Aiva - Artificial Intelligence Composition: beta starting today

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Darius, Jan 14, 2019.

1. PerryD

PerryD Active Member

Mar 5, 2013
    I envision a boutique market in the near future for * Fully Organic Scores * A novelty for a premium aural experience.

AVaudio likes this.
  2. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    Back to recording horns: No electricity was used in the making of this recording.

PerryD likes this.
  3. gregh

gregh Senior Member

Feb 1, 2015

4. Land of Missing Parts

Land of Missing Parts No Time for Honky-Tonk

Jan 27, 2013
    Hogwarts
    Oh cool, this is a good first pass. The director has some notes for Aiva--can you conform to the new cut, line up the timpani with the drone sunrise shot, and producers were thinking to make it more "Egyptian". They want the harp to sound more "minor chord".

5. Rey

Rey Active Member

Apr 1, 2017
    how is aiva compares to orb composer?

6. dflood

dflood Active Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Good AI composers borrow, great AI composers steal.

7. averystemmler

averystemmler Active Member

Sep 22, 2017
    "This cue sounds too much like discovery. Can you make it sound more like foreshadowing?"

"Character A really changed Character B's career forever. We need you to represent that in the music."

When AI can handle matters of abstract storytelling, I think society has bigger changes coming, outside of music.

richardt4520 and gregh like this.
  8. KallumS

KallumS Active Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Camden, London
    How does this compare to Hexachords Orb Composer, which also touts itself as an AI compositional tool?

I actually quite like the idea of AI as an assistant. I've seen how Algonaut's Atlas can blast away writer's block with the click of a button. Powerful stuff.

9. gregh

gregh Senior Member

Feb 1, 2015
    AI - the brain is just like a computer - lol

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  10. MartinH.

MartinH. Senior Member

Jun 16, 2018
    Well, it's better than what I can compose :(. Would certainly feel weird if I was persuing this as more than just a hobby.

bosone likes this.
  11. averystemmler

averystemmler Active Member

Sep 22, 2017
    You mean your computer doesn't wriggle?

12. scottbuckley

scottbuckley Active Member

Uh... Bleep bloop? :D

averystemmler likes this.
  13. MartinH.

MartinH. Senior Member

Jun 16, 2018
    Do you think once millions of jobs in the transportation industry are lost to self-driving cars and loading/unloading-robots, there will be new political parties campaigning on the promise to outlaw employing AI for jobs that a human could do? A pro-human-workers-party?

Have any of you seriously considered to switch profession to being a programmer if the machines ever take your job? *insert Southpark reference here*

I think I probably have a good decade or two left before they're coming for my job as a freelance artist, but is it smart to try and make the transition at the last possible moment? Probably not...

14. ScoreFace

ScoreFace Active Member

Nov 21, 2018
    The piece sounds nice indeed, but my first thought was if this kind of AI could possible compose in an even more innovative way than a human being that is bound to his own musical roots? It could maybe try out some crazy things with a mouseclick and helping us composers find some new fresh ideas, who knows?

Maybe it could become a kind of experimenting machine for us composers - does someone know how this works?

15. Batrawi

Batrawi Active Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Like this :P
    Screenshot_20190115-153800.jpg

16. ScoreFace

ScoreFace Active Member

Nov 21, 2018
  17. PerryD

PerryD Active Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Hmmm...IBM vs chess master. AIVA vs John Williams, scoring a one minute film. :)

ScoreFace likes this.
  18. OP
    OP
    Darius

Darius New Member

It's a cloud service - all the processing is done on Aiva's servers. You can expect a ~2 minute piece of music to be generated and rendered in around 5-10 seconds (I'm sure that's liable to change depending on the server load and internal processes).

I'm sure I read somewhere that it raises your anti-oxidants and reduces the appearance of aging!

This already happened; they were called Luddites. It may happen again!

PerryD and Rey like this.
  19. Symfoniq

Symfoniq Active Member

May 8, 2013
    Then you simply need to study more scores. Because that's what these AIs are doing. AIs are pattern recognition machines. They're being fed large amounts of information about existing music, and "learning" the patterns. There is no real creativity here, just regurgitation of patterns that a sufficiently large data set would indicate are acceptable or pleasing.

richardt4520 likes this.
  20. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    What is "real" creativity in this sense? Pattern matching + random variation + culling mechanism for deciding what works and what doesn't. And how do we imagine "real" creativity differs? There is perhaps an intention that separates creativity from regurgitation from an indefinitely large data set but how do we define that intention in a rigorous way?

MartinH. likes this.