What's new

Aiva - Artificial Intelligence Composition: beta starting today

Darius

The good people at Aiva are launching their AI composing tool in beta release, where custom music will be made from beginning to end with no human intervention.

Select persons (ie; composers, academics, and from industry) will have access to the service for now. If you're such an individual and would like to contribute or explore AI in music, suggest you try for the beta! I understand there will be wider rollouts in the near future if you don't make the beta.

I'm proud to have been working with them over the past month to bring their offline virtual instrument rendering and automatic mixing up to good working order.

The AI's are coming - join them :emoji_robot:

I guess the one good thing about this is the pricing is high enough that (1) they don't seem to be in the business of collecting data to harvest and sell and (2) it's unlikely their primary aim is for their users to do the work of refining the AI. Still, the business plan seems to be about using your music for their system to generate additional content and then sell/license it back to you. As I read it, the legal framework they have adopted is that whatever kinds of inputs you have given the program, they own the music created by the technology, and you are restricted from using that unless you have the right license. I wonder what other rights they have reserved.

I guess the one good thing about this is the pricing is high enough that (1) they don't seem to be in the business of collecting data to harvest and sell and (2) it's unlikely their primary aim is for their users to do the work of refining the AI. Still, the business plan seems to be about using your music for their system to generate additional content and then sell/license it back to you. As I read it, the legal framework they have adopted is that whatever kinds of inputs you have given the program, they own the music created by the technology, and you are restricted from using that unless you have the right license. I wonder what other rights they have reserved.
Seems like a fair assessment. Although, it's an interesting topic of licensing vis-a-vis creating or adding to content. The AI is able to take your MIDI files and use it to generate similar or tangential compositions, rather than making modifications yours. Admittedly the terminology is a blurry line (c'est la vie?).

Could it be analogous to you or I using another piece of music as inspiration and expecting licensing protection?
If so, should there be different rules for an AI and the person/company who made it?
If not, would music generated from a 'random' inspiration qualify for protection as it infringes on no-one?

Seems like a fair assessment. Although, it's an interesting topic of licensing vis-a-vis creating or adding to content. The AI is able to take your MIDI files and use it to generate similar or tangential compositions, rather than making modifications yours. Admittedly the terminology is a blurry line (c'est la vie?).

Could it be analogous to you or I using another piece of music as inspiration and expecting licensing protection?
If so, should there be different rules for an AI and the person/company who made it?
If not, would music generated from a 'random' inspiration qualify for protection as it infringes on no-one?
Well, the algorithm, the thing making the composition, at this point is not a legal entity. The corporation that owns the rights to the IP of the algorithm is. So the analogy to one of us ghosting compositional labor or being an assistant is not at all exact. With the algorithm, the labor that is being compensated is the labor for the algorithm and the infrastructure supporting it, not the labor of composition. So, yes, lines are blurry, very blurry.

I guess we'd better get to work on some AI Intellectual Property attorneys next. ;)

Or would that be Artificial Intellectual Property?

Future is near ! I see the whole VI control community dancing on a hit artificially generated by AIVA program. I'm definitely IN (fifth row, the third from left, it's me). I signed up for the beta version and would really like to be involved in this project ! And, when I die, I'll bequeath my brain to them.

Seriously, I've heard the examples on Youtube. Sounds artificially great !

826.gif

The scary part, is that the majority of current 16 year olds see nothing wrong with the complete replacement of all human intelligence and creativity by machines.The only people who will be proud of their achievements will be the coders, before they're replaced as well.
But pull the plug, and we're all f*cked.
Build machines to do what we can't, but leave creativity alone!

I think this method just make an acceleration and assistance for music production. Some car now can auto parking, or airplanes with autopilot. In medical just like modern laser surgery, in accountancy just input a journal and it will give you a full finance report. Everyone now can sing with Melodyne with DNA,.. no worries of AIVA,. The world changes but still need a human to do that all.

Reading the comments is fascinating. I wonder how many would change had it not been mentioned this track was made by an AI.
I think it would be an interesting exercise if someone created an Aivabot and programmed it to engage in forum chit chat and occasionally post its music like a regular member. See whether it could pass the test. Maybe it's already happening.

I'm sure if someone posted this saying "hi I'm just starting out as a composer, and would like some feedback" the responses would generally be kind and welcoming. The music is not the issue really, it's the end result: automated creativity that replaces humans for cost cutting measures. When I think of the time, money and effort we've all spent on our craft and passion, the idea of an app doing a passable job of it, is quite discomforting..

I'm sure if someone posted this saying "hi I'm just starting out as a composer, and would like some feedback" the responses would generally be kind and welcoming. The music is not the issue really, it's the end result: automated creativity that replaces humans for cost cutting measures. When I think of the time, money and effort we've all spent on our craft and passion, the idea of an app doing a passable job of it, is quite discomforting..
Most certainly discomforting. And it makes me think a lot about what it is that music is. What is it that we are hearing when we listen to that piece by Aiva? How, if at all, would that change if we thought we were listening to a piece by a human being?

Then too if Aiva has to spit out 10 pieces to have one selected by a human as passable, what does that say. Now, what if it is 100 pieces, or a thousand, or ten thousand, etc. At what point does Aiva pass over to the state of an infinite number of monkeys typing at a keyboard... And at what point does the labor of sifting through innumerable bad variants to find the one good one become the actual work of music making—that is, discovery—in this brave new musical world?

still new to this, is Aiva a software plugin or is it a cloud service that requires internet?

Top Bottom