What's new

An "epiphany" moment

robh

I started learning EIS back in November, 2010. A couple weeks ago I was working on the assignments for Book 2, Lesson 7: Natural 7th Chords - Major. Throughout the course, my teacher would encourage me to make music out of the excercises, and so I would put a little more effort in a few of them to be creative. At this lesson, I decided to write something based on the lesson but allow myself to break with the strict progressions we've so far had to deal with - let the creativity and feeling out.

So here is a little Piano Etude I wrote which I am pleased with, loosely based on E4 descending:

https://www.box.net/shared/fxqygprrfx

The "epiphany" came when I realized I would have never written something like it before doing the course. It wouldn't have ever crossed my mind. So, already I'm seeing the benefits to this course - and I still have along way to go!

Rob

Hey Rob, sounds nice.

Your epiphany is the part of the course that I call ear training. By doing exercises that are not connected to "musicality," your ears are able to hear a new, "musicality."

Yes, please always make it musical. EIS frees you so, that it is easy to be unmusical while being "correct." Practice using it musically, as you have here. its tempting to make outrageously cool stuff that sometime doesn't really sound that good to people's ears.

That´s a nice attempt Rob. EIS keeps us writing and discovering new ways to write music, and it´s not only this, but it makes us understand musics by other composers no matter in what style they´ve been written. Keep it up!!!

Top Bottom