What's new

Advice on Latin Music Kontakt Libraries (not Percussion).

Leslie Fuller

As posted in another thread here, I’ve gained much valuable information on Latin Percussion Kontakt Libraries for my current gig helping an Afro-Cuban / Latin Jazz Percussionist to record his music.

As he is very adept on many hand percussion instruments, he wants virtual instruments which would be suitable for a Latin sound without the expense of hiring live musicians until he is absolutely ready.

Obviously, this would be Brass Section, Piano and Bass etc., but he also composes Tangoes, and Argentine Tangoes with Guitar, Violin, Flute, and Bandoneón. Also, Big Band Latin Jazz library suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Having three trumpets that can each play a different note and sound like an ensemble is probably going to come in very handy. SampleModeling certainly can do that, Straight Ahead Jazz Horns also can. Trombone is also important, saxes might or might not be needed depending on style.

For piano, a bright grand would be the typical choice. For bass I'd go with a modern active 5-string electric, but if you don't have one then any Fender Jazz Bass samples will do, especially if the lower range is extended. Double bass for jazzier stuff, with the usual jazz recommendations applying, but you might need a close-miked bowed solo bass if the tango stuff gets really old-school. For a traditional salsa sound you'd want an Ampeg Baby Bass, but I don't think one's been deep-sampled yet, so...

You may be aware of the new 8DIO Salsa library (Volume One) that came out this week. I was not fond of the initial mock-ups a few weeks back, but the first few of the many that are on the website now -- presumably the winners of the competition for demos -- are quite impressive all around, in terms of realism of phrasing, timbre, and playing nuances.

I don't see it listed yet in product announcements here; maybe I got a loyal customer advance alert.

In fact, I erased the link just now, as I cannot navigate directly to the page that linked from the newsletter sent out today, so it may not be proper yet to share the demos link here.

It's the first of three volumes, and is $98 until 15 October when it goes to $198.

Tenor Sax, Trombone, Trumpet, Piano, Baby Bass (Ampeg acoustic/electric hybrid?), Bongos, Cajon, Congas (5 sizes), Cowbells, Guiro, Shekere, Timbales, Maracas, Vocals. Also unison ensembles, phrases, rhythmic patterns, etc.

Apparently, recorded in Colombia (at least partially). Many different styles covered, but not Cumbia?!

35 GB pre-compression.

I think it might be exclusively phrases (no single hits).

Last edited:
Ah, the Baby Bass. Those are a 60s attempt to make an electric double bass. Fiberglass body, weird bridge and pickup. Hard to get a good arco sound, doesn't really sound like a double bass plucked, but the "boing" became the traditional bass sound in salsa.

If this is all phrases, then someone still oughta sample one of those in depth someday, like I said two posts above...

Here's the website for the product details and demos, stripped of email promotional verbosity in the original URL:

(broken link removed)

I agree about the Baby Bass, and personally do not choose it for those reasons. I do understand why it became prevalent in Puerto Rico at least (in Cuba, I saw mostly real acoustic basses, and bass guitars).

Top Bottom