What's new

Anthology II: Adagio general discussion

I also own the original Tina Gio acoustic Cello. Basically. This library would give me a ‘less emotional’ solo cello

I would not buy this for the solo cello.

Although you are of course correct that it can accurately be described as 'less emotional' than the Tina Guo. And I guess it can add a bit of definition to a line using it as a first chair.

But there's a reason there's virtual no demo of it available.

I would not buy this for the solo cello.

Although you are of course correct that it can accurately be described as 'less emotional' than the Tina Guo. And I guess it can add a bit of definition to a line using it as a first chair.

But there's a reason there's virtual no demo of it available.

There's a playthrough from 8Dio using all the Cello patches including solo here:

There's a playthrough from 8Dio using all the Cello patches including solo here:

Yes, I saw that, we have a few seconds of the solo cello sounding. but I’d take it with a large grain of salt.

Notice for instance, how there’s no dynamics used at all in those few seconds.

Yes, I saw that, we have a few seconds of the solo cello sounding. but I’d take it with a large grain of salt.

I have it, it plays exactly like the video is doing. I find it is a nice spot in between Virharmonic and Tina Guo, it can play faster than both and still has a nice character.

I have it, it plays exactly like the video is doing. I find it is a nice spot in between Virharmonic and Tina Guo, it can play faster than both and still has a nice character.

I find it unusable. But then, I consider the dynamics the sin quo non of a solo cello - I would never play a line like in the demo that’s all at ff (with volume change of cc13 only controlling the dynamics). So I guess i’d believe there’s a certain type of lines that it’s ok for. Perhaps I just don’t happen to write such lines.

Anyway, you’re the first person i’ve heard say anything, positive or negative about the solo cello, so that’s a good data point to add. But the demos are so spare (and my experience so bad) that I’d simply warn about weighing it very heavily in a purchasing decision.

As an Anthology Strings owner, I just purchased their Adagio Violins 2.0 for $8.0 which covers the cost for the remaining sections, looking forward to receive my download code for the Adagio Cellos 2.0, and Violas 2.0 .

I wonder when 8Dio will have their 2.0 versions of their Century Strings, and Century Brass ? It has been quite a while since they mentioned the Century 2.0 versions are being worked on.
Did you get yours?

How do you like the Adagio viola upgrade? Worth it?

I think that it’s worth it for the $28 upgrade price. If I only had this version, and not the original Adagio, I would be disappointed. The number of the dynamic bowings in the original Adagio violas are really nice, and I like the ability to try different legato styles in the solo viola, instead of only one legato in the new version. The interface, of course, is a nice improvement.

Scarlet Jerry

The one reason to upgrade them all, is the have a consistent sound as a string library. Mixing and matching libraries is okay, but not the same as using all the instruments recorded in the same space.

Second, the GUI is better and more stable with Kontakt 5.

Think of the solo patches as first chairs, not as exposed solo libraries. Tina Guo is way over the top and is not an all around cello library. Comparing the two is like apples to oranges. Totally different uses.

Thanks for your reply about the solo cello. I like your analogy about using the cello as a first chair rather than an exposed cello.

Scarlet Jerry

Thanks for your reply about the solo cello. I like your analogy about using the cello as a first chair rather than an exposed cello.

Scarlet Jerry

I think the problem is in how we view the concept of “solo”. It’s literally just a single cello but it plays like a First chair more than a more expressive solo library like virharmonnic, or Tina Guo. I’d say most developers not specifically aimed at making solo instruments that can play more expressive lead lines suffer from the same. Even as good as spitfire gets, they’re never exactly as characteristically unique as the virharmonic, Tina or Joshua bell violin. 8dios solo instruments are useful if it fits your writing style, but I’d never use them completely on their own.

On a related note (no pun intended), I probably will purchase the new Cellos but not the Violins or the basses. As a hobbyist, I already mentioned in a previous post that I own CS2 and Soaring strings, as well as the 8Dio Sordinos and the Agitado Grandiose violin legato. I will miss out on the divisi legato, as well as the shorts. I have Joshua Bell, so the solo violin does not appeal to me, and if I need to get the expressive solo sound like the Schindler violin, I can just use the free violin from Perfomance Samples.

-Scarlet Jerry

Did you get yours?

I got them emailed to me after I requested them from their Support Chat. They are very responsive, and emailed them to me within a few minutes, but I have not had the time to install any of the new Adagio 2 libraries yet. :)

Has anyone tried the solo viola in this new update? There seems to be quite a volume jump when going from low C to G in legato mode. Can anyone confirm this to be sure it's not just me? Thanks

Also, to confirm...at least on my testing: The solo instruments can barely be used for any exposed writing...they are clearly only meant to be used as first chairs within a composition, and not to replace, or take the place of an actual solo library.

I'm very happy about this update, but there is one thing really bothering me right now. Maybe I'm doing something wrong:

When I play legato and than keyswitch to a short articulation and after some notes back to the legato, it triggers the same note which I played in the first legato part in the end. I repeat, because I'm not sure if you understand my words: The last note/sample in the first legato melody will be played again for a very short amount of time, when I switch to shorts and than back to legato.

I hope it is not normal and I am doing something wrong

Edit: Violins, Violas and Cellos, they all behave this way

I'm very happy about this update, but there is one thing really bothering me right now. Maybe I'm doing something wrong:

When I play legato and than keyswitch to a short articulation and after some notes back to the legato, it triggers the same note which I played in the first legato part in the end. I repeat, because I'm not sure if you understand my words: The last note/sample in the first legato melody will be played again for a very short amount of time, when I switch to shorts and than back to legato.

I hope it is not normal and I am doing something wrong

Edit: Violins, Violas and Cellos, they all behave this way

If you hold the note while switching to the short articulation, after coming back to the legato, it will make a legato transition from the last legato note (from before playing the shorts) to the next note you play legato (after coming back from the shorts).

-> You can release the legato note quickly before switching to the short articulation, then this will not happen. And the next note played legato will be seen as pick up note, that does not have a legato transition at the beginning.

Edit: Anthology behaves the same.

If you hold the note while switching to the short articulation, after coming back to the legato, it will make a legato transition from the last legato note (from before playing the shorts) to the next note you play legato (after coming back from the shorts).

-> You can release the legato note quickly before switching to the short articulation, then this will not happen. And the next note played legato will be seen as pick up note, that does not have a legato transition at the beginning.

Edit: Anthology behaves the same.

Thank you. Yes, that works. But it would be much more convinient, if the engine "forgets" about the last legato note after keyswitching.

Hmm, I only own the Adagietto and the Sordinos, so I wonder how useful these would be... In addition I own Cinematic Strings, Hollywood Strings, and Emotional Cello and Violin...
I am mostly worried about the inconsistencies in panning and other minor issues that's been there pretty much with every 8DIO product, so I am being careful.
That currently means 48$ each, or 192 for all, but I am not really sure I need them.
Hopefully we'll get a couple more impressions, I believe the Violin promo ends mid June.

Top Bottom