What's new

Andante moderato in the classical style for bassoon and orchestra

muk

Hi everyone,

Here is a piece for bassoon and orchestra in the classical style that I just finished. I guess it's not a fashionable kind of music on these boards. I hope some of you will listen give feedback all the same.

New mix v3 (some eq on the bassoon to reduce boxyness):

https://app.box.com/s/ordyilcvbpofh0r94wng40zct11z0k2a

Any comments on the composition and/or the mockup are highly appreciated. Thanks for listening.

First version:

https://app.box.com/s/2t5n8qqthmjk8icjeqqzmdy2a7y65pcr

Mix v2:
https://app.box.com/s/649o2y68uagytebcrq7x4z2bzay12557

Last edited:
I really liked it! If I had to pick one thing, I would say maybe bring back the winds a couple times. Obviously they're (primarily the bassoon) the lead instruments for the song, but I still think you could bring them back just a bit without losing their lead sound. Just a levels thing. I'm by no means a mix/mastering master tho. Really well done!

Reactions: muk
I guess it's not a fashionable kind of music on these boards.

True. I'm thankful when people post music like this, especially when they're well-versed in it like you obviously are. Nice composing, performing and programming.

Now for some small criticism :) Can you describe the harmony at 2:09? It really threw me for a loop. Also, I really like the soft sweet ending following the cadenza but I thought the octaves just before the final chord distracted from that mood. Maybe it was just too loud? Not sure.

Those are small nitpicks. Overall, great work and a pleasure to listen to.

Wonderful...nice textures, harmony, melody.. sounds quite "Mozartian". My only comment is that the bassoon (on my speakers) sounds a bit "thick", maybe look for a honky freq in the low mids and cut a bit..I can also hear a French Horn playing the bassoon part (transposed). I think people here like classical music, no?

Beautiful sound and music! Closest sound to a chamber sized orchestra I heard in sample world!
For my taste the bassoon is a bit too close to the listener. I know it's the solo part but I think it could match better with the strings with a little less volume. But it's just a question of taste.

Thank you all for your kind comments!

@sIR dORT Thanks for the hint about attenuating the woodwinds in the mix. I'll try that.

@tehreal The harmony at 2:09 is basically a dominant seventh chord suspensions over a tonic pedal. It's the tonic d in the bass, and over it a dominant seventh chord (e-g-c sharp) resolving into the tonic (f sharp, a, d).
And thanks for the heads up with the unisono in the second last chord. I agree that it sounds somewhat unconnected and aprubt. I'll experiment and see if I can come up with a more convincing solution.

@YaniDee Very good idea about eqing the bassoon. I've kept the processing fairly minimal. But I agree that it would benefit from some careful eqing. Another point added to my to-do list for this mockup.

@Saxer thanks a lot! You are absolutely right about the bassoon being too close, and your suggestion is in line with what sIR dORT suggested as well. I'll move the bassoon back a little further into the room to make it blend better.

Nicely done pastiche Muk. I agree with the guys above about the closeness of the bassoon and would actually prefer the whole to be just a tad wetter, but that is subjective of course. Apart from that, you've pressed all the classical buttons regarding technique and form and there is as a result, a refined and admirably restrained graciousness about it.

Thank you @mikeh-375. That's very helpful and very kind. The closeness of the bassoon is the first thing I am going to correct. I had a bit of reverb on the mixbus at first, but in the end liked it better without it. I will re-examine that decision. If I can find a really transparent reverb I'll probably prefer just a touch more myself.

The track make a big smile on my face and I take my hat of and have a lot of appreciation in times where this well and thoughfully crafted music is so rare.

I thank you a lot for letting me listen to the piece and I have saved it (if that is ok).

best wishes and keep up the great spirit in you and your work.

Alex

Lovely piece, young Mozart/Haydnesque in style, but a bit more fragmented than one of their movements: it's almost as if you tried to put several into one, but then again, it also sounds like a "variations" movement. It's a good combination of grace and surprise.

Very believable rendering, BTW.

Thanks a lot for your kind words @AlexanderSchiborr! I'm glad you liked it. I always like your mockups a lot, so it means a lot. Of course it's ok for you to save the piece, no problem.

Thanks @TGV The form is slightly complex, but I kept to the classical idiom. It's a type 1 sonata form in Hepokoski's/Darcy's typology. Basically it is a sonata form without a development section, sometimes called a slow movement sonata form. At least that was my intention behind it. And thanks, glad you like the mockup.

Thanks @calebfaith too. Taking all the feedback into account I have made a new version of the mockup. The bassoon is pushed further back and should blend better with the orchestra. The woodwinds are a little quieter, and there is just a touch more reverb:

https://app.box.com/s/649o2y68uagytebcrq7x4z2bzay12557

A surprise to be sure. Wonderful piece! Appart from the great writing it sounds very realistic, with plenty of subtlety and detail, which helps it to be a very easy listen.

I find the bassoon "boxy" sounding. I listened to the second take only. I wonder if it could be tweaked more in terms or reverb or EQ.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I appreciate it, and it means a lot.

@markleake I agree about the boxy sound quality of the bassoon. Thank you for the tipp. I've experimented a little with eq, and found something that I like better. It's uploaded as v3.

Top Bottom