What's new

LA Modern Percussion - The update is finally here!

For fast, repeated sounds, workarounds can be used.

Don't know why the devs would release a cinematic drum lib without the requisite round robins tho. Kinda defying logic for me.

@Audio Ollie?

If you use velocity under advanced your DAW will control the the volume of each sample. You can make your hardest hits the quietest. Meaning you can balance out passages. :)

Excuse the mundane-ness of the passage. It's just to show you the volume per hit can be altered.

Thanks! :)

So, doing this with the Grand Casa Ens sounds like this:

BELOW

That's CADGEBDGCBEAC

That just doesn't work for me, because even if I smooth out the volumes even more than that to get them even closer, you can still tell that they are hits at different velocities. And sure, real players don't play every hit at the same dynamic exactly the same, but there is not THAT much of a difference - maybe a hit here or there, but not consistently.

The above ex from HZ01 - that works because the players played at the same dynamic, but as you can hear, not all the hits are exactly the same. You just can't do that with LAMP.

Attachments

• gc.mp3
    376 KB · Views: 103
The above ex from HZ01 - that works because the players played at the same dynamic, but as you can hear, not all the hits are exactly the same. You just can't do that with LAMP

That because LA lost a needed articulations in most of the presented drums. Especially you can hear this in Bass Drum and Taikos. The dynamic hits don't covering this fail. And this is the main problem of this library.

For fast, repeated sounds, workarounds can be used.

Don't know why the devs would release a cinematic drum lib without the requisite round robins tho. Kinda defying logic for me.

@Audio Ollie?

Hey Guys,

The concept behind LA Modern Percussion has always been to bring you a sound that is as close to what we hear in modern film score as possible. In many cases this involves a lot of layering and production to get to that end point, and keeping that in mind, we had to be very strategic about how to build the library and it's individual components.

The Dynamic Hits are extremely efficient when it comes to CPU usage. We wanted to be able to stack as many drums as desired, all with custom mic mixes and FX processing without blowing up our machines. If we were to create some of those multis using only traditional RR type patches, you'd run into problems pretty quickly.

The Dyn Hits are also advantageous in that they allow users to be extremely specific about sample selection. We've found that, especially in context, having a groove play back consistently every time ultimately yields better results than having a computer randomize that groove each time you play it back. When listening to a single drum in solo, yeah the brain likes to hear the variation you get from RR's, but in the context of a full arrangement, that starts to matter a lot less. Even by the time you layer two drum drums together from the dyn hits and mess with the randomization controls, you've already got more than enough variation.

Of course there will be particular cases where the Traditional Hits & Rolls will work better, which is why we still decided to capture a bunch of RR and Dynamics for the major ensemble groups, but in the big scheme of things, the Dyn Hits serve as better building blocks for this particular library.

I'd encourage folks to try and use all the patch types together. They were each designed to do a specific task particularly well, and when combined you can achieve extremely realistic, energetic and lively results.

Let me know if you have any questions or video requests. I'm all geared up to put out more content over the next 10 days so just let me know.

Ollie

why are fast reps an issue? that's at least 3-4 dynamic layers to work with - and if you're trying to draw in repetitions at the same velocity then you should probably work on percussion programming

I think 2 reps per dynamic player would have been better than nothing, but in general if your percussion is slamming the same dynamic then your percussion isn't doing its job, it's not accenting the other sections and it's certainly not creating a groove - so what is the point of percussion at that point?

@Ollie maybe an rr like script could be implemented? @Aaron venture seems to have a decent method working with his infinite series

why are fast reps an issue? that's at least 3-4 dynamic layers to work with - and if you're trying to draw in repetitions at the same velocity then you should probably work on percussion programming

I think 2 reps per dynamic player would have been better than nothing, but in general if your percussion is slamming the same dynamic then your percussion isn't doing its job, it's not accenting the other sections and it's certainly not creating a groove - so what is the point of percussion at that point?

@Ollie maybe an rr like script could be implemented? @Aaron venture seems to have a decent method working with his infinite series

Great points! I'll take a look into the scripted RR. Thanks!

Why you need this ? You can't test this lib by yourself ?
absolutely!... you mind if i borrow some money?

and just to be clear i don't "need" anybody's review on anything - i happen to value what a talented and working composer like Daniel thinks about anything they can use to produce music and make a living from it. Even if i own the library, i will still watch a review on it...

absolutely!... you mind if i borrow some money?

and just to be clear i don't "need" anybody's review on anything - i happen to value what a talented and working composer like Daniel thinks about anything they can use to produce music and make a living from it. Even if i own the library, i will still watch a review on it...
Me too. I own this library but i WILL watch DJ's review because he is soooo gooood and talented and he can show us some things we haven't seen or realized.....

Don't those germs know it's not flu and cold season? Tell them to take some time off, like other viruses.

Best,

Geoff

1WeekLeft.jpeg

There's only 1 week left to purchase LA Modern Percussion for $349!

https://www.audioollie.com/lamodernpercussion

The attitude and responses of @Audio Ollie are starting to piss me off.

How often do you get the opportunity to sample drums with Alan Meyerson at Warner Brother's Studios? Why not do it perfectly?

On top of that, you charge a heavy premium for what is in my opinion an incomplete library.

My request is that the lib be re-done with the requisite RRs, snares and at least 1-2 more options for hi perc.

@Audio Ollie This is a very small and technical thing, but in the future if you do numbered NKIs could you do them 01, 02, 03 instead of 1, 2, 3? That way when using the arrow-browser in Kontakt the next NKI after 01 is 02. Right now the browser goes 1, 10, 11, 12.... 19, 2, 20, 21.... ;)

Again... it's a really small thing! Looking forward to more news about your orchestral libraries!

The attitude and responses of @Audio Ollie are starting to piss me off.

How often do you get the opportunity to sample drums with Alan Meyerson at Warner Brother's Studios? Why not do it perfectly?

On top of that, you charge a heavy premium for what is in my opinion an incomplete library.

My request is that the lib be re-done with the requisite RRs, snares and at least 1-2 more options for hi perc.

I mean, the patch list, as well as video walk through explicitly stating there were no RR, but instead more dynamic layers was available... The choice to do it this way sounds like it might very well have came out of Alan's own mouth, referencing the headache of mixing something with inconsistent hits. Infact I know damn well with live recordings even - performances are often times copy + pasted. have a massive flam hit at the start of the measure? copy the stronger hit and paste it over the others... This is quite common. When you hear triple platinum pop productions - you're literally listening to the same hook pieced together from all the best takes. Even if it repeats 20 times in the song, there is no "round robin". Drums in particular for decades and decades were often times samples with 0 round robin. Often layered over real drums arguably, but still. There are plenty of demos on the website, all of which sound exquisite - So ask yourself what you're doing differently, or why you're going to buy a product that gave you every piece of information you don't like about it before you bought it.

I get buyers remorse is an issue - but not having RR or snares was NOT something that's a surprise... it's mentioned directly in the walkthrough, with an explaination of why they made that choice. It's not like they swept it under the rug and hoped to trick you into buying it... So why get outraged?

If I had sold any of my libraries I have listed in classifieds I'd probably have picked this up(even though I don't need it at all) just because it's sonically impressive.

Top Bottom