What's new

Annoyances you find in DAWs

kitekrazy

I have Cubase 11 sitting on a system and rarely use it. No doubt a great DAW but unlike FL, Live, Reaper, and Reason, you open it up and it's ready to go. Click the X and those close. I have a lite version of MOTU and it has the annoying opening menu. Studio One isn't as annoying. I'm never a fan of docking and undocking the piano roll.

Some like eye candy and want their DAW to be skinnable as possible. I still like the "ugly" GUIs. I was attracted to Live's 8 bit look. I still use the default Reaper skin. I have Acid Pro which I switch to the old Sony look. Then there is Melda which I have everything and I like that plain look. Kilohearts is another one that's not fancy and easy to use.

There are petty annoyances that can drive you crazy despite how great something is.

Jeremy Spencer

My annoyance is Cubase. I have been you using it for years, as well as Logic. I really want to try using Cubase more because I prefer the VEPro routing options, but I just find there’s way too much going in with the GUI. It’s like sensory overload! So many little buttons, bells, whistles and colours, like a Fisher-Price toy. And then I go back into Logic and it’s like a nice spa; nice relaxed atmosphere and simple.

OP
kitekrazy

kitekrazy

Not sure what your complaint is here...isn't this a *good* thing, then?
With the DAWs I mentioned you open them up and are ready to go. Some DAWs ask you for what built in template you want to use, save before you even start, ect. This makes even more hassle if you buy a new plugin that needs online authorization. With Reaper the plugin menu will reveal the new plugin in the manager, you open that plugin and then authorize.

OP
kitekrazy

kitekrazy

My annoyance is Cubase. I have been you using it for years, as well as Logic. I really want to try using Cubase more because I prefer the VEPro routing options, but I just find there’s way too much going in with the GUI. It’s like sensory overload! So many little buttons, bells, whistles and colours, like a Fisher-Price toy. And then I go back into Logic and it’s like a nice spa; nice relaxed atmosphere and simple.
I don't like the GUI either. I don't know why but I find having rounded corners puts me off. I stopped using Sonar because the interface became so gaudy until they came out with the X series.
As for doing dance styles I like FL Studio because of the screen real estate.

I get you. You can however, very simply deal with this, and I'm not kidding:

Just think to yourself, you don't have to use every feature, all the time. Cubase is overloaded with features I will NEVER use. The trick is to just not look at them. Use what you need. Simplify your mindset.

The thing is, if you need that specific feature, trust me, you will be glad it has it.

joebaggan

Main annoyance for me is Reaper, with the ugliest UI ever created for a software product, the endless out of control menus, having to rely on 3rd party scripts to compensate for functionality not baked in, the annoying near daily updates of bug fixes that should have been caught by QA engineers before the product was released etc. But can't complain too much for the cost.

Toecutter

Let's end this peacefully
I like Cubase, sorta got used to it, can't complain much it does what it's supposed to do. I'm often annoyed at myself for pushing the wrong buttons :thumbsdown:

ashX

I started with FL Studio but it became annoying for me doing orchestral stuff in it. And the main annoyance is no connection between instrument racks, mixer and playlist, they are like 3 different dimensions. No freeze track function (I dont count rendering to audio as freezing)
Then I tried different daws, Cubase seemed like a mess with those buttons, awful media bay/player that looks like something from Win XP. Freezing tracks looked weird because it locked channels so you need to unfreeze it to work with it again. Other than that it seemed find.
Then I tried Reaper and Ableton, Reaper for me is more cubasey but it is more comfortable for some reason. But its media player also put me off of it.
Ableton seems fine because it has a good freezing track option where you can slice, copy, edit frozen tracks, quick workflow with media player and audio files. But it seems like clusterfuck working with huge projects in it. Also its con is bad work with midi comparing to Cubase and FL. But I stick to it now because usually my projects aren't that big.

allen-garvey

Main annoyance for me is Reaper, with the ugliest UI ever created for a software product, the endless out of control menus, having to rely on 3rd party scripts to compensate for functionality not baked in, the annoying near daily updates of bug fixes that should have been caught by QA engineers before the product was released etc. But can't complain too much for the cost.
I don't think Reaper has any QA engineers as they only technically have 2 employees and a few contributors https://www.cockos.com/team.php . Impressive though what they've been able to accomplish with such a small team though. I agree with Reaper being ugly, it gives me bad memories of Windows 98.

Polkasound

My main annoyance with Cubase is that the scroll bars, which I use all the time, have been reduced to the width of a human hair.

Not to sidetrack the thread, but whenever I see FL Studio mentioned, the little voice in my head says, "Florida Studio". Anyone else, or am I all alone on this one? :blush:

Altauria

Brian P
BPM resolution is always a quarter note in many DAWs (not to be confused with click) - which is why I keep staying on DP (after serious consideration of other excellent platforms). I know it's an easy workaround, but it's another superfluous step(s) that takes me out of concentration.

Last edited:

joebaggan

I don't think Reaper has any QA engineers as they only technically have 2 employees and a few contributors https://www.cockos.com/team.php . Impressive though what they've been able to accomplish with such a small team though. I agree with Reaper being ugly, it gives me bad memories of Windows 98.
Right, when you can't afford QA engineers, you employ your users (who are paying for the product) to find the bugs.

Top Bottom