What's new

Amp Simulators for Virtual Guitars

There are some good amp softwares out there. I am still mostly using either my Axe Fx 1 (have it like 10 years almost) or my Kemper with my custom profiles which somehow gives me more what I am looking for when it comes to meaty metal sounds.

Last edited:
If you like the way it sounds in a mix, just keep doing what you're doing. There's so many skills we need to learn as composers, sometimes it's better to just focus on learning to do your most important tasks well, and accept passable elsewhere.
From what you have I'd recommend using Guitar Rig for effects pedals, and Kazrog for amps and cabs.

Going to try this approach and compare with what I'm currently doing. Should learn a bunch in the process. Many thanks !! :thumbsup:

Hah! Your screenie of studio one console looks just like what I have been doing lately, set up a bunch of sims, then click through to A-B and find the winner. Blow out your ears/monitors on feedback by turning a bunch of them on :)

Hah! Your screenie of studio one console looks just like what I have been doing lately, set up a bunch of sims, then click through to A-B and find the winner. Blow out your ears/monitors on feedback by turning a bunch of them on :)

these sims really jump alive when sent to 2 buses panned.

say what you will about Amplitube 4, but with some finessing in the Cab Room, it's still my go-to when starting a new track.

Ignite is killer too.

i've been trying to get the Poulen Soldano running, but it's not showing in Studio One for some reason.

Anyone get it to work?

the .dll files i have:

poulen_solo-c.JPG

TSE X50 is by far my favorite for metal!

Same here - I've tested pretty much all the countless alternatives out there but for distorted guitars the TSE X50 is by far the one that comes closest to the realism of the Kemper I once owned (but had to sold as I needed money and couldn't justify keeping it as I rarely recorded any guitars :) ) The TSE X50 has that creamy distortion that comes closest to a real amp mic'ed.

Marco

Same here - I've tested pretty much all the countless alternatives out there but for distorted guitars the TSE X50 is by far the one that comes closest to the realism of the Kemper I once owned (but had to sold as I needed money and couldn't justify keeping it as I rarely recorded any guitars :) ) The TSE X50 has that creamy distortion that comes closest to a real amp mic'ed.

Marco

forgot about that one!

say what you will about Amplitube 4

+1

I recently decided to stop the head-spinning about what's the best sim and decided to just work at being good at Amplitube 4 (although I will probably do the TH-U upgrade to keep pace). Most of my use is on sampled guitar (by choice, I can play but want to get good at programming vi) and I find the bigger challenge is the tone of the source (true with real guitar too). Second biggest challenge for me is space, getting the environment/depth right. In the end the amp is the genre part (again, for me).

just tried the TSE X50 demo.

yow!

easy buy!!!
sorry, I read "forgET that one" and you wrote "forgot that one" - so I thought you don't like the TSE X50 and would recommend something else instead :) Sorry for the confusion. Yes, the TSE is awesome. Everything else I've heard and tried so far sounds like the typical digital amp sim. Cold and artificial, harsh distortions. The TSE has that real amp feeling.

Thoughts on the IK Amplitude Fender collections? Quality?

Interested given the current deals that are on at the moment...

I'm still on TH2, got too many presets dialled in now.
But LePou stuff is probably the best, I'd have paid £££ for them considering the quality and ease of use.

Thoughts on the IK Amplitude Fender collections? Quality?

Interested given the current deals that are on at the moment...
I have Amplitube, but only ever use the SVX series for v-bass, which I think is really good. For faux guitars, I have settled on Scuffham S-Gear and Kazrog Recabinet 4.

Since then I'm done looking because there are simply too many out there...

I have Amplitube, but only ever use the SVX series for v-bass, which I think is really good. For faux guitars, I have settled on Scuffham S-Gear and Kazrog Recabinet 4.

Since then I'm done looking because there are simply too many out there...

agreed, i have settled into Neural DSP's Plini for the time being.

I get the impression that most of this discussion has centered on using amp sims with real, physical guitars. The OP asked about using sims with virtual instrument guitars, which would tend to interact differently than real instruments. Having read the entire thread, I didn’t see much of anything specific to that (although I got a lot of useful information about death metal dual guitars that may prove useful at some point).
If I’m wrong or missing important points from the discussion, please tell me. But, to the OP’s question, what are you finding particularly effective with VI guitars?

Top Bottom