What's new

Additional SSD Decision

easyrider

Just finished chatting with Dell support - seems I have maxed out my internal ports. Live & learn - I didn't think I'd be blowing through storage this fast (ha). I'll probably get a 4Tb internal and an external 4 bay docking station so I can move the data from the 2Tb to the 4Tb easily and then have that as an expansion option.
Hmmm....open up your case and take a look?

rnb_2

Rick Baumhauer
I haven't bought a 3.5" hard drive in a long time, but if I was in the market, I'd keep an eye on Backblaze's drive stats (the latest is here) to get an idea which drive models are performing well for them.

I think a lot of people were probably burned by Seagate's 3TB drives about a decade ago - Backblaze's examination of the failure record for those drives is pretty illuminating. The failure rates for the major drive manufacturers are pretty good across the board right now, however.

EgM

Game music!
My best recommendation for 3.5 rotary drives is WD RE series! if they still exist, I haven't been keeping track...

edit:

They still do! :) (canadian link but you should be getting a link for your country I assume)

edit2: Oops, reading comprehension eh? You want an ssd drive lmao

EgM

Game music!
(Yeah I read the thread now ;) )

I'd get a 870 EVO 1 TB SSD or equivalent, WD, Intel or such

Or 2Tb/4Tb if you need that much and just get a cheap USB3 enclosure to put it in. Just be sure that you're not using the same USB3 bus to drive all those external drives if you want true iops.

Tatiana Gordeeva

Just jumping in the discussion...About storage in general. Based on my own experience of the last few years:
  • Fastest meanest storage: NVMe on PCIe 4.0. Samsung 980 Pro. 7000 MB/s READ & 5100 MB/s WRITE !!! I just put 2 of them in my recent build. Lightning fast!
  • Best source for reliability info of HDDs: https://www.backblaze.com/b2/hard-drive-test-data.html
    They report every 3 months on the status of their 170000+ HDDs (Yes! 170 thousand drives!)
  • Reliability-wise HDDs & SSDs:
    • Best HDDs for years are Hitachi (HGST) drives. I have 60TB of them in a RAID 6 running for 4 years 24/7 without one failure
    • Worst ones ever were the Seagate infamous 3TB of years back (during Asian floods). I had 20+ of them fail on me one after the other
    • Since then: I have a dozen Seagate 8TB running for years, also many external USB 3.0 ones also without one failure
    • WD: learned the hard way to distrust them long ago, didn't try them back since then (I think they bought HGST so I would trust those models)
    • SSDs: they fail too! Bought 8 identical ones once and one failed 6 months later (Plextor I think they were). Now I use many Seagate 1TB (with backups of course) because they're cheap. No problem.
Never underestimate the necessity of multiple backups. RAIDs are not backups. Disks are cheap but time is invaluable. Store safely! ;)

Last edited:
OP
LauraC

LauraC

Animal kissin, tree hugging, dirt worshiper
(Yeah I read the thread now ;) )

I'd get a 870 EVO 1 TB SSD or equivalent, WD, Intel or such

Or 2Tb/4Tb if you need that much and just get a cheap USB3 enclosure to put it in. Just be sure that you're not using the same USB3 bus to drive all those external drives if you want true iops.

Just jumping in the discussion...About storage in general. Based on my own experience of the last few years:
  • Fastest meanest storage: NVMe on PCIe 4.0. Samsung 980 Pro. 7000 MB/s READ & 5100 MB/s WRITE !!! I just put 2 of them in my recent build. Lightning fast!
  • Best source for reliability info of HDDs: https://www.backblaze.com/b2/hard-drive-test-data.html
    They report every 3 months on the status of their 170000+ HDDs (Yes! 170 thousand drives!)
  • Reliability-wise HDDs & SSDs:
    • Best HDDs for years are Hitachi (HGST) drives. I have 60TB of them in a RAID 6 running for 4 years 24/7 without one failure
    • Worst ones ever were the Seagate infamous 3TB of years back (during Asian floods). I had 20+ of them fail on me one after the other
    • Since then: I have a dozen Seagate 8TB running for years, also many external USB 3.0 ones also without one failure
    • WD: learned the hard way to distrust them long ago, didn't try them back since then (I think they bought HGST so I would trust those models)
    • SSDs: they fail too! Bought 8 identical ones once and one failed 6 months later (Plextor I think they were). Now I use many Seagate 1TB (with backups of course) because they're cheap. No problem.
Never underestimate the necessity of multiple backups. RAIDs are not backups. Disks are cheap but time is invaluable. Store safely! ;)
Hey, Tatiana - Thanks for such a detailed response. Yep - I backup Data to two external HDDs and a cloud source. I can now rebuild a crashed PC in record time! (BTW, loved hearing your music and reading through your gear page!)

Tatiana Gordeeva

Hey, Tatiana - Thanks for such a detailed response... BTW, loved hearing your music and reading through your gear page!
Hello Laura and thank you for your kind words! Sorry for my long post (in the way echoing some of @rnb_2 's own post) but not exactly answering your question. I had too much time I guess and needed to vent about storage :) My main workstation was down, being upgraded. Oh and by the way: if you read about my gear setup from my website it is a really old one. That's one of the reasons why my website is being reworked completely: I used Wix to build the current one years ago and some plugin to list my gear but this plugin has now disappeared and I cannot even update that page anymore! Computers sometimes!! :rolleyes:

Tatiana Gordeeva

Speaking of storage headaches... :) While my main system was down I took the opportunity to take a picture of my server-side machine "Ganesh" (the elephant god) :elephant:configured as a RAID 6 (but still backed up off-site and online)

1620670371389.png

The gaffer tape on both disk arrays is to damp vibrations as when all disks are running this thing hums like a washing machine! :shocked::)

OP
LauraC

LauraC

Animal kissin, tree hugging, dirt worshiper
Speaking of storage headaches... :) While my main system was down I took the opportunity to take a picture of my server-side machine "Ganesh" (the elephant god) :elephant:configured as a RAID 6 (but still backed up off-site and online)

View attachment 49665

The gaffer tape on both disk arrays is to damp vibrations as when all disks are running this thing hums like a washing machine! :shocked::)
Well, naming your server for the "remover of obstacles" was a smart move! :)

Tralen

Only truly focus on future ... soooo .... what is advised alternative (HDD /NAS) ? ____ Western Digital ?
In USA, and could make some difference ? :notworthy:
I had an enormous failure rate with Seagate on servers. If not for a recording room, take a look at Hitachi/HGST drives, I find them extremely reliable (but extremely noisy).

Top Bottom