Aiva - Artificial Intelligence Composition: beta starting today

Akarin

composingtips.com
Here's my take (as someone who runs an AI research lab and teaches stuff like deep learning): AI will reach the level of human media composers very soon. By this, I mean the level of current media composers. The problem is not if AI can do it or if composers aren't bringing value over a machine but it is more a question of what people want. By people, I mean our customers: directors, producers, and so on.

How many times were you asked to go as close to a temp score without infringing on copyright? AI is already much better (and faster!) than humans.

It is only when we are asked to do something completely different and new that we still have an edge as humans. But as you very well know, this is not the majority of the demands that we get.

NYC Composer

Hey, does Aiva...

1. Sing? Can it do various voices and emotions, if so? Can it cry and sob and moan vocally, convincingly?
2. Play blues slide guitar?
3. Have a sense of humor and the ability to impart this in music?
4. If Aiva spits out ten pieces and the director says “ I want it to sound more, I dunno, like, orange?” will Aiva be able to go there?
5. If a director’s having a bad day, hows Aiva with sympathetic listening about, say, relationship problems?
6. Does Aiva conduct, get the best out of symphonic musicians in an inspirational sense? If so, can it tell which of 20 string players is out of tune?
7. Does it write moving lyrics?

I could go on.....

chocobitz825

Hey, does Aiva...

1. Sing? Can it do various voices and emotions, if so? Can it cry and sob and moan vocally, convincingly?
2. Play blues slide guitar?
3. Have a sense of humor and the ability to impart this in music?
4. If Aiva spits out ten pieces and the director says “ I want it to sound more, I dunno, like, orange?” will Aiva be able to go there?
5. If a director’s having a bad day, hows Aiva with sympathetic listening about, say, relationship problems?
6. Does Aiva conduct, get the best out of symphonic musicians in an inspirational sense? If so, can it tell which of 20 string players is out of tune?
7. Does it write moving lyrics?

I could go on.....
1. AIVA cant but Splash Pro is dabbling in that.
2. I don't think it has slide guitar yet, but they'll likely add that down the line.
3. I don't know if you could call it a sense of humor, but some of its compositions are laughable. ;) seriously though, if there is a concept in music theory that can tell a person how to convey comedic feelings and elements, an AI can learn the same.
4. I think AIVA would struggle like any composer to figure out what more "orange" means, and would just keep pushing out stuff until something clicks....like a real composer would.
5. I suppose AIVA would save the director time fussing around with a composer so they could use that time to go see a therapist instead.
6. I don't think every composer has this skill set anyway. Its easy enough to get a composition from AIVA and then hire a team for recording.
7. Subjective, but there are AIs that write, and sometimes its actually deep. For a funny one though InspiroBotinspirobot.me actually sometimes pushes out something deep.

please, do go on :)

quote1a.jpg
(inspirobot)

Flexi83

i love everything about this. I repeat my earlier point. What kind of AI we get depends on who makes it and why. So someone like you, and all of the other concerned composers need to be a part of the development, not just wait and see. We could have something beautiful that help us as intelligent assistive technology...or a movie studio could put all their money into a technology that terms out mediocre bgm at minimal cost. It’s up to us to make sure even AI protects the values of music.
Be part of the development? How ? Troels is musician and a skilled engineer. Of course he is positive about this because he is a toolmaker who benefits from the development. For me its quite unknown how disruptive AI can be.

Flexi83

If I look at china I can see what kind of system technology with all the face recognition and penality point eco sytem brings. The only ones who profit the most from this are the ones that owning the algorithms. I do not see myself being part of something if i were a born chinese...just some unlucky guy....