What's new

Alex Heppelmann - From Piano to Orchestra - YouTube

Very good videos overall. :)

One little thing that kind of stands in the way of a perfect video series:
The mic sound is a quite dark (not clear: very bassy).. (at times it's hard to hear what you say)

Hi everybody! I'd like to make a video on the best Adventure themes in both film music (stuff like the Indiana Jones theme) and classical music (composers like Strauss come to mind). What are your favorites??

Hi everybody! I'd like to make a video on the best Adventure themes in both film music (stuff like the Indiana Jones theme) and classical music (composers like Strauss come to mind). What are your favorites??
Very cinematic is the symphonic music of the russian composer Anatoly Liadov.
He is from around 1900, the time of classical composers making impressionistic music and symphonic poems, which I assume are a large influence for most film composers.
(PS: there are different ways in which his (russian) name is spelled).

Baba Yaga has a fantasy theme, but you can very well imagine it under a Starwars movie from John Williams.

Kikamora is rather brooding music:

And no, you do not want to ever meet Baba Yaga or Kikimora ;)

What really adds to these videos are the many little aside nuggets about common practice which clearly come from experience. Really well done on every level, content and production.

Alex, are you still looking for great adventure music? I love the first movement of Samuel Barber's Symphony No. 2, written in 1944 and first published in 1950. The opening sounds like he wrote it for that moment when the hero suddenly discovers that the worst imaginable outcome has come to pass. Very dramatic. Then it settles down into some adventure and pastoral passages before building back up again to high drama.

We almost didn't get to hear this amazing work because Barber withdrew it and asked his publisher to destroy all copies. Fortunately, one surviving set of parts was uncovered in 1984. Whew!

Alex, are you still looking for great adventure music? I love the first movement of Samuel Barber's Symphony No. 2, written in 1944 and first published in 1950. The opening sounds like he wrote it for that moment when the hero suddenly discovers that the worst imaginable outcome has come to pass. Very dramatic. Then it settles down into some adventure and pastoral passages before building back up again to high drama.

We almost didn't get to hear this amazing work because Barber withdrew it and asked his publisher to destroy all copies. Fortunately, one surviving set of parts was uncovered in 1984. Whew!

Thanks, Ray! I know this piece well! I never did get around to making an 'adventure theme' video, in part because there are so many subcategories of adventure, I didn't really know where to begin. But if I get around to it, this would be a great piece to analyze.

Top Bottom