What's new

Action-Music Course - Lessons 4-6

Ludwig

action-music-4-6 - 7.jpg

Film Music Notes is happy to announce the next set of lessons for Action-Music Harmony in Classic Blockbuster Films at the launch sale price of $99! Through these lessons, learn the most common harmonies for the two action scales of hexatonic and Hungarian minor. Then see how scales interact with planing harmonies and how octatonic, hexatonic, and Hungarian minor scales combine in sophisticated action music.

Find out more on the courses page, where you can navigate to each group of lessons to see their contents, watch a preview, and enroll in the course.

Hurry, sale ends Oct. 15!

Lessons 1-3 were absolutely fantastic. The new set was an insta purchase, and I'm crazy excited to dive in again! Thanks so much for making this available!

The first course (1-3) was absolutely fantastic, and I'm still learning and drawing inspiration from it. Hell yeah, this new one (4-6) was a very quick buy for me. Can't wait to dig in. I'm really grateful for quality intermediate-level courses like this.

Thanks for your enthusiasm, everyone! I'm glad to see people here enjoyed lessons 1-3 so much that they're excited for these new ones too.

By the way, one request that came up a few times with lessons 1-3 was to somehow facilitate taking notes. So I added a new section called "Quick Reference" with ALL lessons, which summarizes the main points of each section on one or more slides you can quickly click through with filter buttons. So even if you bought lessons 1-3 before, you'll now see this Quick Reference section added to each lesson, and of course with the new lessons 4-6 as well. I hope this makes it easier to retain and revisit material whenever needed.

I'm a working composer and have studied these concepts fairly extensively. The course looks great. I'm wondering about jumping ahead and starting with course 2 or 3?

Does anybody have any thoughts on that?

I'm a working composer and have studied these concepts fairly extensively. The course looks great. I'm wondering about jumping ahead and starting with course 2 or 3?

Does anybody have any thoughts on that?
You can certainly do that since I designed these courses so that there are no prerequisites for each one. Just to tell you a bit about them, these courses are part of a series only because there are so many different harmonic systems going on in classic blockbuster action cues that it requires that much explanation to cover. So the idea is that each course is a part of that larger endeavor. That's the way I thought of them, anyway.

And I always make these courses based on original research so what's highlighted in the course are things that haven't been discussed before, as far as I can tell! So in Action 1, for example, the approach to octatonic music is, to the best of my knowledge, unique in identifying the Alpha chord as an important source of so many harmonic materials in classic action music.

But yes, you can absolutely start with whichever you like!

Last edited:
Top Bottom