What's new

An open letter to our VI-C friends

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! We're glad to be back here.

This is our changelog for the upcoming JBell update:

NEW FEATURES
Portamento Speed Control: Change the speed of Portamento samples in real-time based on user-selected control input via the Control Preset editor. See Settings page for new controls.
Legato Accent: New Control element for playing accented legatos.
Portamento Override: New Intuition automation for automatically triggering Portamento samples during slower playing.
Rebow: New Control element for instantly re-bowing during a held sustain.
Mono mode: New option in the Settings page for switching between stereo/mono mics.

UPDATES
– Increased starting instrument volume to 0db.
– Improved "Pitch Instability" Intuition engine.
– Short (Ricochet, Spic, Stac, Pizz) control elements now have "Quick Release" and "Instant" trigger options in the Control Preset editor.
– "Instant" control behavior modifier option added to "Rebow" and "Rebow Emo" Control Preset elements.
– Improved "Quick Release" control trigger options.
– Vibrato slider now reflects "Vib Variance" Intuition automation movement.
– Some graphics updated to improve visibility against darker backgrounds.
– Included "attention" button on Intuition page for extra clarification.
– Improved Control Preset triggering within certain articulation "groups" for better expected Control results.
– Improved Sul Pont releases.

BUGS
– Fixed Legato Volume Awareness engine (this ensures smooth crossfading between samples) from breaking upon loading Snapshots.
– Fixed bad timings + greatly improved consistency of Portamento sample playback.
– Fixed various bad samples.
– Fixed Reverb preset buttons from not working.
– Fixed a graphical bug that caused label bg's to display incorrectly.
– "Poly" button setting now persists across Control Preset changes.
– Fixed "Contour/Cresc/Decresc" Instant trigger behavior.
– Multistops now correctly trigger all notes of a given chord as Vib or NonVib depending on the "Vib/NonVib Variance" Intuition.
Can you please list the updates for the Walker as well? Thank you :)

Update downloaded perfectly. Easy straight forward process. Happen to be using JB just as a writing instrument in a celtic jig style piece at the moment . Loaded up the update. Phew. Just works without tweaking anything. Nice.
Keep em coming Embers. Love your work.

Update downloaded perfectly. Easy straight forward process. Happen to be using JB just as a writing instrument in a celtic jig style piece at the moment . Loaded up the update. Phew. Just works without tweaking anything. Nice.
Keep em coming Embers. Love your work.
Yeah, I was impressed today by the update process too. Not only is it as easy and straightforward as imaginable, but it also keeps the 1.0 version perfectly intact, so you can update without any fear whatsoever of breaking anything.

Can you please list the updates for the Walker as well? Thank you :)

The major items:
(1) Half Pedalling Functionality
(a) ECO MODE - The damper is gradually lifted based on pedal CC data coming in​
(b) HQ MODE - Same as ECO mode, with the addition of​
- a new set of Sustain Resonance Sample Set that is laid on top of the "no pedal" or "dry" sample set, mimicking the sound of a true sustain. In other words, if you play a "no pedal" sample and then apply the sustain pedal, you aren't just hearing that sample continued, you get some realistic resonance!​
- a more realistic pedal release resonance group of sample​
(c) HQ+ MODE - Same as HQ mode, but with a more detailed (and resource intensive) set of release samples​
(2) Improved Performance - We identified a few problems with the pedal, and also, now the MULTI works as expected.
(3) Tons of sample fixes. Noisy and incongruent samples have been removed, the velocity response is even smoother than before.

The major items:
- a new set of Sustain Resonance Sample Set that is laid on top of the "no pedal" or "dry" sample set, mimicking the sound of a true sustain. In other words, if you play a "no pedal" sample and then apply the sustain pedal, you aren't just hearing that sample continued, you get some realistic resonance!​
(c) HQ+ MODE - Same as HQ mode, but with a more detailed (and resource intensive) set of release samples​
(2) Improved Performance - We identified a few problems with the pedal, and also, now the MULTI works as expected.
(3) Tons of sample fixes. Noisy and incongruent samples have been removed, the velocity response is even smoother than before.
Wow that’s awesome. I love the piano before but now it’s gonna be amazing. When can we expect this?

I hope with this update the bug "note sound drop off effect" when playing the pedal is gone! :)

The major items:
[/QUOTE

@Embertone : sorry if I missed it, will these updates apply to both the Walker Full and Walker Lite?

Thanks

I installed the JB update, and printed out the manual.
I don't see reference to the new "accented legato".
Am I missing something?

@Embertone : sorry if I missed it, will these updates apply to both the Walker Full and Walker Lite?

Thanks

Walker LITE will receive all the relevant bug fixes and updates... but no half pedaling for LITE users.

I installed the JB update, and printed out the manual.
I don't see reference to the new "accented legato".
Am I missing something?

We are updating the manual as soon as we can to reflect this. Also, we want to add more detail about many of the elements in that user control area that are not described well (or in some cases, not described at all!)

In the meantime, Accented Legato is found in the User Control Area. In the "Control" Page, click on the right side to open up the custom control editor. You'll see "Accented Legato" as one of the elements. It can be assigned to Velocity, Keyswitch, Speed, Pitch Bend, or CC. You'll notice a nice accent when you bring the values up -- we think it's a great addition to this instrument :)

Thanks!

-Alex

Happy to hear you guys are back. Could you drop us a note a little earlier next time? We love you long time and were worried!

I'm looking forward to the Blakus and Friedlander updates as well as, and most importantly, the Walker update. Might be a good occasion to upgrade my Lite. If you do a BF sale on Joshua Bell, might be in on that as well. Cheers!

Happy to hear you guys are back. Could you drop us a note a little earlier next time? We love you long time and were worried!

Yup. That's fair! Appreciate that :)

I'm looking forward to the Blakus and Friedlander updates as well as, and most importantly, the Walker update. Might be a good occasion to upgrade my Lite. If you do a BF sale on Joshua Bell, might be in on that as well. Cheers!

Cool. Walker update has turned into quite a project... We believe we have the bugs squashed. All you owners will be hearing from us soon!

-Alex

Hey Alex

Do you know when the Walker Piano update will be released yet ? Is it potentially this week ?

Love all the instruments of yours that I own, which is quite a few. Use them every day...Cheers

Dear VI Control Users,

We’re writing this especially for you all because we’ve lost touch over the last year. After all, VI-Control is where we got our start more than 6 years(!!) ago, and we have clearly dropped the ball of late due to a few personal life things. We want to be open about what’s been going on, and offer a real road map for our major updates moving forward!

After a slow year for our tiny team, development has picked up and we are just about ready to release updates for our Joshua Bell Violin and the much needed Half-Pedalling and Reactive Pedal Resonance features for our Walker 1955 Concert D piano. We know this has been a long time coming, and we are extremely sorry for the inexcusable lag.

• The above updates are coming within 2-3 weeks

The next update project that we will work tirelessly on is for our line of solo strings: Intimate Strings (Blakus Cello, Friedlander Violin, Fischer Viola, Leonid Bass). In some cases there will be new samples, and our goal will be to bring them all up so that the feature sets are more equal. (Right now Blakus is lagging behind the others).

• We’re hesitant to put a timeline on this. Stand by for details

We also plan to refresh many of our older instruments with some much-needed bug fixes and some exciting new features. All current users will receive all of these updates for free.

• This above stuff will roll out gradually over the next year

And finally looking toward the future, we have a handful of insanely exciting projects going on. Things might have slowed down of late, but we want to assure everyone that our doors are still open, we’re still making things, and we still love you all.

• We hope to release 1 or 2 of these before the end of the year

Again, we’re sorry for the lag, and we will watch this thread for any feedback, questions, ideas, complaints, or just general comments. And as always, thank you all for your patience and support.

Alex and Jonathan of Embertone
Thanks for the update. If I buy Blakus now, will I recieve a discount when the new version comes out?

Top Bottom