What's new

Any DAWcast tips?

oddly im already around-18 db lufs from what I understand.

as far as boxiness, I think it's partially a consequence of the amount of eqing to get that horrendous amount of noise under control.

I'm actually using a rode nt1 - but again, it's kind of a push and pull but I'll continue to try to walk the line of de-boxing myself.

I'm actually using a rode nt1
Condenser mics (like your NT1) pick up more ambient noise than dynamic mics (like my Procaster), despite the fact that they're both cardioid mics. But that's definitely a good mic, and you should be sounding significantly better than you are. Indeed, no need to upgrade, it's now just a matter of tweaking your positioning and signal chain. Have fun! :)

Last edited:
yeah, I might dig out my old microphones for fun - but I misunderstood one of the metering plugins I use and its -18bdfs I was using as a reference. I've been used to that target for. while now - but i suppose I'm not mixing an instrument so that doesn't matter as much.

maybe I'll try -6dbfs which is closer to a pre-master goal

So you're having Audio Hijack record the audio from both Daw and Mic and Screenflow record both as well, one or the other? And then you are Sync by Waveform to conform Audio Hijack audio to the guidetrack from the audio captured from Screenflow? In which case you don't need loopback capabilities because you are doing synchronization in post. Is that right?

When I lost soundflower, I lost the ability to make quick screencast videos with software that generated audio and I'm trying to figure out how to get that capability back. It seems like to get the full capability back I need both Audio Hijack and Loopback by Rogue Amoeba. Is that right?

Ignoring my last video (which was a walkthrough on Berlin Strings and I made it suddenly realising I didn't have a decent mic with me so I just opted to use an iPhone mic and realised on playback and 4hrs later that my new generous neighbourhood contributed to a lot of endearing Foley and SFX - moving from your country on a whim does have some downsides haha) the others I used a Rodes Podcaster. Had it on a Shure Swivel Stand. Worked well. Not the greatest but I don't expect sonic miracles with a £200 Mic. The stand, however, is excellent!

Anyway, so to record the screen I use Screenflow. It's an excellent App. For 1 screen. For recording the audio (for everything) I use Audio HiJack.

So in Audio HiJack, you set up one recorder (whatever they are called. Channels? Perhaps) to record you're DAW. You set up one recorder for your mic.

In Screenflow, I actually use a webcam mic (as it shows up) and just record audio with that. It's irrelevant how sonically dogs brown it is. It's just for eventual syncing.

As for cameras, that's up to whatever you are using. I had a Go Pro laying about from a friend that never picked it up so I thought I'd use one. Just for a wide shot. The thing records in Mono. So that's that sorted. An iPhone camera for POV (and will also record the audio which is useful for syncing - or capturing New York ambience haha).

So, at this point,I just clapperboard when I hit record (which in this poor man's example means clapping my hands 3 times - just to be sure).

Then when all is said and done (usually 10 times as I forget to hit record on something) I bang it all in FCPX and sync it all and Multicam it. I really don't need to. I mean, plenty of people just record a camera, usually a webcam, and screen capture and upload straight to YouTube. But I just thought, I'd quite like to not do it like that. Obviously, nobody touches CH's videos but that's a whole different world doing that. And the place I work did actually just buy a Mavic Drone. Seriously great fun and an amazing look the camera give (in the right situation and light) but hey, I'm digressing. And drinking. Tonight's New York beverage is a can of cider, "Bombshell" - it's slogan is "Just the Right Amount of Tart".

To answer your original question, yes you need both Screenflow and Loopback for what you want to do. Still, this was a fun journey right? :laugh:

IMG_2155.JPG

Does Screenflow capture the loopback audio from system audio? I haven't been able to capture system audio on my Mac since soundflower stopped working for me a while back. I know there are solutions for loopback from audio interfaces that provide it to other software that does it. But I'm trying to get a handle on the best solution for capturing screen recordings with audio. (More interested in making videos than streaming.)

Because I can't currently loopback system audio, this is the solution I end up having to follow and it means putting everything back together in post.

Audio Hijack is great. I use Alloy in zero latency mode (Neutron would do the job too) with a multiband gate to remove noise in AH. I then use loopback directly into quicktime using Quikctime's screen capture. Screenflow should be fine with this setup as well...

Last edited:
Audio sounds much better in the last examples.
As for video, I would also try to zoom to fit the area of discussion, like just the SINE player. There's a lot of wasted space, and it can be difficult to see things on a phone/tablet. Just make video edits if showing several sections. For streams, I think DJ has his editors set to full view thus giving the same illusion.

For talking clear, I have a tendency to mumble and with my accent it doesn't help. So I found writing crib notes was a huge help. As most of my mumblings were either confidence or my brain thinking of what to say next. Like everything, less is more.
Nice tuts btw

Top Bottom