What's new

Affordable 4 output audio interface with 2 Windows WDM Stereo outs

I presume you aren't coding at a very low level as you would know if you were using the legacy wavOut or the newer DirectSound?

No, not at low level at all. Simple Visual Studio C# using the common API available from it, time is an issue as I have to have this ready for next week and all's working perfectly with windows audio, I just don't want to end up using unbalanced 1/8 plugs, too fragile for the customer.

No, not at low level at all. Simple Visual Studio C# using the common API available from it, time is an issue as I have to have this ready for next week and all's working perfectly with windows audio, I just don't want to end up using unbalanced 1/8 plugs, too fragile for the customer.
DirectSound should be fine I suspect unless you need legacy support for ancient hardware and operating systems.

Take a look at this link as it allows you to select AIs by features such as the number of Audio Outputs:

It won't tell you what driver support the outputs have but at least it narrows it down to what hardware to investigate.
You can tinker with the selector further.
The Roland Rubix24 is one to investigate.

Reactions: EgM
Hi there,

I'm looking for an affordable audio interface that has two stereo outs available in WDM regular windows audio because I'm coding an automation application and found out that the Steinberg UR44 I had to work with only has the main 1/2 outputs available to Windows audio...

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hello Folks,

Im looking for the same Audio-Interface for a longer time now. 4x TRS balanced outputs / with seperate WDM, MME, Direct Sound,... use.

What I know so far for SURE:

Im currently using an old ESI MAYA44 PCI (Yes PCI! not PCIe) and it does support the feature you want to have. It has one Main Mix Output and seperate 1/2 and 3/4 Outputs in Windows. But it comes with several problems. First it's an EndOfLife Product and its latest drivers are from 2016... . Second i sometimes get interference/noise with the card beeing 'too close' to other cards or the PSU in the system. And for the last point, i don't know why but sometimes the sound get's really crispy, distorted and broken if i play f.e. a youtube video (several times play/pause helps to let the card find its way).
[picture1]

ESI still has a refreshed version of the MAYA44ex [https://www.thomann.de/gb/esi_maya44_ex.htm] as a PCIe card and a USB Interface type U86xt [https://www.thomann.de/gb/esi_u86_xt.htm], which will support what you want to do. Downside: Just 24bit/96kHz max.

I personally don't want to have a PCI card anymore, but was looking for a more portable allrounder.
=> So i tried the Roland Rubix 24 and got disappointed.
It has a nice look, nice metal casing, pretty neet options, BUT a miserable driver/control panel and again just one WDM multichanneling I/O under Windows.

What I know so far with some gaps:

I've seen a video on Youtube, where somebody was working with the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 [youtube : EEok44nti3E?t=457] (MK1 or MK2?? don't know for sure) and he had multiple WDM devices under Windows.
But again there is a HUUUGE BUT. Because Ive heard from couple of tests that the NI Komplete Audio 6 is a slick looking Audio Interface, but it doesn' have a really solid casing, some minor -not nice to listen- boost in mid frequencies (compared to similar interfaces form presonus/scarlett/...), bad support, NOT EVEN A MANUAL (srsly...).
I'm not that pretty sure if the multiple devices under Windows got removed on the MK2.
[picture2]

What I've heard:

Best to go is RME. I don't know one single musician/engineer/producer who said that RME is sh..bad.
RME delivers a good set of drivers and good support, but in the other hand is not that cheap (500€< and up for normal). And to the point i know is that they aswell support multiple WDM channels.

I was looking forward to test the Steinberg U44C, because 4 analog outputs, USB 3.0 connectivity, 32bit/192kHz. But like you tested no multiple WDM devices under Windows so...

At the moment I am searching the internet for videos/forums for compability of the following Interfaces:
- Scarlett 4i4 3rd gen.
- Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen.
- Scarlett 8i6 3rd gen.
- Presonus Studio 26c
- Presonus Studio 86c
- MOTU M4

Cheers!

Attachments

• maya44.jpg
    maya44.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 7
  • komplete audio 6.jpg
    komplete audio 6.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
At the moment I am searching the internet for videos/forums for compability of the following Interfaces:
- Scarlett 4i4 3rd gen.
- Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen.
- Scarlett 8i6 3rd gen.
- Presonus Studio 26c
- Presonus Studio 86c
- MOTU M4
I've had reasonably good luck with both Focusrite and Presonus tech support (on other issues). I'd suggest contacting them directly. I can't comment on MOTU's support, though.

I agree with everything you say about RME.

I've had reasonably good luck with both Focusrite and Presonus tech support (on other issues). I'd suggest contacting them directly. I can't comment on MOTU's support, though.

I agree with everything you say about RME.
Focusrite seems like the way to go. Just captured a picture out of one of their FocusriteHelp video's, somehow proving that it's supported. [picture1]
I guess i'll call them tommorow.

Attachments

• Focusrite Support Video.jpg
    Focusrite Support Video.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 14
Focusrite seems like the way to go. Just captured a picture out of one of their FocusriteHelp video's, somehow proving that it's supported. [picture1]
I guess i'll call them tommorow.

Awesome!! Thank you Darez! Do you happen to know which model Focusrite it is?

Awesome!! Thank you Darez! Do you happen to know which model Focusrite it is?
Well good news on that. Had a nice chat with one of their technical support employee.
He stated that at the moment it is possible with the current BETA drivers and will be a feature in the next upcoming driver:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for getting in touch via chat today.

I can confirm that the next release driver will likely have multiple WDM inputs and outputs and will work with all Scarlett and Clarett USB interfaces. In the meantime, the BETA driver is perfectly fine to use.

I hope that answers your question fully, here is the link to the driver once again for your convenience:
https://beta.focusrite.com/file.php?id=1367

Best regards

I'll go for the Scarlett 8i6 3rd gen for now :)

Hello,

is there any news on this research?

I am also looking for a Interface which is able to provide at least 2 WDM channels under Windows10.
I need 1 for normal speaker and 1 for headphone out.
(And it must be at least supported in ubuntu as normal soundcard).

I can say that my old MOTU Microbook II has all these (3 separate WDM channels in total) .. but has driver problems in Linux -> bad for me.

I also tested some devices, which dont support multi WDM:
- Presonus Studio 26c
- Steinberg UR12
- Native Instruments Komplete Audio 1

IIRC, the "MOTU M2" did support at least 2 WDMs...

For my customer's application that I coded for them on measure in 2020: 1 output from projector playing movies, and the 2nd running the PA announcing in the museum ceilings (both scheduled over time) I ended up using a Behringer UMC404HD and it has been working splendidly since then. I highly recommend it. This is government facility in Tourism.

It allowed me to use Output 1/2 and Output 3/4 independently from the Windows Mixer from different sources or from the same using different output ports, ALL in WDM.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Well good news on that. Had a nice chat with one of their technical support employee.
He stated that at the moment it is possible with the current BETA drivers and will be a feature in the next upcoming driver:

Thanks for getting in touch via chat today.

I can confirm that the next release driver will likely have multiple WDM inputs and outputs and will work with all Scarlett and Clarett USB interfaces. In the meantime, the BETA driver is perfectly fine to use.

I hope that answers your question fully, here is the link to the driver once again for your convenience:
https://beta.focusrite.com/file.php?id=1367

Best regards

I'll go for the Scarlett 8i6 3rd gen for now :)

BTW, i also checked with Focusrite about this.
Their answer:
The Scarlett 8i6, Scarlett 18i8, Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen models will allow for independent control between the line outs and the headphone outs. The Scarlett 2i2 and the Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen do not offer such capability.

There is also a way to expose all the WDM channels for the interface. You will simply need to follow the steps from the article below:

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en...t-inputs-outputs-in-non-ASIO-apps-on-Windows-

Top Bottom