What's new

ALBION(S) One thru V Preference Order _ TODAY ??

From what you describe, and given you already have One, then III is really all there is (although III isn't my favourite and I think it has the least versatility).
The other Albions are more for softer style, underscore, or tension/horror kind of stuff.

The Albions are great... but what do you actually *need*? They are all very different. Why do you want them? :cautious:

Loegria has some great stuff too (though again you're paying for the room as much as anything else). I've noticed that (besides Uist) I tend to use this most in final mockups, maybe because for me that library stands well on its own. At least when it comes to a more relaxed sound: adagios, lentos, etc.

From what you describe, and given you already have One, then III is really all there is (although III isn't my favourite and I think it has the least versatility).
The other Albions are more for softer style, underscore, or tension/horror kind of stuff.

The Albions are great... but what do you actually *need*? They are all very different. Why do you want them? :cautious:

Thx for your reply and relevant comment. It is useful and appreciated.
Plz note however, I never ask .... 'What should I purchase?', or 'Which is best for me?' ....
How would anyone know unless they were here and worked with me?

My inquiries are often to illicit responses, from knowledgeable individuals, to help guide my decisions about the myriad tools available.
Also, some are amazing, probing, dissecting souls, who prefer to try every control, test every nuance, and perhaps never truly achieve an end point.
APPLAUSE !! but that is NOT me !

My learning (in this specific activity) is often using presets, snapshots, loops, sequences, grooves, et al, to hear what I like/want/need, and then see what settings achieved it. Criticism of this approach is not offensive, but doesn't change how I prefer to learn.

Much was read about Albion One, and inquiries made, prior to purchase. No problem with value received, but does not (so far) provide some of what was/is desired. Before moving forward with other Albion(s), based on their very strong reputation, I simply wished to make the best next choice .... in terms of complementing/enhancing __ strengths/weaknesses of Albion One.

Based on Replies so far, it is no surprise to see support for all Albions, but ICENI (III) now feels best next step, with UIST (IV) very close behind.
I was headed for TUNDRA (V), mainly as it was so very popular in terms of numbers of purchasers. Responses here suggest others to better complement ONE.

I just see the various Albions as different colors in the palette of orchestral sounds recorded at Air-Studios, so which is "best" depends entirely on what one is doing. Ranking the various Albion libraries IMO would be akin to ranking the colors of the rainbow, asserting that certain frequencies of the electromagnetic spectrum were "better" than others...

...UIST is a very different beast than the others, and can be difficult to wrap one's head around even what all is there, much less how to successfully catalog and use it. Spitfire has actually called UIST "non aleatoric" LOL.

Essentially, for adding to ONE, if you want fairy-tale light and ethereal: II, extremely remote post-modern ethereal: V, deep and heavy: III, FX & funky effects: IV. They're all great. Just different.

I am convinced there are people who simply enjoy talking about buying sample libraries on forums but don't actually make any music. Or maybe others who collect them like others collect ornaments - once purchased they're handled for a moment and then left on a shelf alongside the rest, gathering dust.
If we could stop projecting for five minutes, that would be great.

That-Would-Be-Great.jpg

I just see the various Albions as different colors in the palette of orchestral sounds recorded at Air-Studios, so which is "best" depends entirely on what one is doing. Ranking the various Albion libraries IMO would be akin to ranking the colors of the rainbow, asserting that certain frequencies of the electromagnetic spectrum were "better" than others...

...UIST is a very different beast than the others, and can be difficult to wrap one's head around even what all is there, much less how to successfully catalog and use it. Spitfire has actually called UIST "non aleatoric" LOL.

Essentially, for adding to ONE, if you want fairy-tale light and ethereal: II, extremely remote post-modern ethereal: V, deep and heavy: III, FX & funky effects: IV. They're all great. Just different.

THX! Your descriptions/analogies are relevant and sensible, BUT please note that I tried very hard to avoid 'ranking' in my Title, having some sense of what your are describing. :thumbsup: So hard sometimes to use this format to express ....

I wanted what you (and others) are providing effectively ..... a comparison of Albion(s), as you experience them.
One then gets a range of impressions to digest, and sort, as well as possible, against available walkthroughs, demos, etc.
SURE .... each individual has different needs and impressions from the same (5) versions, yet those who own them can provide salient experiences.

Your last paragraph is stated nicely and is appreciated .... along with the UIST comment. Very much what I feel is needed, going forward. :2thumbs:

Loegra can be used as (high) to Ablion One (low); or mixed with Tundra; Albion One can be mixed (high) with Inceni's (low), UIST can thrown in any with Hybrid sounds as well, but especially the Hermann Kit. What a palette of sounds!

QUOTE="moosethree, post: 4125775, member: 7896"]Loegra can be used as (high) to Ablion One (low); or mixed with Tundra; Albion One can be mixed (high) with Inceni's (low), UIST can thrown in any with Hybrid sounds as well, but especially the Hermann Kit. What a palette of sounds![/QUOTE]

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
In context with general tone of posts, INCENI now seems a comfortable 'next' addition to existing ONE.

Very easy to be distracted with BH Composer Toolkit, and really need to 'live with' decisions made to acquire The Orchestra and BO_Inspire. Not that those were poor choices, just that they were made recently.

My abilities are not yet strong enough to sort more subtle issues with how Albion(s) will sit with TO & BO_I, and some useful learning will surely take place.
BIG deal (however) if solid argument is made to 'enhance/complement' TO and/or BO_I with BH_CT ( as better choice than Albion(s)..... :speechless:

Ha! Of course that can't happen, but not just because of the non-transferrable Spitfire clause, but both because Evo Winds is easily my most used of the Evos (though that ain't saying a lot) and Action Strings is a staple for me in general. The latter is essential in my music.
Nice would you have some favorite track you made in wich Evo Wind's library is well present? :D

Thx for your reply and relevant comment. It is useful and appreciated.
Plz note however, I never ask .... 'What should I purchase?', or 'Which is best for me?' ....
How would anyone know unless they were here and worked with me?

My inquiries are often to illicit responses, from knowledgeable individuals, to help guide my decisions about the myriad tools available.
Also, some are amazing, probing, dissecting souls, who prefer to try every control, test every nuance, and perhaps never truly achieve an end point.
APPLAUSE !! but that is NOT me !

My learning (in this specific activity) is often using presets, snapshots, loops, sequences, grooves, et al, to hear what I like/want/need, and then see what settings achieved it. Criticism of this approach is not offensive, but doesn't change how I prefer to learn.

Much was read about Albion One, and inquiries made, prior to purchase. No problem with value received, but does not (so far) provide some of what was/is desired. Before moving forward with other Albion(s), based on their very strong reputation, I simply wished to make the best next choice .... in terms of complementing/enhancing __ strengths/weaknesses of Albion One.

Based on Replies so far, it is no surprise to see support for all Albions, but ICENI (III) now feels best next step, with UIST (IV) very close behind.
I was headed for TUNDRA (V), mainly as it was so very popular in terms of numbers of purchasers. Responses here suggest others to better complement ONE.
Sure, I'm not criticising you at all. I sometimes take the same "see what is out there" approach. I'm just asking you what you need, but you didn't answer that.

All the Albions compliment each other well. I think @Quasar describes it very well. It basically depends on the mood you are looking for. By far the best way to work this out is to watch the Spitfire videos.

Loegria and Tundra for softer and ethereal. Iceni for lower end brashness, IV for effects.

Nice would you have some favorite track you made in wich Evo Wind's library is well present? :D

Not really, sorry. Evo 4 (in fact, the Evos in general) are mostly good for layering, underscoring. I don't think I've used any of them bald in a track...I don't even think they're meant for that. They're a support instrument. If they worked great alone, I wouldn't have mentioned them as being purchases I regret.

For upfront stuff I simply use Action and Session (with some seriously thought out effects templates). Or the abovementioned Spitfire osinati.

Sure, I'm not criticising you at all. I sometimes take the same "see what is out there" approach. I'm just asking you what you need, but you didn't answer that.

All the Albions compliment each other well. I think @Quasar describes it very well. It basically depends on the mood you are looking for. By far the best way to work this out is to watch the Spitfire videos.

Loegria and Tundra for softer and ethereal. Iceni for lower end brashness, IV for effects.

No criticism inferred ....
Do not 'need' anything, but wish to enhance/complement Albion ONE .. not in terms of a specific 'today' project, but somewhere else in the 'color palette'.
Acknowledge that your 'color palette' is likely different from mine. :P
Yes .. I feel a need for more 'brashness' thus ICENI .... yet still learning lots from all Reply posts. :thumbsup:

Albion 1 is evergreen

Albion ONE is reportedly okay but a strange number of people still prefer 1.

Albion Iceni is really powerful but sometimes the ambient space militates against the design of a direct, punchy library. It would be interesting to have this same lineup at Streisand Stage or a similar space, instead of AIR.

Albion Tundra sounds lovely and is on my radar.

IMO Uist and Loegria are not must haves ;) Nearly everything Spitfire ever puts out is good though.

Albion 1 is evergreen

Albion ONE is reportedly okay but a strange number of people still prefer 1.

Albion Iceni is really powerful but sometimes the ambient space militates against the design of a direct, punchy library. It would be interesting to have this same lineup at Streisand Stage or a similar space, instead of AIR.

Albion Tundra sounds lovely and is on my radar.

IMO Uist and Loegria are not must haves ;) Nearly everything Spitfire ever puts out is good though.

Respect your comments ...... yet this relights earlier Tundra focus ...
Cannot go far wrong, __ just which 'now' decision... was shifting to ICENI, for no really clear reasons other than BIG. :notworthy:

Last edited:
There are a few really good patches in all the Albions, but there's a lot that bothers me. The higher octave short strings in ONE sound horrible, but the low end stuff is fantastic. Iceni is cool in theory, but I can never get it to sit right with my other libs. It takes up too much headroom and has a wierd midrange to it. The only Albion I REALLY like is Uist. Even then, It's a pain in the ass to sift through. It would be awesome if Spitfire released a "Best of Albion" library.

Just for the record, I'm picky as hell. I dont like half of the libraries Ive purchased. I bet most people are way more satisfied with the Albion collection than I am.

Last edited:
There are a few really good patches in all the Albions, but there's a lot that bothers me. The higher octave short strings in ONE sound horrible, but the low end stuff is fantastic. Iceni is cool in theory, but I can never get it to sit right with my other libs. It takes up too much headroom and has a wierd midrange to it. The only Albion I REALLY like is Uist. Even then, It's a pain in the ass to sift through. It would be awesome if Spitfire released a "Best of Albion" library.

Just for the record, I'm picky as hell. I dont like half of the libraries Ive purchased. I bet most people are way more satisfied with the Albion collection than I am.

Hmmmm. 'Picky' is a good thing :thumbsup: Sooo, given that I have ONE (and very early days with orch/cine/epic/trlr) I'm intrigued by your perceptions/experiences. Trusting this means UIST helps the shortcomings in ONE ... even given the PITA sifting thru?

Last edited:
...Just for the record, I'm picky as hell. I dont like half of the libraries Ive purchased. I bet most people are way more satisfied with the Albion collection than I am.

I certainly am. I think the Albions as a set (for me with I, not ONE) are about the greatest thing since sliced bread, the wheel, Prometheus's gift of fire or whatever... And as much as they might cause headaches trying to blend them with other libraries (which can be done, though I'm still learning how to do it better,) they all mesh brilliantly with each other.

Hmmmm. 'Picky' is a good thing :thumbsup: Sooo, given that I have ONE (and very early days with orch/cine/epic/trlr) I'm intrigued by your perceptions/experiences. Trusting this means UIST helps the shortcomings in ONE ... even given the PITA sifting thru?
Im actually too picky, and I wouldnt trust what I say. Everyones ears and preferences are different.

I wouldnt say Uist helps the shortcomings of ONE (nothing can help that). It's just so different from ONE that they can't even be compared. It's a very niche library, and is nothing but dark orchestral fx. Unless you're composing mystery, suspense, or horror, I would avoid it. Btw, navigating Uist is cumbersome, because It's so massive and loaded with patches. I've never seen a library with so many patches, and I honestly do believe that Spitfire did their best with organizing it. Hell, Spitfire does their best with everything.

Im actually too picky, and I wouldnt trust what I say. Everyones ears and preferences are different.

I wouldnt say Uist helps the shortcomings of ONE (nothing can help that). It's just so different from ONE that they can't even be compared. It's a very niche library, and is nothing but dark orchestral fx. Unless you're composing mystery, suspense, or horror, I would avoid it. Btw, navigating Uist is cumbersome, because It's so massive and loaded with patches. I've never seen a library with so many patches, and I honestly do believe that Spitfire did their best with organizing it. Hell, Spitfire does their best with everything.

I disagree with the bolded. UIST is essentially ornamentation, and could potentially be successfully used to augment any style imaginable. Some of the WW runs, for instance, are quite playful... But I agree about it being massive and cumbersome, and that this isn't in any way a fault of Spitfire. Its nature simply defies categorization.

Side note, I love Spitfire libs with NKS compatibility. Can't wait until Albion One gets updated that way. Will help me forget about legacy Albion 1 altogether ;)

Top Bottom