What's new

LA Modern Percussion - The update is finally here!

Hy.... discovering... discovering...such a deep library..LOVE stacking percs and modifying velocity sesnsitivity. Playing with the modulations gives Fantastic possibilities. Congratulations for this release Audio Ollie and team.
Thanks so much.

Last edited:
Hey Oliver & Jasper,

really liking everything about LAMP so far.

But I think it would be helpful if you created a Mix Preset called “Default Stereo Mix” that unloads all EQs and compressors along with soloing the stereo-mix mic.

Here is what I'm observing with the script behavior -

1. When a Mix Preset is selected, various EQs/compressors/etc will be activated on the submix busses as well as the stereo bus (visible on the Effects page).
2. If you try to go back to the standard stereo mix, there is no standard mix preset in the Mix Presets menu.
3. If you try to go back to the standard stereo mix by selecting the stereo mix mic, the other submix mics will purge but effects will still remain active on all busses, including the stereo bus.

I suspect this is why people are experiencing excessive unintended hiss. If you listen to a lot of the more bass and room heavy instruments like the bass drum ensemble, the mix presets have somewhat more hiss than the standard mix. If you go from any Close/Mid/Room type Mix Preset back to soloing the stereo mic mix you are NOT hearing the out of the box stereo mic mix but rather one with an EQ applied that among other things applies +3dB (shelf?) at 7.5k.

Again this could be easily solved by creating a Default mix preset :)

Try pausing and un-pausing in the Connect app. I usually get 80mbits but here and there it will slow down to 5mbits - but doing the pause/un-pause thing usually kicks it in the teeth and it gets faster.

I actually try to avoid Connect, because it really hogs my machine. I usually get manual links and download directly to my NAS.

A free, freely accessible session would be greatly appreciated.

Due to his extremely busy schedule this will probably be impossible, but hey I'll ask!
Hey Oliver & Jasper,

really liking everything about LAMP so far.

But I think it would be helpful if you created a Mix Preset called “Default Stereo Mix” that unloads all EQs and compressors along with soloing the stereo-mix mic.

Here is what I'm observing with the script behavior -

1. When a Mix Preset is selected, various EQs/compressors/etc will be activated on the submix busses as well as the stereo bus (visible on the Effects page).
2. If you try to go back to the standard stereo mix, there is no standard mix preset in the Mix Presets menu.
3. If you try to go back to the standard stereo mix by selecting the stereo mix mic, the other submix mics will purge but effects will still remain active on all busses, including the stereo bus.

I suspect this is why people are experiencing excessive unintended hiss. If you listen to a lot of the more bass and room heavy instruments like the bass drum ensemble, the mix presets have somewhat more hiss than the standard mix. If you go from any Close/Mid/Room type Mix Preset back to soloing the stereo mic mix you are NOT hearing the out of the box stereo mic mix but rather one with an EQ applied that among other things applies +3dB (shelf?) at 7.5k.

Again this could be easily solved by creating a Default mix preset :)

Great idea! I'll make it sometime this week along with a few other technical focused presets.

Ollie,

The multis are amazing! A huge amount of variance in tone and style. The sound design aspect is 'beyond the pale'. I look forward to the upcoming Artist Multi Sets that you mentioned toward the end of one of your vids.

I'm sure the great basic sound quality of all the drum mics helped make this possible. You did so much work on the basic material - and it came off well.

Just coming up with the idea of using Alan Meyerson as the recordist - and then actually getting him to buy into it... well, good goin'.

Ok, fine @Audio Ollie take my money! This is too hard to resist! I hope you are happy!

In a more serious note, honestly, I never purchased a library so soon after it came out!

The intro price, -considering there are 2 companies involved and Alan Meyerson- is just perfect! Excellent sound, excellent marketing and excellent price!

@Audio Ollie you set an example I hope a lot more will follow! Kudos! :)

Has anyone had chance to compare this to the AM mixes in HZPro? Obviously its a different room/drums etc so will undoubtedly sound very different

Happy LAMP owner here. It really is a game-changing percussion library. Sound is everything. And LAMP has it.

Like a lot of people, I own several percussion libraries. This one is sonically the deepest and most forcefully impactful. The basic patches have a huge amount of options to adapt the sound to whatever you want - the 14 mic combinations and the ability to route them variously to all sorts of FX and modulation - right within the Kontakt instance. You can save that change as a Kontakt instrument and you always have it available. It's totally cool in the Ensemble patches that various mics are most centered around differing drums. For example, in the Taiko Ensemble you can focus on one (or more) drum(s) and work with that isolated instrument. Then decide later if you want to add more drums to your sound for that section of music.

For quick and easy, simply clicking on the presets and choosing the factory presets of Close, MID and Room - each with 4 different levels of dynamics processing on them. You might never really need to go any farther.

As I've said earlier, the current list of multis is very large and has an extremely wide stylistic range. Don't forget to check out the Alts & Roughs disclosure arrow at the bottom of the Multis list. There's just as much material in there as the Multi list itself.

Do I have any issues with it? Well, yes...

- I want more instruments done with the same quality of treatment. Will there be a LAMP2? I can't wait to see snare, timpani, gongs and metals with the same forceful, deep impact.

- I'd also like to see somewhere on the GUI which preset I've chosen. NoamL mentioned this, too.

- I wouldn't mind seeing dedicated keyswitches with short programmed MIDI phrases. We see these in differing styles within libraries like LADD, Evolution Series World Percussion and Master Sessions Ensemble Drums, etc. Just a little something to spark creativity and get a cue going quickly.

Hopefully we'll see some more vids from Ollie. He goes into great detail. Very conversational. His vids remind me of the early walkthroughs of Paul at Spitfire. I appreciated those a lot.

Happy LAMP owner here. It really is a game-changing percussion library. Sound is everything. And LAMP has it.

Like a lot of people, I own several percussion libraries. This one is sonically the deepest and most forcefully impactful. The basic patches have a huge amount of options to adapt the sound to whatever you want - the 14 mic combinations and the ability to route them variously to all sorts of FX and modulation - right within the Kontakt instance. You can save that change as a Kontakt instrument and you always have it available. It's totally cool in the Ensemble patches that various mics are most centered around differing drums. For example, in the Taiko Ensemble you can focus on one (or more) drum(s) and work with that isolated instrument. Then decide later if you want to add more drums to your sound for that section of music.

For quick and easy, simply clicking on the presets and choosing the factory presets of Close, MID and Room - each with 4 different levels of dynamics processing on them. You might never really need to go any farther.

As I've said earlier, the current list of multis is very large and has an extremely wide stylistic range. Don't forget to check out the Alts & Roughs disclosure arrow at the bottom of the Multis list. There's just as much material in there as the Multi list itself.

Do I have any issues with it? Well, yes...

- I want more instruments done with the same quality of treatment. Will there be a LAMP2? I can't wait to see snare, timpani, gongs and metals with the same forceful, deep impact.

- I'd also like to see somewhere on the GUI which preset I've chosen. NoamL mentioned this, too.

- I wouldn't mind seeing dedicated keyswitches with short programmed MIDI phrases. We see these in differing styles within libraries like LADD, Evolution Series World Percussion and Master Sessions Ensemble Drums, etc. Just a little something to spark creativity and get a cue going quickly.

Hopefully we'll see some more vids from Ollie. He goes into great detail. Very conversational. His vids remind me of the early walkthroughs of Paul at Spitfire. I appreciated those a lot.

Toontrack have already made an Orchestral SDX where are the most realistic timpani, snares and gongs on the market. Have you check it ?

Own it.

Snares are OK - definitely the best part of the library. Not impressed with the rest of it. And I like SD3 a lot. Honestly I haven't felt impelled to use it after the initial purchase. I really was looking forward to the release of this for several months. A bit shocked by the end product.

I like the snares in Berlin Percussion, too. They have a ton of different snares in that library.

Own it.

Snares are OK - definitely the best part of the library. Not impressed with the rest of it. And I like SD3 a lot. Honestly I haven't felt impelled to use it after the initial purchase. I really was looking forward to the release of this for several months. A bit shocked by the end product.

I like the snares in Berlin Percussion, too. They have a ton of different snares in that library.

Toontrack's Orchestral SDX is sounding more realistic than most of the top percussion libraries. And that's why it is special.

Toontrack's Orchestral SDX is sounding more realistic than most of the top percussion libraries. And that's why it is special.

You are new here and thanks for taking part in the forum. You will find few people who will agree with you on SDX's orchestral percussion library. SDX though in general is universally loved, happy user here too.

Top Bottom