What's new

AMD Radeon 560 on UHD - Mouse cursor hiccup while moving

mscp

Does anyone know why would the mouse cursor hiccups while moving it across the screen from time to time? I'm on Win 10 Pro, have a Radeon 560 4GB graphics card, am running only one 27" UHD (4K) monitor, and all drivers seem to be up to date. (including my Kensington trackball and graphics card).

What are the symptoms of a mouse cursor hiccup?

Have you tried using a different mouse?

What are the symptoms of a mouse cursor hiccup?

Have you tried using a different mouse?
Actually, not only the cursor itself, but the 'hiccup' effect can be seen on several little things on screen from time to time such as that Cubase transport grid line and the timecode indicators as well. These hiccups last for a fraction of a second every few seconds or so. Minor annoyances, but certainly trigger my OCD and I wonder what's going on.

I've run Latencymon and checked Task Manager, but wasn't able find the culprit yet. I don't have another mouse to test - unfortunately.

Actually, not only the cursor itself, but the 'hiccup' effect can be seen on several little things on screen from time to time such as that Cubase transport grid line and the timecode indicators as well. These hiccups last for a fraction of a second every few seconds or so. Minor annoyances, but certainly trigger my OCD and I wonder what's going on.
Doesn't sound like a mouse issue then. Probably a GPU or monitor issue.

Update motherboard BIOS and check

Update motherboard BIOS and check
Done it yesterday already. Not it. :(

OK, but check the link I posted, it is not for NVIDIA only.
Thanks! I just can't be bothered with going through that level of scrutiny to get a video card working optimally. I'd rather sell mine for dirt cheap and get a new one or go back to a Mac. :barefoot:

Machines have to work for us, not the other way around. :)

Last edited:
So, after days after days trying to solve the issue, I think I'm getting warmer. It might be my DELL 4k monitor. Every time I turn it off and back on, the problem seems to go away for a while. I have almost done a complete clean install...that would have been such a pain...haha.

Not sure if I use the right names for the functions I recommend, due to the german windows version I use, things named slightly different.
Tried restarting Windows? Not just off and on, since this tend not to do a complete restart unless you're changing setting within the Energy Options. It's just saving the actual state of windows to allow a quick boot.
Monitor/Software Drivers Installed? Never had problems with this, but I never used a DELL Monitor ;)
Try a resolution that worked before, I guess you changed Display?
Being more specific about your system might give me a hint. Processor, Audio Device, connected USB Devices.

Not sure if I use the right names for the functions I recommend, due to the german windows version I use, things named slightly different.
Tried restarting Windows? Not just off and on, since this tend not to do a complete restart unless you're changing setting within the Energy Options. It's just saving the actual state of windows to allow a quick boot.
Monitor/Software Drivers Installed? Never had problems with this, but I never used a DELL Monitor ;)
Try a resolution that worked before, I guess you changed monitor?
Being more specific about your system might give me a hint. Processor, Audio Device, connected USB Devices.
If I use a lower (non-native) resolution, problem's gone. Specs are in the signature section below. :)

USB tends to interrupt the CPU, even so your i9 shouldn't be influenced by this. Another thing could be the display refresh rate, tried to change it?

USB tends to interrupt the CPU, even so your i9 shouldn't be influenced by this. Another thing could be the display refresh rate, tried to change it?
DELL only offers me two types of refresh rate. A meager 30 and 60. :(

Tried another output from your Graphicscard, like the Display Port. Installed the DELL Display Manager?

Tried another output from your Graphicscard, like the Display Port. Installed the DELL Display Manager?
I have. same thing.
I don't have DELL Display Manager installed. Should I?

Edited: Ive just installed DELL's display manager. Issue persists.

Last edited:
I though it might install a display/monitor driver as well and would solve some sort of timing issue between graphics card and display. Other than that the higher resolution might cause an increase of power consumption (Edit: about 25% more than 1080p). But that would cause even more problems when playing 3D games, not sure you tried that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom