What's new

Amp Simulators for Virtual Guitars

98bpm

I was working on a track using Electri6ity after finally setting it up to work the way I want it and decided to try using Guitar Rig 5 instead of the guilt in amp/cab. I discovered some of those amp sims made Electri6ity sound just awful while others weren't so bad. I then experimented with Cubase Amp Rack and had some moderate success, but not as fulfilling as I hoped.

Just curious of those out there using VST guitars like OTS Evolution series, Electri6ity, ISW guitars or Ample, etc.. What amp simulators do you use for your virtual guitars for clean and distorted guitar tones?

IMO the best amp simulators are actually the free ones.

Ignite's Emissary or LePou's Legion are freeware and have sounded better than any paid amp sim I've used.

Though I greatly prefer using real amps+cabs (and guitars), I haven't recorded electric guitar stuff in years now. So there might be something better out there by now.

I went for the Line 6 Helix Native plugin. Using it with ISW Shreddage 2 + IBZ + SRP guitars. Across the internet, seems Line6 Helix series has been well received, except for the cab IRs, and a lot of people say to load Ownhammer IRs instead. I personally am not experienced enough with guitar tones to worry about it.

Here are some examples of Shreddage 2 + Helix Native:
https://suonlabs.com/work-in-progress-guitar-example.mp3 (seek to 3:18 on this example)
https://suonlabs.com/1dJ9oQsD.mp3 (seek to 2:05 on this example)

Amplitube 4 and S-Gear are the two i use most.

Amplitube 4 Fender, Fender 2, and Mesa packs are excellent.

S-Gear is due for a major upgrade, soon.

For bass i use Amplitube 4's Ampeg packs as well as Overloud's Mark Studio and Brainworx Bassdude.

For cabinet simulation, Two Notes Wall of Sound and Redwirez Bigbox Collection are worth checking out.

I find using a DI like the Radial J48 into my Babyface Pro mic pre gives the best signal to drive these sims.

I also like to use the Klanghelm VUMT DLX meter set at -18dbf = 0vu to trim my signal before hitting the sim input.

Also add Shattered Glass Audio Ace - most sims focus on big tube amps, but Ace is great for that lower-gain, lower-wattage thing.

I'm a guitarist mainly using a Gibson 335 and Fender Strat and have found Amplitube 4 Fender Collection 1 & 2 as well as their Mesa Boogie Collection to be very good. Equal merits go to S-Gear for the clean to crunch sounds but higher gain seems to work better with the Amplitube 4 Mesa Boogie Collection. If your VST guitar of choice doesn't get you there with builtin amp simulators, one of these should do it.

I'm a guitarist mainly using a Gibson 335 and Fender Strat and have found Amplitube 4 Fender Collection 1 & 2 as well as their Mesa Boogie Collection to be very good. Equal merits go to S-Gear for the clean to crunch sounds but higher gain seems to work better with the Amplitube 4 Mesa Boogie Collection. If your VST guitar of choice doesn't get you there with builtin amp simulators, one of these should do it.
Nothing matches a Strat better than this. I love this amp.

Stealer-amp.jpg

Amplitube is one of the worst. Id suggest staying away from it.
The helix is great. The best up to this date. Pricey though

S-gear amps are nice but extremely dark, work fine if you have a bright source. Not an all-rounder.
Just fails to deliver modern tones in comparison to the axe/helix.

Fortin ampsims are also pretty good, but never tried them myself

I’m a guitarist as well and have tried them all. All are useable but it depends on what sound you are trying to ‘simulate’.

For Mesa gain, Lepou gets the closest for me (I play live through a Mesa). I personally cannot get Amplitube close. Brainwork also have a couple of Mesa sims which are pretty good for that sound.

Otherwise, I always turn to S-Gear, it is pretty good to be honest.

Having said all that, Kemper would appear to be the way forward, but expensive.

Haha ask guitarists about tones.. I think you will find that it is highly mix dependent what will sound good, because perception of tone is relative to the frequencies already present in what you hear (context).

I dont use ampsims anymore, but still use the cab ir's. And in fact Amplitube's cabs are pretty good and measure up with third party ir's, imo.

I would think the new Waves PRS sims are pretty good for heavy tones. You can also try mix and match amps with different cabs, as cabinets makes a big difference in the sound.

Like try an amp from Electri6ity, mute the cab, and use a cab from Guitar Rig. Try different combinations like that, and you may find a tone that works.

Amplitube is one of the worst. Id suggest staying away from it.
The helix is great. The best up to this date. Pricey though

S-gear amps are nice but extremely dark, work fine if you have a bright source. Not an all-rounder.
Just fails to deliver modern tones in comparison to the axe/helix.

Fortin ampsims are also pretty good, but never tried them myself

Odd and humorous.

Like try an amp from Electri6ity, mute the cab, and use a cab from Guitar Rig. Try different combinations like that, and you may find a tone that works.
I hadn’t considered mixing amps and cab that way. I’ll have to give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Which of the free (or guitar rig) ones is best suited for black metal? So far I'm using Emissary.

For the truest, kvlt black metal, just like Mayhem used to make: You should ideally run a metalzone guitar pedal through the cheapest combo amp you can find, with the gain maxed out on both amp and pedal, absolutely no midrange, and record it all via a Fisher Price brand tape recorder.

81qIOJ2UcQL._SX425_.jpg

Top Bottom