Advice please: VSTs based on ease-of-use / auto-articulation / etc

OP
ThatAdamGuy

ThatAdamGuy

Reasonably Social Geek
Heh, yeah, doctoremmet... speaking of high prices... the cost of their unbundled VIs is also crazy (in comparison).

FlyingAndi... I spoke, er, typed too soon. Looks like the Europe half-pricing is actually relevant to me after all! As I just noted in that thread, it seems we Americans can either download, say, a K12S--> K12U (and get upgraded to K13U in October) for ~$493 from Best Service via download or Gear4Music for $430 (including fast DHL shipping!) from Gear4Music.

Only downside of the latter is the likelihood of tacked-on customs + DHL-dealing-with-customs fees :( (don't know how common that is, since I'm usually not ordering stuff from overseas).

bill5

As a hobbyist, the price hurts my eyes (cost of Infinite Brass + Kontact)... but I know quality is not cheap,
Wanna bet? :)

While "you get what you pay for" is probably more true with orchestral plugins than anything else, do yourself a favor and slap a huge grain of salt on that regarding plugins generally. There are great plugins that are cheap or even free and pricey ones that suck (subjective with specifics of course, I'm speaking generally). Do not think X is better than Y just because it costs more. It all varies. A lot.

Sorry I don't have recommendations for orchestral plugins, but I'm listening as I'm window shopping as well.

I'm not sure why people are recommending Kontakt when you have Komplete. Doesn't that include Kontakt (or the same abilities) i.e. to load samples?

OP
ThatAdamGuy

ThatAdamGuy

Reasonably Social Geek
Ha! Fair points, bill5. I mean, look at online... there's a lot of great stuff for free even (Wikipedia comes to mind, for instance!). But I think what I was trying to get at (and failing) was that hard, thoughtful work from people like Aaron deserves compensation*. In other words, good quality deserves not-cheapo prices, IMHO. I've felt this more and more as my circle of artist / writer friends has gotten bigger!

Re Kontakt... I guess there was a misunderstanding. I don't yet have it; I recently bought the NI S88 keyboard, but it comes with Komplete Select and Kontakt Player, not Kontakt (yeah, as I've ranted earlier, NI really sucks at naming). Some VIs can be loaded in the free Kontakt Player, but others --like the Infinite products -- require the 'full' version of Kontakt.

However, I just bought a Kontakt Select --> Komplete 12 Ultimate upgrade from Gear4Music (for $425, yay!), so when that (hopefully) arrives this week, I'll be an owner of Kontakt, K12U, and -- crossing fingers -- K13U on Oct 1.

* Edited to add my story of free = worthless below:

I've been playing piano since age 4 and all through junior high and high school I enjoyed accompanying vocalists and instrumentalists. In college, I continued to accompany fellow musicians but was dismayed at the contrasting lack of respect I got compared to my high school days. Then a kind and blunt friend clued me in: "Adam, if you don't charge money, then that's what people assume your talent is worth: zero. ****'in charge people!"

So I did. And then I started getting, again, lots of respect... even gifts, social invitations, etc. Because someone who charges a good amount (but not a crazy high amount) must be "worth it," right? :-(. Stupid human psychology aside, this also firmed up in my mind that artists need to charge money; they (generally) shouldn't give away their work for free.

Last edited:

bill5

Ha! Fair points, bill5. I mean, look at online... there's a lot of great stuff for free even (Wikipedia comes to mind, for instance!). But I think what I was trying to get at (and failing) was that hard, thoughtful work from people like Aaron deserves compensation*. In other words, good quality deserves not-cheapo prices, IMHO. I've felt this more and more as my circle of artist / writer friends has gotten bigger!
ah sure....but regarding plugins, circumstances vary and it isn't really about "deserves," but what they can get or try to get. Pricing and marketing is a complex and tricky game. :) Frankly I'm not sure why there are so many people and companies who offer mostly or entirely free plugins (but so glad); my guess is again it varies. Some figure no one will pay for a company they never heard of, so a freebie gets them in the door, and if people like their work, it could lead to other things. Some might be the opposite, they're already established and don't really need the extra income and want to do something nice for artists. etc. (Paying musicians is another thing, your story and point are good ones)

Re Kontakt... I guess there was a misunderstanding. I don't yet have it; I recently bought the NI S88 keyboard, but it comes with Komplete Select and Kontakt Player, not Kontakt
My bad, I thought you had a full version of Komplete. Much as I dislike NI and Kontakt, for orchestral work it does seem to be a no-brainer because so many things are built to be used in it (including some excellent free ones). Good purchase!

(yeah, as I've ranted earlier, NI really sucks at naming).
I'll resist the temptation to get on an NI rant!

OP
ThatAdamGuy

ThatAdamGuy

Reasonably Social Geek
As you've seen, I'm really a newbie in this space, and I look forward to diving in and learning more about a lot of these awesome free VIs. As long as they're easy to use (since I'm prioritizing ease-of-use above most other stuff right now) :). I need another weeklong staycation just to catch up on this forum! :o

bill5

There are so many...how good they are and easy to use is, of course, subjective...there's two good threads on the site, one for instruments (VIs) and one for other stuff like effects.

OP
ThatAdamGuy

ThatAdamGuy

Reasonably Social Geek
HA! No, doctoremmet, I think it's more that I've been blathering on and haven't been particularly precise at times. The only idiots are the NI naming/branding peeps :P (I'm just glad they didn't name the MIDI controller the Komplete Kontrol Keyboard; sorry, I'm sure someone else has made that in-poor-taste-joke before).

doctoremmet

HA! No, doctoremmet, I think it's more that I've been blathering on and haven't been particularly precise at times. The only idiots are the NI naming/branding peeps :P (I'm just glad they didn't name the MIDI controller the Komplete Kontrol Keyboard; sorry, I'm sure someone else has made that in-poor-taste-joke before).
Was just kidding mate. Marketing is the worst!

bill5

I may be an idiot and a VST hoarder, but I have NEVER been anything even remotely connected to a sheeple.

David Cuny

One hit short of being a one-hit wonder.
Specifically, I'm in love with the Bohemian Violin I purchased -- its auto-articulation mode is delightfully sufficient for brainstorming/noodling -- and would love your thoughts on similarly plug-'n'-play / sounds-great-out-of-the-box VSTs.
I've found that SampleModeling and AudioModeling libraries - designed to work with breath/wind controllers - can be quite expressive and simpler to play.

Others have found wind/breath controllers to be unnatural, and not at all to their liking, so YMMV.