1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Logic's stack experts here?

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by kimarnesen, Feb 12, 2018.

1. kimarnesen

kimarnesen Composer

Feb 12, 2014
    I'm using VEP 6 and have a long list of multi-timbral instruments in Logic. I organize them in stack folders (good idea?) like "ensemble strings", "solo strings" etc.

Two questions:

1. How do I add a new track that automatically assigns to the multi-timbral VEP instance AND stack folder?

2. If I have 32 ethnic instruments and want them all in one stack, can I have two VEP instances in one stack? I want to avoid stacks like "ethnic 1", "ethnic 2" etc.

2. Wolfie2112

Wolfie2112 Senior Member

1) If recall correctly, open the stack folder, click on the last track and choose Track > Other > New Track with Next Channel.

2) Yes, for sure you can do this with a regular folder stack. Summing stacks should work the same.

kimarnesen likes this.
  3. mc_deli

mc_deli n trepreneur

Feb 22, 2015
    You might wanna check out using groups if it's track navigation that has led you to stacks... there have been some interesting posts on that here recently

whinecellar likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    kimarnesen

kimarnesen Composer

Feb 12, 2014
    OK, I'll see if I can find some info about that.

5. OP
    OP
    kimarnesen

kimarnesen Composer

Feb 12, 2014
    I actually don't find the "other > New Track with Next Channel"

I was able to add a new track by selecting a previous one and click ctrl+enter, but it doesn't become part of the stack, so I have to flatten the track and create it again.

6. tmhuud

tmhuud Brown Belt

Nov 19, 2006
    Hollywood
    I just drag and drop them into the folder.

7. whinecellar

whinecellar Senior Member

That was me - I think in the Logic 10.4 thread. I was talking about the switch from old style folders to track stacks, and now ditching them both in favor of the 32 available “hide groups” in Logic 10.4. That solves every problem I’ve ever had with folders or track stacks and makes navigating huge templates far easier!

8. OP
    OP
    kimarnesen

kimarnesen Composer

Feb 12, 2014
    How does it work?

9. whinecellar

See this post and then the following answers to it - I explain it all there:

synthpunk and kimarnesen like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    kimarnesen

kimarnesen Composer

Feb 12, 2014
    Thank you, I look fo
    Thank you, I look forward to checking out the feature.

How do you deal with the limited outputs in Logic? Do you have only outputs for stems in Logic?

11. synthpunk

synthpunk Senior Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Hell's Kitchen/Orlando
    Jim, you have really turned into a great v.i.control Logic guru. I'm sure everyone is appreciative of your time.

mc_deli, whinecellar and kimarnesen like this.
  12. Wolfie2112

Wolfie2112 Senior Member

It's under the "Track" dropdown menu.

kimarnesen likes this.
  13. whinecellar

Dude! Thanks for the kind words - makes my day! I've always loved contributing here, so I'm glad when it's helpful ;)

Matt Riley and anp27 like this.
  14. whinecellar

Not sure I'm following you - what limited outputs? My template routing, despite having about 750 tracks, is extremely simple - at least at the start of a mix. Everything is routed to the stereo bus - no complicated auxes, multi-out schemes, etc. I do have 8-12 buses for different flavors of ER, reverb, delays, FX... but otherwise it's very simple. That keeps delay compensation from getting wacky, CPU cores well balanced, etc.

kimarnesen likes this.
  15. tmhuud

tmhuud Brown Belt

Nov 19, 2006
    Hollywood
    Groups are really great for organizing things. I hope APPLE breaks the 32 barrier. The group drop down menu is really handy as well. it would be great to add to that menu and even have some of those parameters Key Command executable.

whinecellar likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    kimarnesen

kimarnesen Composer

Feb 12, 2014
    Sorry, I meant channel strips.

17. whinecellar

Ah, OK. Well, remember that a channel strip (instrument) can be 16-channel multitimbral, so that means 255 x 16 = 4080 possible instruments loaded. Who wants to be first to try that? ;)

I'm at about 750 right now...

18. stigc56

stigc56 Senior Member

May 14, 2009
    I'm following this discussion. What I wonder is: If I have a multi-timbral instrument - VSL Flutes running on VEPro 6 on a slave - then how can I SAVE those 5 tracks together without putting into a stack?

19. studioj

studioj Senior Member

Nov 30, 2010
    I was wondering this same thing as I was checking out this new update yesterday. From what I can tell you can't do this and must use import session data to bring in groups of tracks. This would be a good feature request though. It seems saved single new tracks or saved groups of tracks should be avail in the library to load.

20. NoamL

NoamL Senior Member

Jul 6, 2015
    Import session is indeed the best way to bring in "template fragments" into a project.

Groups are best for organization.

Track stacks are for coordinating MIDI. For example I have track stacks of spiccatos from different libraries, which I can control with one MIDI performance. I almost always use summing stacks, not the other kind. The track stack itself becomes the submix.