1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aggressive ostinato patterns

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Mads Skønberg, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Mads Skønberg

Mads Skønberg Senior Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Hi,
    Anyone has a link to ageessvive ostinato patterns shown in a piano roll?

2. sekkosiki

sekkosiki Senior Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Espoo
    I'm not sure if this is aggressive enough :), but I tested anyway. Quite simple pattern. I'm using Metropolis Ark 1 and Ark 3 layered.

Sid Francis, oks2024 and Mike Fox like this.
  3. Tekkera

Tekkera Senior Member

Mar 6, 2017
  4. OP
    OP
    Mads Skønberg

Mads Skønberg Senior Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Thanx guys.

Even better would be a screenshot of the pianoroll. I am trying to learn how to draw good ostinatoes.

Until now I have been playing the ostinatoes manually.

5. AlexanderSchiborr

AlexanderSchiborr Senior Member

May 1, 2014
    There in front of you is in both videos the piano roll. The Print button of the laptop will help you creating a jpeg of it.

6. Puzzlefactory

Puzzlefactory Senior Member

Nov 22, 2016
    I think you’re better off playing them to be honest.

I tried making an ostinato the other day using the melodic step sequencer in Push2. It turned out very robotic.

You need those tiny variations in velocity that you can only get by playing (or a humanise feature which Ableton doesn’t have).

7. mac

mac Guest

I hate drawing them in too, but Daniel James gets good results doing it that way, check out his vids.

8. AlexanderSchiborr

May 1, 2014
    Imo it depends on the libraries also. There are libraries with very short, precise and punchy attacks (adventure strings, trailer strings) where you can and should play them, but there are libraries with very inconsistent attacks on their round robins which ends up in a very sloppy sound. I do often a mix: I play them because then you have a more humanized and dynamic performance and after that I correct some timings if needed. I often tend to play a bit before the beat because of the natural attack so that they are in the right timing. In general I would recommend people: Learn playing..

9. sekkosiki

sekkosiki Senior Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Espoo
    Here's the screenshot:

ostinato.png

Kony and AlexanderSchiborr like this.
  10. AlexanderSchiborr

May 1, 2014
    sekkosiki likes this.