Albion 3 Iceni - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Levon, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Levon

Levon Active Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Hi,
    Noticed that Spitfire Audio have Albion Iceni as their Highlight product this month and have currently reduced it to £279.

What are people’s experiences with the library? Do you find it quite niche?

I’ve currently got Albion One and the OT Arks. Wondering if I would benefit from Albion 3.

Cheers,
    Levon

2. Britpack50

Britpack50 Senior Member

May 26, 2016
    Also interested, OT Arks get much love and I’m sure rightly so! But harder to find comments on Iceni or Logeria.

3. Quasar

Quasar Senior Member

Jun 26, 2012
    I have it, and it's for "big and low" orchestral textures. Cannot compare it to Arks or Audio Imperia, and the newer stuff might be more "epic" or whatever. I wouldn't know. I really like it.

Check out Daniel James's lengthy and informative YouTube video! This, along with the fact that it gels well with Albion 1, Air and all of that induced me to purchase it more than anything else.

4. Tanuj Tiku

Tanuj Tiku Senior Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Mumbai, India
    What are you hoping to get out of Albion III?

I ask because you already have Ark 1 and that covers all of aggressive, large side of the orchestra. I really like the mellow low string section (compared to Ark) that Albion III has and it works better for film scoring and a rounded tone.

If you want an aggressive sound then Ark 1 is better. Some of the percussion in Albion is good but again if you have other libraries that sort of cover it, you can pass on this.

The brass in Albion III has no comparison with the one in Ark 1. They are very different and Albion III has less options when compared to Ark 1.

There is also the question of how the samples were recorded. Ark 1 is focused in the center for example with Tubas and low strings in terms of weighting. So, that works well with trailer music but may be less so with more traditional film score sound if you are writing with that seating in mind.

You can move things around with panning etc but generally with wet libraries I find the results are less convincing when moving entire critical sections.

rohitmeena and JohnG like this.
  5. Peter Stallo

Peter Stallo Senior Member

Oct 26, 2018
    I don't have any of the Ark products, but I have Albion One and Iceni and I love them both. Iceni is what I go to for that 'epic' low sound. I also have 66 tubas and 66 basses from 8dio and those are pretty hefty as well. I think if you stacked the two and added the Renaissance bass plugin, you could hit South Park's infamous 'brown note'

TheSigillite likes this.
  6. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    I like it and use it often, but agree with @Tanuj Tiku that it is a very particular tool, not really a library you'd buy as your first sample set. I don't have Ark so can't compare.

jason.d likes this.
  7. Rv5

Rv5 Senior Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Huuuge fan of Iceni, bought it specifically for an Assassin's Creed trailer pitch some years ago:

String, low brass and percussion all in there, but also the synths - they're freakin' filthy. Also loads of lovely sub synth stuff for layering and... incredible loops, some seriously tasty stuff in there and think maybe overlooked for the orchestral offerings. Really worth delving into the synths and loops.

Bit of a mess around with some other aspects of Iceni:

Can't advise on comparison to the Arks, but Iceni still finds some good use and drives inspiration for me.

8. Mike Fox

Mike Fox Senior Member

Jul 8, 2016
    If you like dryer libraries, then avoid it at all costs.

If you don't care about that, then buy it now!

Parsifal666 likes this.
  9. redlester

redlester Senior Member

Feb 14, 2018
    Nottingham, UK
    Am awaiting Spitfire to finish building a HDD for me but will be checking Iceni out as soon as I can. Anything which features a set of presets under the heading "Quandary of Molluscs" seems right up my street! :)

10. Parsifal666

Parsifal666 I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    One phrase fits perfectly here imo: Yee HAW! You want supa-chunk/heavy metal ostinato, diseased (in the "good" way) low woodwinds? Look no further. Ark 1 can do some of the things Iceni can, but in those two, abovementioned facets Iceni truly excels.

Iceni actually kept me from buying Ark 1 for the longest time, and when I first bought Ark 1 I was disappointed because I heard the aforementioned, analogous patches and capabilities. However, once I complemented 1 with 2 I saw the (fantastic) value in having both the Spitfire and OT products.

Iceni can be such a necessarily rugged, mean beast. And if you're looking for a sample library that is the quintessence of that, look no further. You also get what for me some at times quite useable Taiko and loops...it's so much more than "just" orchestral. I can't recommend it enough, SF knocked it out of the part with that one imo, Uist too (Albion II I a fine library as well, but perhaps the least essential...I don't own and probably never will V).

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  11. AdamKmusic

AdamKmusic Senior Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Very tempted with this price, but I guess I would get a better discount if they do 40% for the christmas wishlist again?