What's new

Amd ryzen is here

I can concur that for large Orchestral work using a DAW there's too many issues with their memory controller.
All fixable but they're concentrating on new drivers for specific markets like gaming.

Meanwhile the new Intel i9 CPUs are increasing L2 Cache to 1MB.
That's a sign the Speed is starting to peak, but less trips to RAM from increased Cache equates to speed.

We all had high hopes for Ryzen.
For those working with low-latency audio, the i7-7700k ($200 less) is a better performer... and the i7-6850k (same cost as the 1800x) is better still.

Best Regards,
Jim Roseberry
www.studio

Thanks for all your hard work Jim! Helps us out tremendously!

So the i7-6850K would be a better choice than the i7-7700K?

Depends on what you need. More cores, or better per-core speed? 7700k is much more recent too, so more energy efficient.

However for composing, 7700k supports up to 64 GB of RAM, whereas 6850K supports up to 128. Also 6850K doesn't have built-in graphics so that's a separate purchase if you go with that one.

Depends on what you need. More cores, or better per-core speed? 7700k is much more recent too, so more energy efficient.

However for composing, 7700k supports up to 64 GB of RAM, whereas 6850K supports up to 128. Also 6850K doesn't have built-in graphics so that's a separate purchase if you go with that one.

Thanks ED! I'll be going with a separate graphics whichever processor I choose. Probably the GTX 1070 since it's only $150 more than the 1060.

Also the ASUS X99 DELUXE II supports the 128 GB of RAM, but would the newer Z170 and Z270 be better for future processors if a year or 2 one decides to upgrade their processor?

If I can run Falcon, Omnisphere, in multi (like 3 or so instruments each), plus other VSTi effects, Kontakt etc., at 64 latency using the RME PCIe RayDAT or Hammerfall, AND do video editing with Adobe Premier CC, then whichever processor will be best.

My thing is more cores for video editing rendering might be best BUT with the 7700K it might not matter. I was going to water cool and if more cores makes sense, then perhaps OC the 6850K to 4.3 or so. But if the 7700K can handle all the above then I would go with that.

Also, I could always start with the 7700K and upgrade my processor in the future if needed.

Last edited:
Good to see, but I'm concerned with fake news.
I noticed an ASRock motherboard for Ryzen using a Z270 chipset.
I know my brothas' here are mostly DIY types or system integrators for their own builds.
So please correct me if I'm wrong.
Top right Ryzen motherboard is using a Z270 chipset.

Please tell me I'm not tripping.
I've been distracted by the rather tall beautiful Asian ASRock models, just need my suspicions confirmed.

IMG_0674.JPG

Top Bottom