What's new

Amp Simulators for Virtual Guitars

burp182

I get the impression that most of this discussion has centered on using amp sims with real, physical guitars. The OP asked about using sims with virtual instrument guitars, which would tend to interact differently than real instruments. Having read the entire thread, I didn’t see much of anything specific to that (although I got a lot of useful information about death metal dual guitars that may prove useful at some point).
If I’m wrong or missing important points from the discussion, please tell me. But, to the OP’s question, what are you finding particularly effective with VI guitars?

Zoot_Rollo

Throbbing Member
I get the impression that most of this discussion has centered on using amp sims with real, physical guitars. The OP asked about using sims with virtual instrument guitars, which would tend to interact differently than real instruments. Having read the entire thread, I didn’t see much of anything specific to that (although I got a lot of useful information about death metal dual guitars that may prove useful at some point).
If I’m wrong or missing important points from the discussion, please tell me. But, to the OP’s question, what are you finding particularly effective with VI guitars?
ahhh, sorry, i missed that part of the thread.

i don't use VI guitars, but i would think some of the SIMs listed would work equally well.

but, i'll stop posting.

James H

01001000 01101001
what are you using for Cabs?
Usually load the IR's "s-preshigh" and "ASEM RECTO V30 L2". Think they've been around for years but I still love them.

Edit: I'm using Shreddage 2 for VI guitars these days. Just seemed the easiest from the bunch, great sound. Not jumped to Shreddage 3 yet

burp182

Zoot, please don’t! I think you’re a great source for information and opinions. Most any thread is more valuable with your involvement. And anyone who references the good Captain in their handle is my kind of guy...

oks2024

I tested "Plini Archetype" by NeuralDSP recently, and I was super impressed.
It sounds awesome, it's a super complete package in a really easy to use interface. There is 3 amps (clean, crunch/distortion and lead), drive, noise gate and compression pedal in front of the amp, delay and reverb after, and nice multi-band eq. And there is also tons of settings to tweak in the cabinet simulation window.

I used the 14 days trial, and it seems to cover all the type of sounds I would want, from cleans to heavy distortions, with good effects.

Now I'm going to test their NTS Suite plugin, I also heard a lot of good things about this one. I guess it's less versatile, but as I mainly use my guitars for metal it might be better for me.

Zoot_Rollo

Throbbing Member
I tested "Plini Archetype" by NeuralDSP recently, and I was super impressed.
It sounds awesome, it's a super complete package in a really easy to use interface. There is 3 amps (clean, crunch/distortion and lead), drive, noise gate and compression pedal in front of the amp, delay and reverb after, and nice multi-band eq. And there is also tons of settings to tweak in the cabinet simulation window.

I used the 14 days trial, and it seems to cover all the type of sounds I would want, from cleans to heavy distortions, with good effects.

Now I'm going to test their NTS Suite plugin, I also heard a lot of good things about this one. I guess it's less versatile, but as I mainly use my guitars for metal it might be better for me.

i love the Plini - it really is a great all around package - pedals, amps, cabs, graphic EQ, delay, and reverb.

stereo.

great cleans and fusionesque crunch/drive which speaks to me.

Plini and the high output pups in my Tele (BK Piledrivers) and in my Strat (Dimebucker-bridge) are great matches.

sostenuto

Big NKS Fan !
Lightweight User (pianist /keyboardist) here, and use everything (VI) Orange Tree Samples has offered; also some from NI_K11U. Have all of Kazrog LLC Thermionik and Recabinet.
No issues whatsoever with Kazrog amp sims, but lack of guitarist chops takes me to Greg's OTS Presets most of the time.

Last edited:

karelpsota

http://karelpsota.com/
Shreddage 2 is great. There's a free demo version of Shreddage 3 too :)

To me, a guitar sound is only as good as how it sounds in context.
When I see all those solo demoes... I roll my eyes.
I usually remake the best sounding songs, to check my plugins.

Here's Korn - Word Up with Shreaddage and Waves.
A big part of the sound is EQ though! There are some huge dips in there.
Then IR and pedals are really key. And then the amp... blabla.

Also, the bass sound is 50% of the perceived guitar sound!
I spend quite some time on the bass. It's running 3 parallel racks in ableton. One is fuzz + overdrive, then just fuzz, then just dry for that slapping attack.

Last edited:

MartinH.

Imho there's nothing fundamentally different between using a VI guitar sample library with amp sims and a real guitar recordead clean over a DI box and then fed into amp sims. On the sim side there's nothing you'd need to specifically change between one and the other.

The areas that I've found to be the hardest to replicate well with VI guitars are:
everything that repeats a single note very often,
tremolo picking at speeds other than those that were recorded,
everything that needs the guitar body's or string's resonance to work (e.g. open string feedback),
bends maybe (I didn't actually test them, but I'd imagine them to sound fake compared to the real thing),
chords (YMMV, I felt VI is lacking there unless the chord is recorded as a whole),
fine control over palm mutes.

neblix

Music, Math, Cats
Mercuriall Reaxis and the Neural DSP's Fortin Nameless are top quality high gain amplifiers (Go Fortin NTS if you want really aggressive modern metal). If you want to go cheap, Kuassa has good quality amp sims. Caliburn is a Marshall for a more classic rock sound, Creme is a Mesa Boogie.

For clean and crunch, Archetype Plini is the best sounding amp sim out there right now. The guys at Neural DSP in general are wizards.

OP

98bpm

[QUOTE
The areas that I've found to be the hardest to replicate well with VI guitars are:
everything that needs the guitar body's or string's resonance to work (e.g. open string feedback),
bends maybe (I didn't actually test them, but I'd imagine them to sound fake compared to the real thing),
chords (YMMV, I felt VI is lacking there unless the chord is recorded as a whole),
fine control over palm mutes.[/QUOTE]

For me, using Electri6ity was my first jump into VI guitars, as I was using all synths in the past. As enormous as that shift was (for the better), there's clearly some things that I can't pull off with a VI guitar. I do like that Electri6ity gives the ability to control mute layers with your choice of velocity or CC ( I chose CC). Trills felt weird to me with the way they're triggered (starting from the highest note instead of the lowest). Also, I was never able to get the "sympathetic resonance" to work, and that's vital for a good emulation. I think the bends (particularly, the double stops) and vibrato options are quite good. I set my chord speed with CC, but hated that I can't edit the chords the engine recognizes.

Here's a track I did that used two guitars from Electri6ity. I don't know anything about mixing, so go easy on me. I was trying to learn how to use Cubase and ended up creating this 80's synth-pop vibe with all those retro sounds in Cubase. I rounded off the track with the guitars to test them out.

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/create-while-studying-rough-mix-2-mp3.20396/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Attachments

chocobitz825

[QUOTE
fine control over palm mutes.
For me, using Electri6ity was my first jump into VI guitars, as I was using all synths in the past. As enormous as that shift was (for the better), there's clearly some things that I can't pull off with a VI guitar. I do like that Electri6ity gives the ability to control mute layers with your choice of velocity or CC ( I chose CC). Trills felt weird to me with the way they're triggered (starting from the highest note instead of the lowest). Also, I was never able to get the "sympathetic resonance" to work, and that's vital for a good emulation. I think the bends (particularly, the double stops) and vibrato options are quite good. I set my chord speed with CC, but hated that I can't edit the chords the engine recognizes.

Here's a track I did that used two guitars from Electri6ity. I don't know anything about mixing, so go easy on me. I was trying to learn how to use Cubase and ended up creating this 80's synth-pop vibe with all those retro sounds in Cubase. I rounded off the track with the guitars to test them out.

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/create-while-studying-rough-mix-2-mp3.20396/][/AUDIOPLUS][/QUOTE]

I have a large collection of VI guitars and honestly eletri6ity is not one I use anymore. It’s just not up to date. Orange tree samples guitars, ample sounds guitar, heavier7Strings and shreddage are all much better and versatile. It takes a lot of keyswitch toggling to get the most realistic sound, but it makes the difference for a lot of it. Even though I have many actual guitars, VI guitars are my choice lately for songwriting when I need to be able to change things quickly without need to re-record guitar parts.

Nick Batzdorf

don't be too salty man. I'm sorry your to hurt your feelings.
Amplitube's is a steaming festering piece of banta dump. High gain amps wise
Especially their Mesa emus.

I know what I'm talking about. Been doing it for a long while and was able to shootout nearly every offering on the market against their analog counterparts.

I missed this the first time around. That's a very good video.

It would be interesting to hear all the simulators with real-life intervention - like a little room reverb, and possibly some EQ - to match the real amp. But the differences are pretty stark.

You'd think people would clean up after their bantas.

Nick Batzdorf

Hah. So I didn't miss it the first time around, I just forgot. :)

Very interesting video, but a suggestion: all the emulations are narrower, at a lower level than the real thing, and seem like they need some ambience - i.e. they *all* sound like crap next to the real thing when presented like that! But it's still a very good comparison video, because you can definitely hear the differences.

One other point: it's the higher stuff especially that makes some guitar/amp simulations sound plastic. War guitar parts like these sell a lot better.

chocobitz825

don't be too salty man. I'm sorry your to hurt your feelings.
Amplitube's is a steaming festering piece of banta dump. High gain amps wise
Especially their Mesa emus.

I know what I'm talking about. Been doing it for a long while and was able to shootout nearly every offering on the market against their analog counterparts.

Amplitude heads are worthless. The cabs, rooms and mics are nice though.

kavinsky

misty orchard in the middle of Czechoslovakia
I missed this the first time around. That's a very good video.

It would be interesting to hear all the simulators with real-life intervention - like a little room reverb, and possibly some EQ - to match the real amp. But the differences are pretty stark.

You'd think people would clean up after their bantas.
Not sure if I misunderstand, but there's no need for a room simulation, the real head is recorded through a load box into the same IR as the plugins. Its a direct comparison of amps eliminating all the variables as much as possible.
Of course the real cab would sound a lot more "lively" than an impulse, but the difference would render the comparison pointless

Zoot_Rollo

Throbbing Member
Mercuriall Reaxis and the Neural DSP's Fortin Nameless are top quality high gain amplifiers (Go Fortin NTS if you want really aggressive modern metal). If you want to go cheap, Kuassa has good quality amp sims. Caliburn is a Marshall for a more classic rock sound, Creme is a Mesa Boogie.

For clean and crunch, Archetype Plini is the best sounding amp sim out there right now. The guys at Neural DSP in general are wizards.

I'd be interested in hearing opinions of the Neural DSP offerings with VI guitars.

Especially Plini and Nameless.

Neural offers trials on all their products.

For bass, their Darkglass Ultra plugins are great

https://neuraldsp.com/products/

Top Bottom