What's new

Agitato Sordino Legatos - "Let It Fall"

John Busby

Musician/Composer

Let if Fall

So, this one took a little longer than expected lol.
i was aiming to have this release out by the first day of winter but oh well, here it is nonetheless…

Instruments:
several patches from Albion V Tundra
Brass Hi and Low "Wind" patches for the wind FX
Hollywood Brass 6 Horn Legato
8dio Agitato Sordino Legatos
Olafur Arnalds Chamber Evos
Heavyocity Intimate Textures (i friggin love this library)
Live Electric Guitars
Studio Drummer
Drone patch and Sub from Project Chaos (i know right!?)
EXS24 Sub Bass
Woodchester Felt layered with Una Corda

Happy New Year!

completely scraped the second track a couple of weeks ago because i felt it didn't fully capture the tone and feel of Prelude.
I hope you enjoy this one!

Instruments:
several patches from Albion V Tundra for ambience namely the Brass Hi and Low "Wind" patches for the wind FX
8dio Agitato Sordino Legatos and arcs
Heavyocity Intimate Textures (i friggin love this library)
EXS24 Sub Bass
and of course, Spitfire's soft piano

Featuring all legatos from 8dio's Agitato Sordinos.
An older library, but man did they nail these strings!

Hope you like the arrangement.
i will be featuring these strings in more music underneath a short EP called "Autumn" over the next several weeks, completely free on SoundCloud.

Leave any thoughts below, Thanks!
Blessings,
-JB

Last edited:
I like it.

May I suggest:
Perhaps with some more strings - like a regular violin section (not sordino), or maybe a solo viola playing a melody/countermelody. But I also do know that sometimes, less is more.

You have some interesting harmonies. Very inspiring.

Thanks ism,
the ambient strings in the beginning are a blend of Heavyocity's Intimate Textures (Novo Exp 1) and a couple of Albion V patches.
The Intimate Textures are probably my favorite string sounds to layer with other libraries right now.
and it's at a great price, if you don't have this one it's highly recommended!

Thanks ism,
the ambient strings in the beginning are a blend of Heavyocity's Intimate Textures (Novo Exp 1) and a couple of Albion V patches.
The Intimate Textures are probably my favorite string sounds to layer with other libraries right now.
and it's at a great price, if you don't have this one it's highly recommended!

Thanks. And damn, I had convinced myself I didn’t need Intimate textures, but this makes me rethink that. The Heavocity demos (predictably) hadn’t suggested it was capable of quite this much subtlety.

Also - I think think might be my favorite use of agitato sordino in action, i much prefer it to all the hybrid leaning 8dio example. Look forward to the rest of you ep.

Was just listening to this again, and thinking (again) that it's really quite striking in how it mixes not-quite-convntional sonority with a conventionally beautiful counterpoint.

Any word of the rest of your EP?

thanks ism
i'm working on finalizing the second track, it's coming!
i really appreciate your support and feedback :)

Great - looking forward to it!

I've been thinking a lot lately about what it is about a certain type of composition that's emerged in recent years that feels somehow really new, despite not being able to point to any individual single element that's actually new. There's words like 'neo-classical' and 'nuanced-classical' and 'indy-classical' bouncing around, except that no one seem to know what they mean.

And while I agree with the above comment that there are elements of this composition that draw on the cinematic, it has this quality of newness that's so hard to define, and it isn't covered by simply calling it cinematic music. It's one of a handful of pieces I keep coming back to in that they seem really emblematic in their distillation of this newness, whatever it is.

So both excited to listen to and theorizing about the next piece on the EP.

Featuring all legatos from 8dio's Agitato Sordinos.
An older library, but man did they nail these strings!

Hope you like the arrangement.
i will be featuring these strings in more music underneath a short EP called "Autumn" over the next several weeks, completely free on SoundCloud.

Leave any thoughts below, Thanks!
Blessings,
-JB

Nice piece indeed. The Piano is live, correct? Not a library. Can you confirm. Thanks.

Great - looking forward to it!

I've been thinking a lot lately about what it is about a certain type of composition that's emerged in recent years that feels somehow really new, despite not being able to point to any individual single element that's actually new. There's words like 'neo-classical' and 'nuanced-classical' and 'indy-classical' bouncing around, except that no one seem to know what they mean.

And while I agree with the above comment that there are elements of this composition that draw on the cinematic, it has this quality of newness that's so hard to define, and it isn't covered by simply calling it cinematic music. It's one of a handful of pieces I keep coming back to in that they seem really emblematic in their distillation of this newness, whatever it is.

So both excited to listen to and theorizing about the next piece on the EP.
wow! man this a huge compliment.

i definitely know what you mean tho, i can't fully describe it either.
Olafur Arnalds has this unique style about him where he allows the intonation of a sound to not just reverberate, it kind of tells it's own story. i can't fully articulate it...
He offers just enough of the "familiar" and then gives us a sound or the harmonics or even sub harmonics of a sound that can be so hauntingly beautiful.

Very nice piece. Have listened twice. My only criticism would be that the interweaving lines of the strings that start around halfway through are so lovely and interesting that the piano part becomes superfluous and not necessary. But excellent work regardless. Thanks for sharing.

as mentioned above, i scrapped the second track entirely and wrote something else, that something else is November.
I hope you enjoy

Incredible work! Beautiful composition, man.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you get the Logic sub bass to sound so good? I use it all the time but it sticks out like a sore thumb sometimes, do you have any tips or tricks to get it to sit well, especially under strings? :)

Incredible work! Beautiful composition, man.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you get the Logic sub bass to sound so good? I use it all the time but it sticks out like a sore thumb sometimes, do you have any tips or tricks to get it to sit well, especially under strings? :)
Nathan, i appreciate that man thanks! i'm glad you liked it

And yea the EXS Sub has a strong attack so what i usually do along with using it an octave beneath the basses is use either the expression or track volume to automate and swell the sub in to match the expressiveness of the bassline.
this helps to attenuate the attack while also giving it some "breath"

Beautiful, haunting track! Great idea to use the wind fx at the outset.
Personally, I love 8Dio's strings, warts and all; they just have such a lovely sound.
My only suggestion would be to reconsider (more than one note?) the pedal under the piano: I just find that the tonic sustain steals from the power of the chord progression when the later moves away from the former, when there is tension in the piano - the resolution is always present in the strings.

This is very pretty! My only real critique is that the strings seem absolutely drenched in reverb. They're sitting in an entirely different world from the piano, mix-wise. And that reverb actually makes them sound less realistic.

Top Bottom