What's new

Anime Music

Kent

sleepy member
::EDIT::

This thread was originally called Late 90s Anime Music, but since it has been expanded in scope I've retitled the thread to merely Anime Music per @EvilDragon's suggestion. Enjoy!

----

I love this era of anime scores. Some particular favorite shows/OSTs:

Hunter x Hunter (1999)

Pokémon Indigo League

These have such an atmosphere and vibe that I haven't found in quite a while - for example, HxH (2011) and more modern Pokémon seasons have some truly amazing music, but not nearly as "vibey," you know?

What are some of your favorites?

Last edited:
Nice picks! I've spent more time listening to 2010s-era soundtracks, but here are a couple that have really stuck with me from late-90s anime:

Shiro Sagisu - Expansion of Blockade, from End of Evangelion (1997)

Shinkichi Mitsumune - Shi no Aphrodite, from Revolutionary Girl Utena (1997)

Yoko Kanno - Space Lion, from Cowboy Bebop (1998)

(sorry long post)
i like japanese composer, they made really good music such as joe hisaishi, michiru oshima, yoko kanno, yuki kajiura, yuji nomi and many more.

i also found many hidden gem from unknown composer/ underrated like

90s

00s

yoko kanno

unknown

tenmon (makoto shinkai movie)

michiru oshima(full metal alchemist)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwzAEwzUI8k

ko-ko-ya ( orchestra band (?)) (ristorante paradiso)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-JnwhhFv4c

unknown (summer wars)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCZOo4WdygE

Now this is a cool thread!

Me and family are huge Anime junkies! We absolutely love HunterXHunter, in fact one of our demos for Arkeon features HXH. (inspired by its calmer moments)

We really love most of the shows and composers mentioned here.

I will suggest a few names and titles to check out:

Kunihiko Ryo: The Twelve Kingdoms (Absolute masterpiece this one, his use of traditional Chinese instruments is brilliant)

Opening Theme:

Piano Memories:

Noriyuki Asakura: Rurouni Kenshin (Some beautiful Gut Guitar parts in here)

I woke up to this one for years:

(I'll post more + videos soon)

What are you guys watching these days? I'd love to discover something cool.

Here's one I saw a few months ago: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? (Crazy Title!)

Last edited:
Yuki Kajiura is fantastic, the Madoka soundtrack is an all-time favorite of mine. I keep a playlist of a bunch of her soundtracks on shuffle for frequent listening in the car.

Decretum (Puella Magi Madoka Magica, 2011)

Symposium Magarum (Puella Magi Madoka Magica, 2011)

Absolute Configuration (PMMM: Rebellion, 2013)

Espionage Trap (Princess Principal, 2017)

(We are admittedly getting pretty far away from the "90s anime music" premise of the thread, as nice as it is to see some Kajiura love on VI-C.)

You post all that and not the ending theme which is IMHO the best (Magia). Ehehe. :)

Also I would like to tune you guys and girls in to a relatively new composer who did an absolutely freaking spectacular work for Re:Zero soundtrack: Suehiro Kenichiro. Lots of Morricone influences here, and for once violas take the spotlight!

(Also do NOT read YT comments if you plan to watch it, spoilers etc. All I can say is that this 7 minute piece is played in full in the episode it is featured, which is quite a rarity in anime productions. It is THAT impactful, and with the actual scenes it creates probably the best anime moments I've had in a long long while.)

((And sorry, this is not 90s anime music, but I couldn't contain myself!))

Last edited:
This isn't really what you asked for, but I couldn't help but think about it anyway. Somehow I've never been able to get over the soundtrack to BubbleGum Crisis.

Not the style you asked for but when talking 90s anime , the obvious one:

maybe not so popular since this wasn’t on the us version, I heard...:

digimon seasons 1-4 had a really nice orchestral, old fashioned , almost 70s -like sounding ost at some point. I have a guilty pleasure for that :D

Not the style you asked for but when talking 90s anime , the obvious one:

maybe not so popular since this wasn’t on the us version, I heard...:

digimon seasons 1-4 had a really nice orchestral, old fashioned , almost 70s -like sounding ost at some point. I have a guilty pleasure for that :D

You know, I loved Digimon as a tween, but it just does not hold up to me now.

However, this music ROCKS. Your comments are spot-on. I wonder if my status as an American has anything to do with the fact that I do NOT remember this... hmm

However, this music ROCKS. Your comments are spot-on. I wonder if my status as an American has anything to do with the fact that I do NOT remember this... hmm

As I said, I think the US/ENG versions of Digimon did not include the japanese soundtrack, the same goes for the opening songs. And the same goes for all the other digimon-esque series like yu gi oh and other.

But it's an interesting topic, it seemed that the original music must have felt too weird for the western publishers, so that they completely replaced it?!...

Not classic, but destined to become one

Bat Shit crazy beautiful story and the insane music that goes with it.
Really, it's only 11 episodes, go binge watch it, your life will never be the same.

But I love the music in Samurai 7.
And Record of Lodoss War

Top Bottom