What's new

Albion Uist Microphones

Parsifal666

I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.
It remains curious to me as to why Albion IV started out with the SA-standard CTAO mics, but at some point changed over to F M B.

Now, due to an old walkthrough and thorough lack of documentation (come on @SpitfireSupport it's about time something was done about this, please!) I am more curious as to exactly what these FMB mics entail and exactly why SA chose to change over (especially when the typical mic format is quite nice imo).

How do you folks use these mics? I've been just battling through all these years with these more recent ones, doing guess work....but I'd love a more comprehensive input regarding this strange (for SA instruments) anomaly.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Albion IV has everything with both Sets of mic mies - ctao and fmb.
As far as I remember they started to include the fmb mixes with their bml range. I would prefer having the fmb mic mixes on everything recorded at lyndhurst. They seem to offer better usable control of the amount of the hall

Thanks so much for the help, I need to find the non-JJ mixes them (trying). They're not popping up at me in the instrument window.

What is FMB? I did a web search just now, and the only things that come up are this forum posting, and a headset mic by a particular brand. Yet I have some vague recollection (Uist is a number of years ago by now) that Spitfire actually DID use headset mics, to get more of the individual player energy into these aleatoric articulations.

I use Uist on a couple of current projects but do not remember anything other than a fairly standard set of mics showing up. But I'm still using a limited subset. I also use it quite differently from the other Spitfire libraries in terms of mic mix, wet/dry mix, dynamics control, and other factors, just because it is such a different sort of library and reacts in sometimes unexpected ways.

Front, Mid, Back? With each being a pre-mix of some specific mics as opposed to 1:1 mappings as with the others (if one cheats and considers a Blumlein pair a single mic, which sometimes it is, e.g. AEA R88).

Front, Mid, Back? With each being a pre-mix of some specific mics as opposed to 1:1 mappings as with the others (if one cheats and considers a Blumlein pair a single mic, which sometimes it is, e.g. AEA R88).

It would be nice if there were help bubbles in Uist (ya know, because they're found in practically every SA lib since).

I remain miffed (have been since purchase, several years ago) there isn't an actual MANUAL for Uist. It seemed bizarrely lazy for @SpitfireSupport.

Top Bottom