the thin profile and the semi weighted keys.
On the Thomann site, they announce it to be in stock in one week.
I might be the one who give first hand experience in fact :)

I'm gonna order one as soon as released! Need more keys than the NI M32 and just some keys that aren't micro keys would be nice!

Funnily enough Jono, i am in a very similiar situation to you - needed a 88 Semi weighted Keyboard, for Orchestral and Media composing - Full weighted Keys over the cross of the day could be tiring (or i am just getting old).

Anyway, tried the Maudio - its Velocity curve was awful, so now have the Nektar LX88+ which is much bettter but still far from perfect.

Have you seen the Arturia 88 Keylab essential ? Looks pretty good and is actually available, but i have not been able to test it. Like you say there is few options.

https://www.arturia.com/products/hybrid-synths/keylab-essential-88/overview

The other option is some of the High end synths - For example, i have a MODx with 76 keys, and they are lovely to play. Though getting 88 semi weighted may be a problem , and also a huge investment if you aint already got one.

Funnily enough Jono, i am in a very similiar situation to you - needed a 88 Semi weighted Keyboard, for Orchestral and Media composing - Full weighted Keys over the cross of the day could be tiring (or i am just getting old).

Anyway, tried the Maudio - its Velocity curve was awful, so now have the Nektar LX88+ which is much bettter but still far from perfect.

Have you seen the Arturia 88 Keylab essential ? Looks pretty good and is actually available, but i have not been able to test it. Like you say there is few options.

https://www.arturia.com/products/hybrid-synths/keylab-essential-88/overview

The other option is some of the High end synths - For example, i have a MODx with 76 keys, and they are lovely to play. Though getting 88 semi weighted may be a problem , and also a huge investment if you aint already got one.

I would never buy anything from Arturia. I have a borrowed Keylab88 in my apartment and it's probably the worse feeling controller I've ever tried. So much so I prefer to use the NI M32. :laugh: I just looked at your link regarding the Keylab Essential out of curiosity regardless and I'm looking for a much thinner controller.

I've been playing around with a Yamaha ModX8 at the studio I work at. It's an amazing Controller and feels really good (for Weighted) however, I can't borrow it, and it costs about $2k... and not thin enough for what I want.

IMG_3099.JPG

I will keep holding out for this Nektar GXP88

Hey @jononotbono - how are you liking the M32? I'm thinking of getting one for use as a desktop controller and demoting the 88 to under the desk for when I actually need it.
Any thoughts welcome!
A

Now available in 9-12 weeks. :eek:

American Musical Supply in New Jersey, United States, claims to have the GXP88 in stock. I haven't called them to verify that.

My package is already in delivery and should arrive today (Thomann Germany).
Please let us know what you think. The product description suggests that the keybed design is updated from their GX and LX keybeds, without going into any detail. Thanks!

Please let us know what you think. The product description suggests that the keybed design is updated from their GX and LX keybeds, without going into any detail. Thanks!

Aside from the aftertouch, I'm guessing that the redesign might be in response to the many complaints about the black keys on the old design being set at a higher tension than the white ones.

I might be wrong.

Really like the footprint, but it seems loke such a missed opportunity to not squeeze 8 knobs on top.

Top Bottom